Photo

Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
25965 replies to this topic

#24681 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,752 posts

Posted 03 April 2023 - 08:57 AM

That is the fault of the electorate who gave the NDP carte blanche in Horgan's devious 2020 provincial election.

• Barrrister likes this

#24682 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,041 posts

Posted 03 April 2023 - 02:08 PM

Leaked City of Vancouver document proposes 'escalation' to clear DTES encampment

A statement from the City acknowledged that the document was prepared for staff-level discussions but wouldn’t comment further

https://vancouversun...obox=1680527184

The plan also includes the use of “roving” teams of city engineering and VPD officers to keep camps from popping back up both inside the Hastings encampment and around the city as needed, once the first two stages are complete.

“This document signals the end of Vancouver’s so-called compassionate approach to encampments,” Jess Gut, an organizer with Stop the Sweeps, wrote in a statement. “The city and the province have failed to create enough dignified housing. They’re now choosing to use blunt force to make people disappear from the street.”

A more efficient way would be to simply cut off welfare payments to those that refuse shelter.  That's a $560 to $860 per month penalty (the welfare rate less the shelter portion - a single employable person on welfare gets $935/mo. including the shelter portion today).

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 April 2023 - 02:13 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#24683 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,752 posts

Posted 03 April 2023 - 02:21 PM

..This document signals the end of Vancouver’s so-called compassionate approach to encampments...

LONG overdue.

• Barrrister likes this

#24684 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,041 posts

Posted 05 April 2023 - 05:09 PM

Police moved into Vancouver's Downtown Eastside on Wednesday morning as the city began carrying out its plan to remove a street encampment from the neighbourhood.

East Hastings Street, where people have been living in tents and make-shift structures, has been shut down at Main Street while the process begins.

It was a culmination of eight months of tensions over the encampment, the fourth major one in Vancouver in as many years, as bylaw officers and police worked in tandem over the cries of opposition from those in the tents and those advocating for them.

Vancouver's Downtown Eastside is a historic residential and commercial neighbourhood of more than 20,000 people, many of whom live on the streets or rely on shelters. Much of the community is living with addiction and other mental illnesses, and over the years the area has become a hub for those seeking support. 

https://www.cbc.ca/n...moval-1.6802439

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 05 April 2023 - 05:09 PM.

#24685 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,752 posts

Posted 05 April 2023 - 05:40 PM

I wasn't able to get a picture of it today, but has anyone been past the NE Pandora/Quadra corner lately and seen the "Little DTES" that has formed outside the offices of the Ministry of Social Development and Poverty Accretion? It's disgusting, but clearly the CoV and the Province have decided just to let this area decay and fester. 

• Barrrister likes this

#24686 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,041 posts

Posted 05 April 2023 - 09:55 PM

Vancouver city staff and police moved aggressively Wednesday to clear out the last tents occupying the sidewalk along East Hastings Street after nine months of softer efforts to persuade people to leave.

Mayor Ken Sim and city manager Paul Mochrie acknowledged there are not enough shelter spaces or permanent rooms in the city for people who are homeless to move to, but said that the camp needed to be cleared for safety reasons.

“We’re not solving homelessness today. We’re dealing with a serious public-safety issue,” said Mr. Mochrie, conceding that there were likely not 100 shelter spaces available for the remaining people who are homeless on Hastings.

“Some people will continue to have to shelter outside.”

Premier David Eby, whose government released its updated housing plan earlier this week, called it a “very sad situation.”

“Ultimately, we’re moving toward a place where people will be able to get into high-quality permanent housing.”

But the Premier insisted there is enough room in the shelters.

“We have people in the provincial government whose job it is to ensure that there is space available for everyone who wants to come inside from the encampment and that work is ongoing. And they advise me they have enough space. The larger issue, homelessness, is not going to be resolved in this immediate term.”

Mr. Mochrie, along with Vancouver Police Chief Adam Palmer and Vancouver fire Chief Karen Fry, emphasized repeatedly that having an “entrenched” camp was resulting in increasing violence, more fires, and more dangerous situations and couldn’t be tolerated any longer.

https://www.theglobe...eet-encampment/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 05 April 2023 - 09:56 PM.

#24687 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,752 posts

Posted 05 April 2023 - 10:29 PM

...But the Premier insisted there is enough room in the shelters...

What Eby didn't say is that those shelter spaces aren't necessarily in Vancouver, nor will they even need to be inside buildings. I fully expect to see the ousted Hastings 'unhoused' taking up residence in "Little DTES" (aka the 900 block of Pandora and nearby environs) over the next while, where I am sure they will remain undisturbed for as long as they want.

#24688 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 05 April 2023 - 11:49 PM

Mayor Ken Sim just tweeted out that 8 people have taken the offer of Government supplied shelter.

I seem to struggle providing links to tweets so sorry for that… but his Twitter replies seem split between supporters and deniers.

#24689 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,041 posts

Posted 06 April 2023 - 02:24 AM

Mayor Ken Sim just tweeted out that 8 people have taken the offer of Government supplied shelter.

I seem to struggle providing links to tweets so sorry for that… but his Twitter replies seem split between supporters and deniers.

tweet:  https://twitter.com/...794981000454146

screenshot-twitter.com-2023.04.06-06_26_22.png

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 April 2023 - 02:26 AM.

• Sparky likes this

#24690 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationJames Bay, Victoria

Posted 06 April 2023 - 09:10 AM

Ken Sim makes this move as tourist season begins in d.t. Victoria... possible sh!t-storm brewing. I doubt it's a deliberate timing but we already know the people who reject housing come here. (Downtown at Monks yesterday I was struck by the number of people I would identify as dangerous walking by on Broad St.)

