• Please log in to reply
25855 replies to this topic

#23721 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 April 2022 - 09:39 AM

30+ years of paying union dues and I felt neither protected, nor powerful.

Good pay, benefits and flex days don't just happen by themselves :D

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#23722 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 28 April 2022 - 09:48 AM

Good pay, benefits and flex days don't just happen by themselves 

Moderate pay and average benefits*, which were mostly established at the beginning of my tenure. The union was generally impotent for most of my public service career. Let's not take this thread any further off-topic.

* pension notwithstanding; which I admit is good and the main reason I stuck around for 30 years

#23723 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 April 2022 - 10:06 AM

* pension notwithstanding; which I admit is good and the main reason I stuck around for 30 years

And I'll be working until I'm dead.

• Matt R. likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#23724 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 28 April 2022 - 10:32 AM

260 workers just at Our Place sites. Plus we have PHS and Cool Aid.

#23725 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 28 April 2022 - 11:22 AM

Moderate pay and average benefits*, which were mostly established at the beginning of my tenure. The union was generally impotent for most of my public service career. Let's not take this thread any further off-topic.

i am feeling pretty dumb supporting myself all these years...what a dope ;-)

• Matt R. likes this

#23726 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 06 May 2022 - 08:27 AM

Here are a couple of photos of permanent campers in Stadacona Park taken around noon last Sunday.

The nearby residents are frustrated with the lack of response from bylaw officers. The campers are in violation of the bylaw that requires that campers remove their possessions by 7:00 AM.

S2.jpg

S1.jpg

#23727 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 06 May 2022 - 08:34 AM

Shocking. Surprised Red Cedar hasn’t been awarded a contract to set up a base to service them.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 May 2022 - 08:36 AM.

#23728 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 06 May 2022 - 09:44 AM

The nearby residents are frustrated with the lack of response from bylaw officers. The campers are in violation of the bylaw that requires that campers remove their possessions by 7:00 AM.

Bylaw is doing (or not) what they are told. Summer is coming and the CoV wants more money. 

• Nparker likes this

#23729 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 12 May 2022 - 09:21 PM

I had occasion to walk near the 900 block of Pandora this evening. Lots of tents. I guess the CoV has abandoned enforcement of sidewalk camping bylaws.

#23730 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 13 May 2022 - 09:17 AM

From Aryze:

Aryze Celebrates Tiny Homes Village with Bill’s Bag Lunches

For Immediate Release

VICTORIA, BC – (May 13th, 2022) – This weekend marks one year since residents first moved into Tiny Homes Village—an innovative transitional housing solution in the North Park neighbourhood built from repurposed shipping containers. Together with the Greater Victoria Coalition to End Homeless, Our Place and over 580 donors, Aryze crowdfunded and constructed these homes in less than six months time to support some of our community’s most vulnerable. To celebrate the occasion, Aryze is supporting another great initiative in the form of Bill’s Bag Lunches—a weekly meal program that includes deliveries to the residents of Tiny Home Village.

“I started this bag lunch program with the goal of continuous growth in the number of lunches being delivered,” says Bill Farrant, the founder of Bill’s Bag Lunches. “When I learned about the launch of Tiny Homes Village, I saw the opportunity for a natural progression to expand the program to a new neighbourhood in need, in addition to the Ellice Street Community in Rock Bay.”

Tiny Homes Village features 30 homes built from repurposed shipping containers that provide safe, warm and secure conditions for its residents. Each of the tiny homes has been constructed to the highest standard of comfort with each unit including its own private entrance, heating, ventilation, bed, bedside table, wardrobe and fridge. Two meals a day are delivered—one at breakfast and one at dinner—and residents have access to a common area to reheat the food. Bill’s Bag Lunches hand-delivers a sandwich, apple, cookie and water each Friday, all funded by local businesses and community members, which is then matched by The City of Victoria’s My Great Neighbourhood Grant.

Bill’s Bag Lunches is seeking donations to further expand the weekly lunch program while supporting existing operations for the Ellice Street Community in Rock Bay and the Tiny Home Village in North Park. To donate, email hello@billsbaglunches.com

“Not only is Tiny Homes Village an innovative temporary housing solution—it highlights what’s possible when we all work together,” says Melanie Ransome, Director of Communications & Engagement at Aryze. “This initiative demonstrates successful collaboration between home builders, local community members and specialized service providers who are eager to support citizens on their pathway to secure long-term housing and stability; Bill’s Bag Lunches symbolizes a continuation of this collaborative community spirit.”

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#23731 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 13 May 2022 - 09:22 AM

How much does the CoV pay Aryze for its virtue signaling?

#23732 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 13 May 2022 - 09:25 AM

...Tiny Homes Village an innovative temporary housing solution...

It's been a year. How much longer is "temporary"?  :confused:

With shelter and meals provided, what incentive is there for residents to ever leave this situation?

#23733 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 13 May 2022 - 09:25 AM

Almost none. If they moved to market housing they’d lose their daily food preparation and delivery.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 May 2022 - 09:26 AM.

#23734 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 13 May 2022 - 11:06 AM

It's been a year. How much longer is "temporary"?  :confused:

With shelter and meals provided, what incentive is there for residents to ever leave this situation?

There was a limit, was it two years?  18 months?  I forget now.

#23735 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 13 May 2022 - 11:28 AM

How temporary homes help

The Tiny Homes Village is a temporary home for residents while they prepare to secure long-term housing. The village is planned to come to a close in fall 2022.

https://victoriahome...es/#toggle-id-2

So far, 1 person has moved.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 May 2022 - 11:28 AM.

#23736 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 13 May 2022 - 11:31 AM

It is always temporary until it isn't.

225 Russell St was supposed to be a temporary shelter until it was redeveloped into affordable housing. Still looks the same to me every day that I drive past.

• Nparker likes this

#23737 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,239 posts

Posted 13 May 2022 - 12:25 PM

As they say… possession is 9/10 of the law. Good luck getting possession back. I’m actually all for tiny homes and alternative dwellings. The city should just make it available to all. Isn’t the minimum single family size almost 800ft? This means we can’t build one for grandma in the backyard. Legally anyway. Or have they changed that?

#23738 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 13 May 2022 - 12:29 PM

There is a minimum size in which to raise or overnight children. Not sure that applies to others living.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 May 2022 - 12:29 PM.

#23739 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 13 May 2022 - 12:53 PM

...The Tiny Homes Village is a temporary home for residents while they prepare to secure long-term housing. The village is planned to come to a close in fall 2022...

That's 222 more days max. Something tells me that deadline will not be met.

#23740 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,239 posts

Posted 13 May 2022 - 01:30 PM

That's 222 more days max. Something tells me that deadline will not be met.

I would not bet against you.... 

• Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)