• Please log in to reply
23169 replies to this topic

#23061 tommy

tommy
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 11:16 PM

3 Bylaw Officers giving a Hobo the heave ho at Topaz Park today at about 11:30

just to be clear  hobo --> tramp --> bum

A hobo is a migrant worker or homeless vagrant, especially one who is impoverished. Unlike a "tramp", who works only when forced to, and a "bum", who does not work at all, a "hobo" is a traveling worker.

H. L. Mencken, in his The American Language (4th ed., 1937), wrote:

Tramps and hobos are commonly lumped together, but see themselves as sharply differentiated. A hobo or bo is simply a migrant laborer; he may take some longish holidays, but sooner or later he returns to work. Lower than either is the bum, who neither works nor travels, save when impelled to motion by the police

#23062 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 11,532 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 04:07 AM

I thought it was an abbreviation of homeless boy.

#23063 JimV

JimV
  • 617 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 06:35 AM

Downtown is improving but there’s a long way to go.  I think the scarcity of panhandlers is mostly due to the great reduction in pedestrian traffic down there.  Driving down Pandora I saw dozens of street people hanging around on the boulevard and in front of Our Place.  It wasn’t that long ago that the music school in the old church was a nice destination.  Now it’s got a metal fence around it and looks besieged.  

Turning north from Dallas to Douglas I also noticed nine ratty looking RVs that definitely look occupied parked along Douglas.  There are others on Dallas and probably a few more in the BHP parking lot.  I’m not sure how these fit into the great scheme to “house the homeless.”  Maybe the next step will be to build a free RV park for them.

#23064 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 11,532 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 06:39 AM

I didn’t see any motor homes or vans in the park yesterday.

#23065 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 63,886 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 06:59 AM

Panhandling is now common at busy intersections.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#23066 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 11,532 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 07:18 AM

^ Which is against the Safe Streets Act...

...(5)A person commits an offence if the person, while on a roadway, solicits a person who is in or on a stopped, standing or parked vehicle.

https://www.bclaws.g...075_01#section3

• Teardrop likes this

#23067 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 63,886 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 09:06 AM

Yes, and police have a whack-a-mole approach to it but as soon as one guy gets told to leave, another guy pops up. The panhandling extends well into Saanich now and I've seen it on the West Shore.

• Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#23068 Matt R.

Matt R.
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 12:07 PM

Yes, and police have a whack-a-mole approach to it but as soon as one guy gets told to leave, another guy pops up. The panhandling extends well into Saanich now and I've seen it on the West Shore.

Half of those panhandlers are cops anyways. Put the phone down.

Matt.
  • Mike K., Sparky and Victoria Watcher like this

#23069 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 23,656 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 03:01 PM

An upcoming basketball tournament is forcing B.C. Housing to relocate 43 temporary shelter residents from the Save-on-Foods Memorial Centre to a vacant Saanich hospital.

The centre was secured as a shelter site on a four-month lease in late January and, at the time, B.C. Housing said a lease extension was a possibility pending discussions with the centre’s owner, GSL group. But, on Monday, it was announced the centre is needed for hosting the International Basketball Federation Olympic Qualifying Tournament, June 29 to July 4.

The Mount Tolmie Hospital shelter, located at 3690 Richmond Rd., will be a big step up in terms of privacy and stability, said David Eby, Attorney General and minister responsible for housing. The site has been secured for 12 months and, instead of sleeping in open-air pods, residents will get their own rooms.

https://www.vicnews....ball-qualifier/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 June 2021 - 03:01 PM.

#23070 spanky123

spanky123
  • 16,627 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 03:22 PM

^ I am guessing BC Housing consulted with the neighbours!

#23071 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 23,656 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 03:24 PM

seems a long way from services. hopefully there is an on-demand downtown shuttle bus.
  • Nparker likes this

#23072 JimV

JimV
  • 617 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 03:49 PM

seems a long way from services. hopefully there is an on-demand downtown shuttle bus.

Might not be necessary.  The foraging should be pretty good around Shelbourne Plaza and I expect there are a lot of unsecured dumpsters in which to light sacred fires.

#23073 spanky123

spanky123
  • 16,627 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 04:06 PM

^ I am guess the extra 40 spaces on Russell St that these folks were supposed to move into still has hvac 'issues'. 

#23074 LJ

LJ
  • 10,588 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 07:33 PM

On Jeopardy this evening under the category of "Good News" came this question.

"What Canadian province purchased a hotel to house the homeless?"

The contestant got the right answer.

I guess it could be considered good news if it is not your tax dollars being spent.  

• Nparker and Love the rock like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#23075 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 63,886 posts

Posted 08 June 2021 - 06:21 AM

There’s a screen grab on our Facebook page. Crazy.

Know it all.

#23076 spanky123

spanky123
  • 16,627 posts

Posted 08 June 2021 - 06:31 AM

On Jeopardy this evening under the category of "Good News" came this question.

"What Canadian province purchased a hotel to house the homeless?"

The contestant got the right answer.

I guess it could be considered good news if it is not your tax dollars being spent.  

Of course there was only one right answer.

#23077 Rob Randall

Rob Randall

BIG TEXAS FORUMER

• 16,051 posts

Posted 08 June 2021 - 10:28 AM

The category was “Some Good News” and the exact phrasing was:

“In 2020, this Canadian province purchased a hotel in the capital of Victoria to house its homeless population”

And it was answered correctly, unlike the last time Victoria made Jeopardy.

https://www.citynews...n-homelessness/

Edited by Rob Randall, 08 June 2021 - 10:29 AM.

“I mean I just don’t understand the big Texas part, like maybe he’s from Texas? I want to know the back story.”

#23078 Nparker

Nparker
  • 29,187 posts

Posted 08 June 2021 - 10:29 AM

"a" hotel?

• sebberry likes this

#23079 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 63,886 posts

Posted 08 June 2021 - 10:31 AM

Lol, right. "A" hotel. Who writes Jeopardy's questions?

Know it all.

#23080 Greg

Greg
  • 3,235 posts

Posted 08 June 2021 - 11:35 AM

As typical for Jeopardy, the "real" question is "Victoria is the capital of which Canadian Province?"

• Victoria Watcher likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users