BUILT
The Summit at Quadra Village
Uses: rental, civic
Address: 955 Hillside Avenue
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 4
The Summit at Quadra Village is a four-storey, 320-bed long term care facility. The Summit will replace Oak Ba... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Summit at Quadra Village on Citified.ca
Photo

[Quadra-Hillside] Summit at Quadra Village seniors residence | 4-storeys | Under construction

• Please log in to reply
220 replies to this topic

#41 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 11:40 AM

My comment would be that the facility is good, but waht are they doing along the Hillside street edge. Are they planning active uses like stores to link together Quadra Village or will it be behind "nature bandages"?

#42 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 12:48 PM

From the community association:

Health of Hillside-Quadra at Stake in Planning for Large Scale Care Facility

Date: Wednesday, March 25, 2015 For

Immediate Release

Victoria, BC-Concerns about the planned development of the Summit at Quadra Village are so significant that a Healthy Neighbourhood Working Group has been started in Hillside-Quadra Neighbourhood.

Concerns about the large, 320 resident, 3.5 acre project that will replace Mt. Tolmie Care Facility and Oak Bay Lodge include:

- Loss of meaningful green space: Former school fields are being replaced with a large facility that is said to require significant on-site service road access. Children, youth, families, pet owners and people of all ages who live in a part of the neighbourhood that already has minimal green space are affected. Almost all residents in this quadrant of the neighbourhood close to the site live in apartments, condos and townhomes.

- Noise pollution, shading and loss of views

- Traffic and parking challenges: Plans for significant service access, visitation access and pay parking will combine to result in unmanageable traffic congestion and competition for parking for residents accessing current neighbourhood services. Total parking spaces planned for the Summit fall well short of the two facilities being replaced. This is a poor mix for the Kings Rd greenway.

- Lack of focus on neighbourhood health: Despite the CRD`s Regional Sustainability

Strategy which advocates the ``foster(ing) individual and community well being`` and ``welcoming , attractive, safe, accessible places to support a sense of belonging`` the approach to planning for the Summit at Quadra Village focuses solely on the care of facility in the proposed facility.

According to Kelly Greenwell, Executive Director of the Quadra Village Community Centre, ``The needs of the neighbourhood are being ignored despite this being a wonderful chance to create a project that benefits both the residents of the Summit and Hillside-Quadra. The time for neighbours to engage with this project is now``.

Two opportunities currently exist that could greatly influence what happens:

March 28th Open House taking place 1:30pm-3:30 pm at the CDI College Gym (950 Kings Rd). This event is hosted by the Capital Regional Hospital District and Island.

Health and is a chance for Hillside-Quadra residents to understand plans and give feedback including concerns and solutions.

Meetings of the Healthy Neighbourhood Working Group are happening on a regular basis and are focused on ways to ensure that the Summit at Quadra Village is planned in a way that creates ensures neighbourhood health including the development of adequate amenities to mitigate impacts and contribute to the well-being of neighbourhood residents. Meetings are open and more information can be accessed through Kelly Greenwell.

For more information, contact:
Kelly Greenwell, Executive Director
Quadra Village Community Centre
250.388.7696 ext.221
kelly@quadravillagecc.com
www.quadravillagecc.com.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#43 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 25 March 2015 - 01:08 PM

My favourite part of the article:

"Don’t get us wrong. We are not nimbys."

...but we don't want this facility in our neighbourhood! Classic.

• Nparker likes this

#44 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,171 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 25 March 2015 - 01:12 PM

I kind of understand where they are coming from. If this just ends up a big building, little added retail, not enough parking, and no public access... yech. There are better things that could be done with that field.

• tedward likes this

#45 aastra

aastra
  • 20,568 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 01:22 PM

They should be asking for an attractive building first and foremost. It bugs me when institutional buildings get a pass in this regard.

• jklymak, jonny and Mr Cook Street like this

#46 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 01:29 PM

IMO the city of Victoria allows far too much neighbourhood consultation when it comes to redevelopment projects like this. What the NIMBYs (and that is precisely what these folks are in the truest sense of the term) seem not to realize is this facility might well benefit some if not many of them in the not-too-distant future. The current use of the site is not good value for the neighbourhood or the city. As I have said before in regards to another NIMBY battle, (the St. Andrew's School redevelopment) I would welcome a project like this in my neighbourhood. Perhaps Island Health could look at purchasing the Canadian Linen property that straddles North Park-Balmoral as an alternate site for this facility. I'd be happy with that.

