Photo

Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
26003 replies to this topic

#12421 VicPushedOver

VicPushedOver
  • 450 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 01:12 AM

834 has always had supported housing on the second floor. I know a senior that lives there. Don't conflate them with the circus next door.

Provincial, and extorted CRD money has flooded in to Victoria so certain SJW individuals can virtue signal each other. It's a cancer. And that cancer is called --Cultural Marxism--. Even if City Hall or their Apologists won't admit it. How else could you describe it?

• A Girl is No one likes this

#12422 Shelby

Shelby
  • 269 posts
  • LocationToo close

Posted 12 April 2017 - 05:07 PM

Brett is at it again, this time in Duncan.

http://www.cowichanv...idents-defiant/

#12423 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,154 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 05:54 PM

^ Can somebody tell me what a "cultural hunger strike" is?

CB.jpg

http://www.cowichanv...-be-taken-down/

#12424 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,874 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 06:03 PM

For a sure protest bet, call Chrissy Brett.

• Dietrich and A Girl is No one like this

#12425 Langford Rat

Langford Rat
  • 405 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 06:26 PM

When cultural hunger strikes, I usually go for Chinese or Indian food....but that's just my preference...

• VicHockeyFan, Nparker, Dietrich and 2 others like this

#12426 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 06:55 PM

Former Victoria tent city dwellers unhappy with transitional housing
Resident group concerned about locked stairwells, limited kitchen access and excessive visitor restrictions

The two meals per days sucks!

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...4067970?cmp=rss

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#12427 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 06:59 PM

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...4067959?cmp=rss

Nearly one year since B.C. health officials declared the overdose crisis a public health emergency, none of the applications for new supervised injection sites from around the province have been approved by Ottawa, says the chief medical health officer of Vancouver Coastal Health.

"The federal process for obtaining exemptions to operate these sites is far too slow," said Dr. Patricia Daly on Wednesday at Vancouver city council.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#12428 LJ

LJ
  • 12,763 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 07:18 PM

^"supervised suicide sites" you mean.

• jonny and A Girl is No one like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#12429 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 10:51 PM

^ Can somebody tell me what a "cultural hunger strike" is?

CB.jpg

http://www.cowichanv...-be-taken-down/

Chrissie! So great to see that smiling face again. With you on site as an advocate, homeless people in Duncan need not fear. You were such a helpful positive force at Tent City, never thinking of yourself always genuinely trying to help people. But hey, heads up to Duncan officials: if you clear out the camp and then Chrissie says she has to just nip back in and get something... maybe just have an officer go in and get it for her. Mmmmm-kay?

#12430 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 06:22 AM

Mental health? Yes, he ended up in Eric Martin a decade ago during one of his disappearances, but those in James Bay saw no outward indications of mental illness. Substance abuse? The autopsy showed fentanyl, but people at the service said he wasn’t a user; some suspected that Don, his health declining, had been given a pill to make him feel better. Poverty? He worked like a demon, harder than people with steady jobs, but money didn’t mean much to him. Homeless? Yes, but he could have lived with his parents had he wanted. Instead, he just dropped out of sight altogether in 2013.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.lrKxU3DD.dpuf

This is pretty typical.  He had been "given a pill".  No personal responsibility there, right?

Joan Athey recalled Don knocking on the door of her home, asking her for $10 so that he could buy a new inhaler for his asthma. She gave him the money, but was taken aback by the uncharacteristic request. The next week he apologized to her for having to ask. Now Athey wonders what kind of a society reduces an asthmatic man to begging for money for a puffer. It angers her that the help Don needed — with housing, finances, his health — was so hard to get. “I thought this was a preventable death.”

The homeless get tossed around like a political football during election campaigns, are often treated less as human beings than as a problem to be solved. In James Bay, people didn’t see “the homeless.” They saw Don.

This guy seemed more than capable of holding down a job - if he wanted one.  It seems he just decided not to.

#12431 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 06:32 AM

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.lrKxU3DD.dpuf

This is pretty typical.  He had been "given a pill".  No personal responsibility there, right?

This guy seemed more than capable of holding down a job - if he wanted one.  It seems he just decided not to.

Don't people on social assistance get free "puffers"?

