Photo

Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
25854 replies to this topic

#23601 JimV

JimV
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 23 January 2022 - 08:11 PM

WTF? Since when is the sidewalk on Government Street considered a park?

Well, technically it’s just a toilet.  I filed a complaint and bylaw advises me that it’s now in compliance.

BTW, I took the photo at about 1:00 pm on Saturday and the tent was there since at least 10:30 am.  I don’t know why the local business owners didn’t complain immediately.

• Nparker, Matt R., A Girl is No one and 1 other like this

#23602 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 23 January 2022 - 09:01 PM

I would be OK with this supportive housing if it came with locks on the outside of the individual doors.

I think that they think that we think this is what they are talking about. But it’s not.
  • Barrrister likes this

#23603 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 07:40 AM

Winnipeg is bringing back oil drum burn barrels to help people stay warm: https://www.cbc.ca/n...ction-1.6327830

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#23604 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 07:58 AM

Winnipeg is bringing back oil drum burn barrels to help people stay warm: https://www.cbc.ca/n...ction-1.6327830

Now how is Sooke going to build their garbage incinerator?  Talk about supply chain shortages.

#23605 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,870 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 08:24 PM

Not supplying wood seems really dangerous.

#23606 Dexter

Dexter
  • 606 posts

Posted 26 January 2022 - 09:40 PM

I’m sure Winnipeg government is prepared with their own wood splitter that is free for all to use just like our provincial government.
  • Mike K., Matt R., Barrrister and 1 other like this

#23607 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 28 January 2022 - 05:08 AM

In Nanaimo, many downtown business owners and shopkeepers say they are frustrated by the growing social disorder that’s impacting their workplaces.

One restaurant owner says a robbery this past week has left her fearing for her life.

“I’m very scared and worried,” said Agnes Kim, one of Nana Sushi’s owners.

Around 5 p.m. Monday, a 34-year-old man walked into the restaurant and went into a back room. One of the chefs heard a commotion and found the man rummaging through the staff’s belongings.

“So he asked who are you? He pushed our main chef and our chef tried to catch him but he was hitting his arm,” said Kim.

The robber managed to run out of the restaurant with two knives and cash with two in hot pursuit.

https://www.cheknews...isorder-945032/

McIver says the social disorder has reached a boiling point citing that it’s the worst it has been in the office’s 40 years of being there.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 January 2022 - 05:10 AM.

#23608 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,407 posts

Posted 28 January 2022 - 06:40 AM

As long as we allow a "catch & release" legal system, social disorder will only get worse.

• A Girl is No one and On the Level like this

#23609 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 29 January 2022 - 01:38 AM

A couple that lived for years on a floating structure anchored off North Saanich’s Lillan Hoffar Park is receiving additional support somewhere in Greater Victoria following their relocation before Christmas.

That is according to Kerry Readshaw, director of communications for Beacon Community Services.

According to Brian Green, North Saanich’s director of planning, Beacon Community Services and the RCMP found the two persons living onboard the structure to “be in very ill health” during a visit before Christmas.

“They were taken off the vessels for their own safety,” said Green in an emailed statement. “Beacon (Community) Services found temporary accommodation for the two at the Sidney Travelodge and Beacon Services, then transferred them to the care of the Ministry of Social Development and Poverty Reduction, who we now believe have found them permanent accommodation.”

https://www.saanichn...eater-victoria/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 29 January 2022 - 01:38 AM.

#23610 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 29 January 2022 - 06:40 AM

Probably in Victoria…

#23611 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,407 posts

Posted 29 January 2022 - 08:08 AM

...Ministry of Social Development and Poverty Reduction...

BC's government seems to believe making everyone poorer through increased taxation somehow reduces poverty.

• A Girl is No one and Barrrister like this

#23612 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 03 February 2022 - 08:05 PM

I think this type of homeless shelter is a great idea and helps those who truly wish to get ahead.

