Photo

Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
25933 replies to this topic

#23041 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 04 June 2021 - 12:00 PM

^But until you solve the underlying problem of why people are compelled to ingest deadly chemicals nothing will change. You could erase all illegal drugs and addicts will just switch to huffing gasoline or what have you.

Hmmmm....These substances are designed to be addictive. The best way to deal with the issue is to make the drugs unavailable (we know that’s not possible) and stigmatize their use to deter people from taking that first step I down that path, but apparently that’s a big no-no nowadays.
People will always be facing hardships through life, there is absolutely nothing we can do about it. We have to educate people that seeking relief through drugs is a terrible option. IMO. I have seen way too many « good intentions » contribute the most towards exacerbating social issues and I think it’s time we change strategy again.
Rant over. 😁
  • JimV and Vin like this

#23042 kitty surprise

kitty surprise
  • 407 posts

Posted 04 June 2021 - 12:04 PM

“It’s also closer to downtown services for people who use drugs, he said.”

In my honest opinion this is the root cause of this whole homeless debate.

This guy is off his rocker.

He is advocating the support of convenience of an industry that has killed people young and old. The drug industry is the root cause of homelessness. It’s the root cause of crime.

Stop giving these assholes credibility.

^^^ This!!

#23043 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 04 June 2021 - 12:18 PM

^But until you solve the underlying problem of why people are compelled to ingest deadly chemicals nothing will change. You could erase all illegal drugs and addicts will just switch to huffing gasoline or what have you. 

I say this having lost good friends to drugs and not without passion - at some point you have to let people make their own decisions. If they are going to huff gasoline then that is their choice. Lets make sure we have resources to support them if they ever decide to quit but encouraging the behavior hoping for a change isn't helping.

• Nparker, Awaiting Juno, A Girl is No one and 2 others like this

#23044 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 04 June 2021 - 01:50 PM

“It’s also closer to downtown services for people who use drugs, he said.”

In my honest opinion this is the root cause of this whole homeless debate.

This guy is off his rocker.

He is advocating the support of convenience of an industry that has killed people young and old. The drug industry is the root cause of homelessness. It’s the root cause of crime.

Stop giving these assholes credibility.

Come on, we wouldn't want to make it inconvenient for people to use drugs.

#23045 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 04 June 2021 - 06:07 PM

I note that the message from some groups on twitter re the BHP motion seems to be "where will the campers go?" Didn't the province already provide more than enough places to to live?

Are these "advocates" just terrified of the problem getting fixed?
  • Nparker, Awaiting Juno, A Girl is No one and 2 others like this

#23046 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 04 June 2021 - 07:01 PM

These “advocates” haven’t the faintest idea what they are advocating for.

These hard core miscontents don’t want “housing”. They want the freedom to live as they please...bump whatever will go up their arm...and bang on the drum all day...with somebody else’s money.
  • LJ, Awaiting Juno, A Girl is No one and 2 others like this

#23047 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 04 June 2021 - 07:12 PM

If we stop providing all the "services" that drug users need maybe we could encourage them to move elsewhere.

If the only service provided is rehab we may make a dent in this problem.

• Love the rock, Awaiting Juno, A Girl is No one and 3 others like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#23048 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 05 June 2021 - 09:45 AM

These “advocates” haven’t the faintest idea what they are advocating for.

"I am afraid that there is a certain class of problem solvers who don't want the patient to get well, because as long as the disease holds out they have not only an easy means of making a living, but also an easy medium through which to make themselves prominent before the public." — Booker T. Washington

• Nparker, A Girl is No one, rmpeers and 1 other like this

#23049 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 05 June 2021 - 11:58 AM

I am also concerned, once BHP is back to normal, what will happen to all the people who spent their time posting scenic photos of the park on social media and telling everyone how safe it was? How will they fill their days?
  • Awaiting Juno likes this

#23050 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 05 June 2021 - 12:20 PM

I am also concerned, once BHP is back to normal, what will happen to all the people who spent their time posting scenic photos of the park on social media and telling everyone how safe it was? How will they fill their days?

I'm looking forward to the photo essays of the Rock Bay murals...

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#23051 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 05:19 PM

3 Bylaw Officers giving a Hobo the heave ho at Topaz Park today at about 11:30

Topaz.jpg

• Nparker and Vin like this

#23052 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 06 June 2021 - 07:49 PM

Going around downtown this weekend I noticed hardly any panhandlers, only a few people sitting with their gear on the sidewalk - it was quiet and serene as I’ve seen it in about a decade! Ok, there was a couple screamers too, perhaps mental illness or drugs.. and the occasional drugged out person stumbling around. Do I expect it to last.. no, I guess not. :( Unless all provinces and cities have the same consistency in service we will continue to draw newcomers, not to mention the weather draw factor.
  • A Girl is No one and Vin like this

#23053 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 11:16 PM

3 Bylaw Officers giving a Hobo the heave ho at Topaz Park today at about 11:30

just to be clear  hobo --> tramp --> bum

A hobo is a migrant worker or homeless vagrant, especially one who is impoverished. Unlike a "tramp", who works only when forced to, and a "bum", who does not work at all, a "hobo" is a traveling worker.

H. L. Mencken, in his The American Language (4th ed., 1937), wrote:

Tramps and hobos are commonly lumped together, but see themselves as sharply differentiated. A hobo or bo is simply a migrant laborer; he may take some longish holidays, but sooner or later he returns to work. Lower than either is the bum, who neither works nor travels, save when impelled to motion by the police

#23054 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 04:07 AM

I thought it was an abbreviation of homeless boy.

#23055 JimV

JimV
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 06:35 AM

Downtown is improving but there’s a long way to go.  I think the scarcity of panhandlers is mostly due to the great reduction in pedestrian traffic down there.  Driving down Pandora I saw dozens of street people hanging around on the boulevard and in front of Our Place.  It wasn’t that long ago that the music school in the old church was a nice destination.  Now it’s got a metal fence around it and looks besieged.  

Turning north from Dallas to Douglas I also noticed nine ratty looking RVs that definitely look occupied parked along Douglas.  There are others on Dallas and probably a few more in the BHP parking lot.  I’m not sure how these fit into the great scheme to “house the homeless.”  Maybe the next step will be to build a free RV park for them.

#23056 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 06:39 AM

I didn’t see any motor homes or vans in the park yesterday.

#23057 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 06:59 AM

Panhandling is now common at busy intersections.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#23058 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 07:18 AM

^ Which is against the Safe Streets Act...

...(5)A person commits an offence if the person, while on a roadway, solicits a person who is in or on a stopped, standing or parked vehicle.

https://www.bclaws.g...075_01#section3

• Teardrop likes this

#23059 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 09:06 AM

Yes, and police have a whack-a-mole approach to it but as soon as one guy gets told to leave, another guy pops up. The panhandling extends well into Saanich now and I've seen it on the West Shore.

• Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#23060 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,016 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 12:07 PM

Yes, and police have a whack-a-mole approach to it but as soon as one guy gets told to leave, another guy pops up. The panhandling extends well into Saanich now and I've seen it on the West Shore.

Half of those panhandlers are cops anyways. Put the phone down.

Matt.
  • Mike K., Sparky and Victoria Watcher like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)