I think it's a real problem for Eby, this political dichotomy between Van and Vic. If Sim is successful in his first term, how many Victorians will look wistfully at his leadership? It's no longer a secret we elected the NDP to council (despite the lying), and council is hardly pretending any more. If Victorians also decide not to be manipulated any more, the NDP might struggle to rebuild after the next loss.

The next NDP loss seems sooner today given the latest announcements of non-performance, non-results, and the infighting. Thanks goodness. I'll never vote for those selfish, populist, marxists again.

They've moved the bar so low I'd maybe even vote for a moron like Trump, lol. (sorry, Mike, I can retract the pejorative about Trump if you insist.)

Edited by Stephen James, 06 April 2023 - 09:11 AM.

• Mike K. and Barrrister like this

#24691 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,752 posts

Posted 06 April 2023 - 09:39 AM

I am fairly sure Eby believes he can win most of the CRD ridings regardless of how many of Vancouver's problems he sends this way. Let's face it, the NDP could run corpses in the 2 main Victoria ridings and they would more than likely get elected. I imagine he is more concerned about holding onto some of the lower mainland ridings, so "cleaning things up" there is the politically expedient thing to do.

#24692 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,041 posts

Posted 06 April 2023 - 03:44 PM

Police and city workers were back on Vancouver's East Hastings Street on Thursday morning, continuing to clear remaining tents, temporary structures and a handful of residents who had returned to the area the night before.

It follows a co-ordinated effort that began Wednesday morning to remove an encampment from the Downtown Eastside neighbourhood, after officials cited public safety concerns and an increase in the number of fires in the area.

Officers with the Vancouver Police Department (VPD) blocked off East Hastings between Main Street and Gore Avenue as crews set up a staging area around 9 a.m. PT Thursday.

"The VPD will be present to ensure safety and enforce the Streets and Traffic Bylaw as necessary," a statement from the City of Vancouver said.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...ouver-1.6803805

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 April 2023 - 03:44 PM.

#24693 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,041 posts

Posted 07 April 2023 - 06:54 AM

Woman whose body was found in Winnipeg landfill climbed into bin before it was taken to dump: police

Beardy was a member of Lake St. Martin First Nation and a mother of four. The chief of Lake St. Martin, Christopher Traverse, spoke at a separate news conference after Smyth's, but declined to comment on the police update as the investigation is ongoing.

Through video surveillance, she was then seen leaving the store alone and climbing into a nearby garbage bin shortly after 11 a.m. Monday, he said.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...dfill-1.6804168

What an odd article, no indication why a grown woman and mother might just decide to jump into a dumpster one morning.  For once, I'd like the article to say she was "experiencing homelessness" or mental health issues etc.

Or acting out a part:

deliveryService.jpg

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 April 2023 - 06:56 AM.

#24694 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 07 April 2023 - 07:27 AM

What an odd article, no indication why a grown woman and mother might just decide to jump into a dumpster one morning.  For once, I'd like the article to say she was "experiencing homelessness" or mental health issues etc.

The article served its purpose. Local FN in Winnipeg have been suggesting that a serial killer was killing FN women and getting rid of the bodies in dumps. As a result, the FN wanted money to search the dumps.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...found-1.6801738

It was important for this story to dispute that narrative.

• Barrrister likes this

#24695 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,041 posts

Posted 07 April 2023 - 07:32 AM

The article served its purpose. Local FN in Winnipeg have been suggesting that a serial killer was killing FN women and getting rid of the bodies in dumps. As a result, the FN wanted money to search the dumps.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...found-1.6801738

It was important for this story to dispute that narrative.

Yes, I suppose, they already squeaked out half a million.

The federal government says it will provide $500,000 to determine whether it's possible to recover human remains from a landfill near Winnipeg, after months of calls to search there for the bodies of two victims of an alleged serial killer.

The money from Crown–Indigenous Relations and Northern Affairs Canada will go to the Assembly of Manitoba Chiefs, which has been overseeing efforts around a feasibility study on a search at the Prairie Green landfill. 

The funding will support the organization in working with families, experts and community organizations, along with other entities including various levels of Indigenous and non-Indigenous governments, the Winnipeg Police Service and RCMP, Crown-Indigenous Relations Minister Marc Miller's office said in a Wednesday news release.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...nding-1.6741380

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 April 2023 - 07:32 AM.

#24696 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 07 April 2023 - 08:49 AM

Yep the money goes to the Chiefs who then get to determine who is paid and how much.

• Barrrister likes this

#24697 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,752 posts

Posted 07 April 2023 - 09:48 AM

Just like the rest of the Canadian political system

• Barrrister likes this

#24698 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,041 posts

Posted 07 April 2023 - 10:08 AM

The $500,000 was purportedly for a feasibility study on searching the dump. That would seem excessive plus that list above doesn’t seem to include any experts to perform such a task.

#24699 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 07 April 2023 - 10:18 AM

Cash for votes. Corruption has become blantant.

• Nparker, phx and Daveyboy like this

#24700 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,041 posts

Posted 07 April 2023 - 06:53 PM

In honour of a woman that climbed into a trash can?

Hundreds chant 'we are not trash,' close Portage and Main in honour of woman found dead in Winnipeg landfill

https://www.cbc.ca/n...rally-1.6805293

Clownworld trash can edition.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 April 2023 - 06:56 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users