It won't do anything to help the crackheads of course.

https://chapmanpartnership.org/

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#23613 JimV

JimV
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 07 February 2022 - 07:25 PM

Speaking of which, my wife and I were walking along South Turner this afternoon when a rough looking guy coming the other direction began pointing at us and shouting very aggressive obscenities.  Maybe he mistook me for one of his associates.  For a minute I thought this was going to get physical but he passed us by and I heard him addressing someone else near Dallas.  Crack, mental case, who knows, but he is certainly unhouseable (at least in a room without bars.)  I’ve encountered guys like this downtown before but not in James Bay, except when BHP was happening.  We really need secure confinement facilities.  

• Nparker and Midnightly like this

#23614 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 10 February 2022 - 02:51 PM

Two bodies discovered in vehicle at Mt. Tolmie shelter parking lot

A police investigation is underway after two people were found dead in the parking lot of the shelter housed in the former Mt. Tolmie Hospital in the Cedar Hill area of Saanich early Thursday.

While no cause of death has been determined, police say the deaths are not considered suspicious.

The 35-unit Mount Tolmie Shelter is run by the PHS Community Services Society and funded by B.C. Housing.

The residents, who are transitioning to permanent housing, live in private and shared rooms. Clinical services and an overdose prevention site operated by SOLID Outreach Society are on site. Residents are also served by outreach staff from B.C. Housing and the Ministry of Social Development and Poverty Reduction.

If only there were wraparound supports nearby.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 10 February 2022 - 02:53 PM.

#23615 JimV

JimV
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 10 February 2022 - 04:43 PM

I would think two dead bodies in a parking lot would be considered at least mildly suspicious, unless that’s how they categorize ODs these days.

Meanwhile, I just noticed another screaming crazy today walking up Menzies towards Michigan.  Maybe he was late for his job interview.  There seem to be a lot of these around lately.

• phx, Barrrister and Victoria Watcher like this

#23616 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 10 February 2022 - 08:16 PM

Interestingly, most of the complaints emanating from the Ottawa protest/rally comes from residential area just outside of downtown.
With the presence of truckers and supporters in the downtown core, crime has gone down and the typical criminal/drug addict etc that normally inhabit the downtown core have migrated to the residential areas.
I wish we could have that here. Those same people who support tent cities and criminals terrorizing downtown cores suddenly get upset when it comes to their neighborhood.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#23617 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 11 February 2022 - 04:40 AM

Coalition welcomes new executive director

Sylvia Ceacero is new executive director of the Greater Victoria Coalition to End Homelessness.

Ceacero brings more than 20 years diverse experience to her new role — from leading one of the largest cemeteries in Canada to being CEO of community services agencies in Greater Vancouver.

“I’m so pleased to join a community of collaborative, dedicated changemakers,” she said.

“I can’t wait to learn from this sector and apply my passion for systems change and social impact to such a vital cause.”

The coalition is a partnership of local service providers, non-profit organizations, all levels of government and the business, post-secondary and faith communities.

https://www.timescol...resters-5052470

I bet in her cemetery job she found a home for every one of her clients.  

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 11 February 2022 - 04:40 AM.

#23618 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,407 posts

Posted 11 February 2022 - 08:41 AM

...“I’m so pleased to join a community of collaborative, dedicated changemakers,” she said...

What "change" has the coalition implemented that has made anything better? Weren't they supposed to have eradicated homelessness in the region by now? If they were really making change, why do they still exist? A more accurate name for this organization would be the Coalition to Perpetuate Homelessness*.

*so that we can keep our poverty-related jobs

• LJ, Barrrister and JimV like this

#23619 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 11 February 2022 - 10:34 AM

They succeeded in growing the misery in Victoria.
  • Nparker and Barrrister like this

#23620 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,407 posts

Posted 11 February 2022 - 11:09 AM

I suppose not all change is for the better.

• A Girl is No one and Barrrister like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users

Mike P.