• AllseeingEye likes this

#47 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,510 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 01:36 PM

According to the letter in the T-C one of the signatories was "David Turner".

I wonder...ex-Mayor of Victoria David Turner? The David Turner under whose inglorious leadership virtually nothing of note or substance happened, at all, anywhere in the city? The so-called "Mayor Moonbeam" - that David Turner? The tone of this letter suggests at least a strong possibility.....

#48 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 01:37 PM

I seem to recall that the plans do include a decent amount of green space and trails that will be open to the public.  

• Nparker likes this

#49 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 02:04 PM

This neighbourhood, which I live in, is in such need of a place like this to bolster the commercial shops along Quadra. That field is never used and there is actually a ton of parks in the area including the second largest park in the City. What the City should be looking for is some money to fix up the area owned by the School District along Hillside at the SJ Willis site.
  • Nparker likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#50 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 02:35 PM

Green-space-in-Quadra-Hillside.gif

• LJ and Mr Cook Street like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#51 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 02:41 PM

Ya, the field is not used.  In fact all playing fields are used far less than there were 20 years ago.

Ya, they can cross Hillside and go to the SJ field.  Or as G-man says, Topaz Park.

That letter sure was over the top.

• Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#52 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 02:43 PM

There isn't a single human being using that green space in this streetview image. If it is so coveted, why is nobody there?

I checked streetview for 2009, 2011 (both runs), 2012, 2014 (both runs) and noboby is using the field. Not a single soul.

Meanwhile across the street on the high school property people are actually using that field.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#53 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 02:46 PM

It will be used far more often when the site is developed and landscaped. Throw in a few park benches, trees and planters and this will become a popular sunny day spot for the neighbourhood.

• Nparker likes this

#54 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 04:18 PM

Here is Mr. Kelly Greenwell's LinkedIn profile.

If VIHA is proposing what they've built at the Campus of Care property along Carey then I can understand the reservations of this community association. The Campus property is sterile, to put it mildly, so if VIHA thinks it can get a pass and create a suburban-like node in an inner city neighbourhood then I can see this proposal being fought tooth and nail. The concerns about loss of views I could care less about, but if the community association is indeed seeing plans that are institutional first, community-sensitive second, then let's hear them out. I'd hate to end up with another Campus of Care.

• jklymak likes this

Know it all.

#55 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 06:33 PM

So the question begs to be asked: has anyone seen renderings for this project?

#56 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 26 March 2015 - 08:26 AM

Ya, the field is not used.  In fact all playing fields are used far less than there were 20 years ago.

Because demographics.

The population of school-aged children took a dip for the last 10+ years reflected in declining enrollment in shools and youth sports. That trend has reversed and the population is moving upwards again.

We must plan for the future and while the whole space may not need to be reserved for sports fields, there is a need for recreational/playground space adjacent to the core of Quadra Village. A good seniors development would encourage young families to use an adjacent park to allow for interaction between residents and children.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#57 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 08:36 AM

Because demographics.

The population of school-aged children took a dip for the last 10+ years reflected in declining enrollment in shools and youth sports. That trend has reversed and the population is moving upwards again.

It's not just demographics.  Kids entertain themselves with electronics now.  Less motivation to go to sports fields or parks.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#58 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 08:37 AM

For sure. That empty field at Blanshard Elementary is actually kind of hilarious now that we're being told it's actually a treasured local green space.

• Nparker and jonny like this

Know it all.

#59 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 08:40 AM

Because demographics.

We must plan for the future and while the whole space may not need to be reserved for sports fields, there is a need for recreational/playground space adjacent to the core of Quadra Village. A good seniors development would encourage young families to use an adjacent park to allow for interaction between residents and children.

Demographics, yes, but also because whatever school was there is now a post secondary institution. This particular field is run down. Nobody takes care of it. Who knows what kinds of garbage has been left behind in that field. I wouldn't take my dog there, nevermind my kid.

The much larger fields just up the road at Landsdowne are heavily used, so I wouldn't say the reason behind this particular field's demise are purely demographics driven. 

Quadra/Hillside really needs an injection of something. It really is quite a run down 'hood. A well designed, multi-use facility could offer that. It could also be a disaster. To echo NP,

So the question begs to be asked: has anyone seen renderings for this project?

??

That certainly would be a good first step towards really commenting.

Edited by jonny, 26 March 2015 - 08:43 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#60 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 01:25 PM

I bet VIHA will try to recycle the same design they've used on the VJH expansion and the Campus of Care facility.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users