#21 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 09:43 PM

Heritage status for Beacon Hill
By Bill Cleverley,
Times Colonist
November 6, 2009

Beacon Hill Park will be protected as a municipal heritage site.

City councillors agreed yesterday to the designation recommended by senior heritage planner Steve Barber, who calls Beacon Hill one of the most significant Canadian public parks of the nineteenth century -- comparable to Mount Royal Park in Montreal. Ross Bay Cemetery has been a municipal heritage site since 1997.

#22 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 02:16 PM

City councillors agreed yesterday to the designation recommended by senior heritage planner Steve Barber, who calls Beacon Hill one of the most significant Canadian public parks of the nineteenth century...Ross Bay Cemetery has been a municipal heritage site since 1997.

The Johnson Street Bridge had no comment.

#23 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 08:37 PM

The Johnson Street Bridge had no comment.

Watch it, that sounds ...political.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#24 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 10:26 PM

I've been very impressed by the bridge's conduct through all of this. As far as I'm aware it hasn't said anything derogatory about Beacon Hill Park or the cemetery, or even about those darned cupboards inside Rogers' Chocolates.

#25 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 10:28 PM

That's probably a good thing. Otherwise someone might suggest the bridge is circling the wagons around the park. Wouldn't that be a spectacle?
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#26 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 10:16 AM

Traffic model can only be viewed today

Times Colonist
November 21, 2009

A computerized model showing proposed changes to traffic in Beacon Hill Park is only available to be viewed by the public at an open house today, between 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. in the Victoria City Hall antechamber. A story on page A4 yesterday incorrectly said the model could be viewed at other times at city hall.
© Copyright © The Victoria Times Colonist
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#27 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 02:35 PM

They are changing the park? I hope they went through the heritage advisory board. Those are heritage roadways in the park.

EDIT: Oh and WTF THEY HAVE FREAKIN COMPUTERIZED MODEL AND YOU HAVE TO GO LOOK AT IN PERSON???? ARE YOU FREAKIN SERIOUS!!!???

FRICK WHY DO THEY HAVE A WEBSITE??????????????????????????????????????????????????

#28 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 November 2009 - 02:45 PM

They are changing the park? I hope they went through the heritage advisory board. Those are heritage roadways in the park.

EDIT: Oh and WTF THEY HAVE FREAKIN COMPUTERIZED MODEL AND YOU HAVE TO GO LOOK AT IN PERSON???? ARE YOU FREAKIN SERIOUS!!!???

FRICK WHY DO THEY HAVE A WEBSITE??????????????????????????????????????????????????

This *is* Victoria... ;)

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#29 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 02:48 PM

G-Man, to be fair to the City, their machine that you go look at is much more powerful than anything we might have at home:

See, it seems to have some type of drive module, so you take the wheel and even take a simulated "drive" through Beacon Hill Park. And it does look as though you can take a print-out home with you after it prints off under the keyboard there.

#30 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 03:04 PM

G-Man, to be fair to the City, their machine that you go look at is much more powerful than anything we might have at home:

See, it seems to have some type of drive module, so you take the wheel and even take a simulated "drive" through Beacon Hill Park. And it does look as though you can take a print-out home with you after it prints off under the keyboard there.

Whoa..........bad photoshopped image. :D

#31 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 03:15 PM

Nah they just didn't have perspective back then.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#32 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 07:23 PM

So did anyone dash out to City Hall to view this presentation? I never got a chance to promote my monster truck racetrack and bmx course.

There's nothing substantive online except for this:

Vehicle traffic within the park, however, is a safety concern due to speeding and the park’s use as a short-cut by drivers.

The City of Victoria is developing a plan that will guide traffic and trail improvements and increase public safety, while maintaining Beacon Hill Park for the enjoyment of the community.

It sounds like they'll block an entrance and do traffic calming. I admit I've never known this to be a problem. Do cars race through here? The only "shortcut" I see is Dallas Road and I don't think there's a practical alternate route.

Here's a map.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#33 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 07:25 PM

I laughed at "short cut" too.

#34 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 07:32 PM

^Surely they don't mean entering The Circle off Douglas and onto Heywood and Park Blvd?

#35 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 07:39 PM

^Surely they don't mean entering The Circle off Douglas and onto Heywood and Park Blvd?

Just can't see any advantage here:

:confused:

#36 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 05 May 2010 - 01:03 PM

Talking with someone linked to this today. Looks like they are now considering closing the park to all vehicles and possibly removal of paved surfaces

#37 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 May 2010 - 01:10 PM

Talking with someone linked to this today. Looks like they are now considering closing the park to all vehicles and possibly removal of paved surfaces

Yes, let's make it less accessible so more people can enjoy it. :rolleyes:

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#38 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 01:20 PM

I would make sense to close all roads but circle drive.

#39 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 01:49 PM

More and more they want to turn our CITY PARK into james bay's private secret garden. No events, no food or drink, and now no parking or vehicle access??
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#40 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 05 May 2010 - 03:55 PM

More and more they want to turn our CITY PARK into james bay's private secret garden. No events, no food or drink, and now no parking or vehicle access??

Lets not overreact here, lets see how this plays through. Should be some type of public announcement in the next few days.....Then the fireworks can really get going!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users