#41 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 03:51 AM

Rebels look to stay on a roll

Game Day: KAMLOOPS at Victoria, 4 P.M.

By Pedro Arrais, Times Colonist July 31, 2010 3:05 AM

The Victoria Rebels kicked off this year's B.C. Football Conference season with a convincing win last weekend against Chilliwack and hope to do more of the same today.

Their 55-27 win over the Chilliwack Huskers in their first game gave them an auspicious start to the 2010 regular season. Rebels president Roger Wade says although the Huskers were worthy opponents, they were hamstrung by new players.

"Chilliwack has a young team," says Wade. "They have a dedicated coaching staff but a lot of young players."

They're not alone.

Read more: http://www.timescolo...l#ixzz0vGATlKpg
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#42 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 01:38 AM

Rebels hammer weary Broncos

VICTORIA 23 KAMLOOPS 7

By David Karp, Times Colonist July 31, 2010

Read more: http://www.timescolo...l#ixzz0vLU3VgSf
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#43 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 01:01 AM

Rebels eye revenge in rematch with Rams

Game Day: Victoria at Surrey, 4 P.M.

By Sharie Epp, Times Colonist August 14, 2010 1:10 AM

Seventeen penalties on Saturday adds up to 17 gassers on Wednesday.

Having his team run 17 sprints up and down Bear Mountain Stadium at the end of practice this week was coach John Cardilicchia's way of reminding his boys about the 17 penalties they took in a 35-17 loss to the South Surrey Rams last weekend.

Read more: http://www.timescolo...l#ixzz0wZLiOAUK

#44 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:27 AM

Rebels are having another poor season.  The team has really gone downhill since 10 years ago, when they would regularly get over 1,500 fans per game.   Now they might be lucky to get 400.  You know what would be a good match, pairing them up with the HarbourCats for more marketing efforts. 

#45 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:16 AM

^ I don't know if that would help. 400 says to me they are getting friends and family plus a few diehards. Marketing a sports team in this town has to include an awareness of realistic numbers at the particular level of play. ie. I don't think the Harbour Cats, Royals or Highlanders have significant room to grow their regular season attendance base so long as they are playing in their current leagues.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#46 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:22 AM

^ I don't know if that would help. 400 says to me they are getting friends and family plus a few diehards. Marketing a sports team in this town has to include an awareness of realistic numbers at the particular level of play. ie. I don't think the Harbour Cats, Royals or Highlanders have significant room to grow their regular season attendance base so long as they are playing in their current leagues.

I think it's about adding value.  You gotta have more than just a game going on.  8,000 people go to the darned beer fest every year and they pay $40 or whatever to go.  What if every game had a mini beer festival at it?  The Rebels only play 4 or 5 home games, to me that seems pretty easy to build events around.

#47 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:00 AM

And it is football. I think the other 3 sports have a bigger following at that level because people actually play the sports. Not a lot of pick up football games. 

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#48 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:06 AM

And it is football. I think the other 3 sports have a bigger following at that level because people actually play the sports. Not a lot of pick up football games. 

For televised sport ratings, isn't football #2 in Canada (CFL, NFL)?  So it's not like people don't understand the game.

#49 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:11 AM

True but I think when you are watching minor league stuff you have people that play the sports being a large amount of the following. I could be way off base though. Also I would never drive to Langford to watch a game as I could not drink in the stands which is half the fun. 

It has a whole new look!

#50 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:13 AM

You can't drink at Westhills Stadium?  Are you sure?

#51 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:17 AM

I think you can. Just I can't, as it is both dangerous and illegal. 

It has a whole new look!

#52 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:18 AM

I think you can. Just I can't, as it is both dangerous and illegal. 

When rugby was there there was beer.  Why would it be different than RAP?

#53 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:28 AM

I can walk to RAP.

It has a whole new look!

#54 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:28 AM

What I am saying is that I think that perhaps their decline had more to do with a move away from a population base that can easily access the site than with anything else. 

