Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
25851 replies to this topic

#24641 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 21 March 2023 - 05:18 AM

I didn’t see any activists blocking the fire department, though? Do they only block them when they’re doing safety inspections?
  • Daveyboy, Kungsberg and Barrrister like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#24642 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 21 March 2023 - 05:53 AM

Wow 4 minutes from the first explosion and the boys from the hall had that fire knocked down. 

That's impressive.

• Barrrister and Teardrop like this

#24643 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 22 March 2023 - 03:17 AM

27 years later, a call for action. How about nobody lives in tents on public property, period? Like the law says.

Vancouver fire chief calls for action after propane tank explosion and fire in Downtown Eastside

Chief Karen Fry says tents shouldn't be permitted near buildings

https://www.cbc.ca/n...tanks-1.6786039

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 March 2023 - 03:17 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#24644 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 22 March 2023 - 05:49 AM

Whatever, Vancouver. We’ve had exploding gas tanks in tents for years. You’re a little late to the party.
  • Daveyboy, Barrrister and Victoria Watcher like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#24645 E2V

E2V
  • 163 posts

Posted 22 March 2023 - 07:58 AM

Alberta main solution to drug addiction seems to be to ship them to B.C.

Alberta doesn’t ship them, they don’t have to. They just make them less welcome by asking for something in return. The addicts are mobile and know where to go.
  • Mike K. likes this

#24646 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 22 March 2023 - 08:10 AM

Alberta doesn’t ship them, they don’t have to. They just make them less welcome by asking for something in return. The addicts are mobile and know where to go.

Indeed. Plus potentially free drugs here, certainly open use, and better weather.

3AD7EA45-9EA0-4618-BF8C-19675D0072A9.jpeg

^ better welfare rate. And Alberta will pay for your bus ticket.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 March 2023 - 08:11 AM.

#24647 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 941 posts

Posted 22 March 2023 - 09:22 AM

Alberta gives free bus tickets to clients who know the correct phrases to use to get to BC . Alberta has always been tougher on collecting welfare. Not sure if it’s the same today they used to not give any cash only vouchers your rent was directly given to your landlord, food vouchers for food only no smokes  . 

• Nparker likes this

#24648 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 22 March 2023 - 09:31 AM

Alberta gives free bus tickets to clients who know the correct phrases to use to get to BC . Alberta has always been tougher on collecting welfare. Not sure if it’s the same today they used to not give any cash only vouchers your rent was directly given to your landlord, food vouchers for food only no smokes  . 

BC doubled the cash (apart from rent) component of welfare over the past 3 years.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 March 2023 - 09:31 AM.

#24649 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 22 March 2023 - 09:36 AM

Alberta gives free bus tickets to clients who know the correct phrases to use to get to BC . 

https://gatewayassoc...nal-Benefit.pdf

screenshot-gatewayassociation.ca-2023.03.22-13_35_42.png

http://www.humanserv...ne/IS/4858.html

screenshot-www.humanservices.alberta.ca-2023.03.22-13_37_48.png

screenshot-www.humanservices.alberta.ca-2023.03.22-13_38_36.png

Attached Images

• screenshot-gatewayassociation.ca-2023.03.22-13_35_42.png

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 March 2023 - 09:41 AM.

#24650 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,235 posts

Posted 22 March 2023 - 10:12 AM

Hidden in plain sight…
  • Love the rock and Victoria Watcher like this

#24651 E2V

E2V
  • 163 posts

Posted 22 March 2023 - 02:54 PM

Would BC provide financial support for transportation back to Winnipeg for someone originally from there looking for family support?
  • Nparker likes this

#24652 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 22 March 2023 - 02:57 PM

Would BC provide financial support for transportation back to Winnipeg for someone originally from there looking for family support?

Yes, probably. I presume over the years the available cash “supports” have expanded significantly.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 March 2023 - 03:00 PM.

#24653 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 22 March 2023 - 02:58 PM

If they promise to never return to BC's welfare system, I'd pay for that bus ticket to Winnipeg myself.

#24654 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 26 March 2023 - 10:12 PM

One man has been killed in a fire at a former medical clinic building in downtown Nanaimo.

The blaze broke out early Sunday morning in the former Caledonian Clinic at the corner of Wallace Street and Campbell Street.

A spokesperson with RCMP “E” Division confirmed to CHEK News Sunday evening that a man died as a result of the fire but that several others managed to escape.

______

The building has been known to be used by squatters since it became vacant about six years ago.

https://www.cheknews...pected-1146099/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 26 March 2023 - 10:13 PM.

#24655 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 02:10 AM

Crime and homelessness have been a growing issue in Portland over the last couple of years, and the Daily Mail reported that over 2,600 downtown businesses have filed a change of address with the U.S. Postal Service.

Last November, a Nike store in northeast Portland abruptly closed after a string of brazen shoplifting incidents.

"It's gotta stop," real estate developer and lifelong Portland native Dustin Michael Miller told "Fox & Friends" earlier this month after walking into his office to find bullet holes in the window.

"Our city is out of control. It is unrecognizable. I've lived here my whole life, and it's just deteriorated over the last five years."

https://www.foxbusin...me-retail-theft

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 March 2023 - 02:11 AM.

• Barrrister likes this

#24656 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 04:05 AM

British Columbia says it will be providing 330 new homes for people living in Vancouver’s Downtown Eastside by the end of June.

Housing Minister Ravi Kahlon says there are currently about 117 people living on East Hastings Street, and 70 of them have expressed a desire for housing.

https://www.cheknews...stside-1146039/

#24657 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 04:30 AM

Crime and homelessness have been a growing issue in Portland over the last couple of years, and the Daily Mail reported that over 2,600 downtown businesses have filed a change of address with the U.S. Postal Service.

Last November, a Nike store in northeast Portland abruptly closed after a string of brazen shoplifting incidents.

"It's gotta stop," real estate developer and lifelong Portland native Dustin Michael Miller told "Fox & Friends" earlier this month after walking into his office to find bullet holes in the window.

"Our city is out of control. It is unrecognizable. I've lived here my whole life, and it's just deteriorated over the last five years."

https://www.foxbusin...me-retail-theft

Portland has lost population three years in a row. First time in its modern history.

Know it all.

#24658 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 06:39 AM

Two of my neighbours have put their houses on the market and are looking at moving to North Saanich or Sidney. Being in Victoria is no longer a good thing in their eyes. We are not at Portland's point yet but we should not be so arrogant to believe that it could not happen here.

• Nparker likes this

#24659 Daveyboy

Daveyboy
  • 528 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 06:52 AM

I moved out of Victoria to a quieter suburb two years ago this week.  My levels of stress, wariness and frustration dropped dramatically almost immediately and I enjoy going for walks in the neighbourhood again. Too many years of 'was there another attempted break-in" or "watch those guys carefully as you walk by them" caught up with me and although it was a hassle to move, I am enjoying a peaceful life to a much greater extent now.

• Nparker, Sparky, Love the rock and 2 others like this

#24660 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 03:04 PM

Residents and commuters in the 600-block of Queens Avenue noticed a heavy emergency services presence Monday morning.

Victoria Police Department confirmed a tent fire in the neighbourhood early on March 27.

The incident is in the early stages of investigation but no injuries were reported.

https://www.vicnews....ze-in-victoria/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 March 2023 - 03:04 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)