#12432 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,354 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 07:16 AM

Does anyone know how the Vimy memorial ceremony went off in Duncan? I grew up there and that little green space, which didn't have a name in the 1960s, was the most beautiful and wonderfully maintained little park. It had a beautiful lawn and lovely flowers. Sad to see it looking like that now.

#12433 Dietrich

Dietrich
  • 337 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 08:53 AM

Joan Athey recalled Don knocking on the door of her home, asking her for $10 so that he could buy a new inhaler for his asthma. She gave him the money, but was taken aback by the uncharacteristic request. The next week he apologized to her for having to ask. Now Athey wonders what kind of a society reduces an asthmatic man to begging for money for a puffer. It angers her that the help Don needed — with housing, finances, his health — was so hard to get. “I thought this was a preventable death.”

Our society makes him 100% eligible for Premium Assistance and Pharmacare through the Ministry of Health and he does not have to pay for this.  

Edited by Dietrich, 13 April 2017 - 08:53 AM.

• jonny and A Girl is No one like this

#12434 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 02:41 PM

Our Place/900 Block Pandora, March 21 • Complaint sent to Our Place from an NPNA member about a man urinating on the VCM wall. She questioned why Our Pace security could not do anything. • Don Evans will respond directly to her about this concern. • Our Place security cannot act on anything that does not occur on their property. • Our Place will try whatever it can to encourage people to respect the neighbourhood. • Coun. Thornton-Joe suggested a poster contest in which members of the Our Place family make posters showing respectful behaviours on the block. There could be a prize for the best posters and businesses could display the posters. Don Evans and Coun. Thornton-Joe will work on organizing this. • Source Security sweeps have been extended to include Johnson St. • Our Place summer hours began on March 27. • Many people seek daytime sleeping space and have been using any available space at the drop-in centre. This has completely changed the dynamic of the drop- in. Starting in April, Our Place no longer will allow daytime sleeping at the drop-in. They will continue to advocate for daytime sleeping space elsewhere. • FirstMet shelter will stay open all summer. • The OD prevention pod is doing extremely well. • Expanded to three booths from two. Oxygen treatment can be used instead of Naloxone because ODs are caught sooner. • Visits to OD pod now are 85/day (includes some repeats). • ODs in Our Place washrooms decreased from 30 in January to five in March (to date of meeting). • Our Place is working on establishing a therapeutic recovery community. “Choices” shelter, in View Royal, will close soon and this space will become available. • Our Pace is currently working on raising $1.5M to start up. • Pilot of employment program for people with multiple barriers to employment is starting. There will be partnering with other agencies and potential employers

#12435 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,874 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 03:41 PM

...Coun. Thornton-Joe suggested a poster contest in which members of the Our Place family make posters showing respectful behaviours on the block. There could be a prize for the best posters and businesses could display the posters. Don Evans and Coun. Thornton-Joe will work on organizing this...

A poster contest? With all due respect to Ms Thornton-Joe, but what colour is the sky on her world? Will the prize be a lifetime supply of Naloxone? Or would the irony of no consequences for bad behaviour be lost on the winning recipient?

• jonny, Shelby and A Girl is No one like this

#12436 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 03:46 PM

Please, let's not treat them like children, with a freaking colouring contest.

• Nparker, jonny and Midnightly like this

#12437 Shelby

Shelby
  • 269 posts
  • LocationToo close

Posted 15 April 2017 - 06:06 PM

Will continue to advocate for day time sleep space ELSEWHERE?. What a joke!

#12438 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 06:14 PM

^

Many people seek daytime sleeping space and have been using any available space at the drop-in centre. This has completely changed the dynamic of the drop- in. Starting in April, Our Place no longer will allow daytime sleeping at the drop-in. They will continue to advocate for daytime sleeping space elsewhere

#12439 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 517 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 07:26 PM

Will continue to advocate for day time sleep space ELSEWHERE?. What a joke!

The sleeping-in-cars motion was submitted by Mayor Lisa Helps and Councillor Chris Coleman a few days after this meeting.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#12440 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,354 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 08:09 AM

Most likely the library will have even more snoring people lounging about. And needles found in the men's washroom last week.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users