It has a whole new look!

#55 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:53 AM

What I am saying is that I think that perhaps their decline had more to do with a move away from a population base that can easily access the site than with anything else. 

Ah, got it.  Ya, I was talking to a guy that was complaining about that the other day.  It's a bit of a hike in from the closest bus.  But no more than than the hike in from your downtown Vancouver hotel to the stadium etc.

I really think all the sports teams ought to have very low prices for kids, like $1.  That's the one demographic that would never really go to games alone.  I went to game alone (or with brothers and other kids etc.) when I was a kid, not sure why I never see that today.  So I don't think it would eat into their revenue at all.  See if you can get the municipality take off the head tax (in the case of Save On at least) for kids tickets.

The key to any good promotion for teams, is to get tickets into the hands of people that would not normally buy tickets.  What I mean is, it's no problem to hand out 5,000 free tickets, as long as those don't get into the hands of those that would buy anyway.  I mean, for the Rebels, they could do one game that all LANGFORD residents get into for free, one day for Highlands, one for View Royal etc.  Show ID at the gate to get in. 

#56 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:53 AM

^ I agree with G-Man here. I would see a football game in town but it's a hard sell to head out there for international rugby let alone local minor-football.

#57 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,321 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:58 PM

Ah, got it. Ya, I was talking to a guy that was complaining about that the other day. It's a bit of a hike in from the closest bus. But no more than than the hike in from your downtown Vancouver hotel to the stadium etc.

That makes no sense. vancouvers main stadiums are both very close to downtown. Most people would consider them the start of downtown. 10 blocks or less from many hotels or otherwise a 2 minute cheap train ride.

Edited by lanforod, 13 August 2014 - 01:59 PM.

#58 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 04:24 PM

That makes no sense. vancouvers main stadiums are both very close to downtown. Most people would consider them the start of downtown. 10 blocks or less from many hotels or otherwise a 2 minute cheap train ride.

I'm comparing the 400m walk from transit to Westhills, to the walk from downtown Vancouver hotels to BC Place.  Not the walk from downtown Victoria to Westhills. 

#59 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,321 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 13 August 2014 - 04:53 PM

Fair enough but it is the wrong comparison. Location makes a huge difference. I'm more likely to go to something in RAP or SOFMA as opposed to Langford. Drinking and driving is one issue. Another is the perception of a high quality venue with multiple thousands of seats.

#60 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:29 AM

I think it's about adding value.  You gotta have more than just a game going on.  8,000 people go to the darned beer fest every year and they pay $40 or whatever to go.  What if every game had a mini beer festival at it?  The Rebels only play 4 or 5 home games, to me that seems pretty easy to build events around.

If you have to "add value" then why are you bothering in the first place? I agree that better food and beer selections helps but if the main attraction is not enough to bring people out then you have a bigger problem. People don't go to BC Lions Games to play slot machines, attend a whisky tasting class or watch highland dancers.

The real killer is the  "4 or 5 home games".  With so few games it is hard to build interest amongst casual fans. The baseball does so well because the casual fan knows that there a lots of games to see and since they play the same teams repeatedly if you miss one it is not a big deal. As well the longer season gives local media time to actually cover the team with a variety of stories and lets them schedule interviews and personal interest stories which can be canned and used when needed. A short season means every event is a special event and it takes more effort and planning to produce the same kind of stories so it usually doesn't get covered as well.

Location makes a huge difference. I'm more likely to go to something in RAP or SOFMA as opposed to Langford. Drinking and driving is one issue. Another is the perception of a high quality venue with multiple thousands of seats.

This is a huge issue in soccer in North America. MLS finally understood a few years ago that location was a key factor in successful teams. The best attendances are in stadiums located in or near the downtown core. People want to be able to enjoy themselves before and after the game which requires restaurants and bars and other entertainment venues in reasonably close proximity.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users