Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
25967 replies to this topic

#12441 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 08:15 AM

Ya the library is pretty full of sleepers. Might be less as the weather gets better.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#12442 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 06:33 PM

Yates street by Yates market is really turning into an extension of Pandora.... Can't go shopping there without being yelled at by some drug addict...gahhh I used to love that store...
  • rmpeers likes this

#12443 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 06:42 PM

Someone I know was visiting relatives in Duncan over the weekend. She reported there were ten or so tents set up by the cenotaph with a barbeque and Chrissy Brett in the middle. I hope Duncan doesn't let this get out of hand or that lovely cenotaph area will be ruined just like the courthouse grounds.

#12444 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 07:27 PM

its kind of old news it was on CHEK and CTV a week ago in regard to them being in the way of the Vimy 100 celebration. The ywere trying to get them to move further away form the cenotaph but I guess they stayed put because it is a public park

#12445 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 08:11 PM

How does Brett make money?

#12446 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 07:50 AM

I am surprised that here hasn't been any chatter about the tent camp in Duncan coming down tomorrow. The judge has agreed with the reasoning behind the request for injunction. Look for Ms. Brett on the 6:00 news soon.

#12447 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 07:54 AM

They got their injunction in 9 days.  How long did we wait?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#12448 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:10 AM

How does Brett make money?

Treaty Annuity Payments? Other sources of First Nations funding?

I can't imagine she's not taking a handout somewhere along the line. Generally the ones that complain the most about government are the first ones to take a cheque from them.

• Nparker likes this

#12449 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,767 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:10 AM

They got their injunction in 9 days.  How long did we wait?

More than 9 months.  :mad:

#12450 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:03 AM

135A Street woes: 'It just costs so much money to do business around here'
Businessowners near the strip say they're struggling to stay open

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...4075134?cmp=rss

Now, I'm thinking...  the 800 and 900 blocks of Pandora and Johnson are not exactly booming.  The Market, in the 900-block Yates has uniformed security guards now, they never had them before last year.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#12451 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 517 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:52 AM

its kind of old news it was on CHEK and CTV a week ago in regard to them being in the way of the Vimy 100 celebration. The ywere trying to get them to move further away form the cenotaph but I guess they stayed put because it is a public park

CHEK News has amended their story to show that Rob Webber, at the Vimy Ridge memorial / homeless camp in Duncan, is not a Canadian Forces veteran.  The original version claiming he was a vet, written with files from CHEK, is still on the CBC web site.

I raised this with CHEK News about this back on April 13th.  And I first asked Webber about it on April 8th.

There is still some confusion about what was actually said to the reporter.  Have to say, I am curious as to what is actually on the reporter's audio recording. 

• Awaiting Juno and A Girl is No one like this

#12452 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 12:21 PM

March was the third-highest month for illicit drug overdose deaths in the province, the B.C. Coroners Service said today.

The latest batch of statistics from the office show the overdose public health crisis is not slowing down, despite major funding and policy efforts to curb the deaths.

In March, 120 people died from illicit drug use. This is a 51 per cent increase from the 79 deaths in March 2016, when the overdoses were declared a public health crisis.

Victoria has third-highest drug mortality rate, with 30 overdose deaths between January and March.

However, Island Health is the only health authority in the province that did not see an increase in deaths from February.

According to the coroners office, people between the ages of 30 and 49 account for most of the deaths. Men account for 82.7 per cent of the deaths.

As in previous months, more than half the overdose deaths take place in residences while none has occurred at prevention sites.

The coroners service drug investigation team reviewed deaths from 2015 and 2016 and determined the top four drugs relevant to the deaths were; cocaine (48.8 per cent), fentanyl (43.1 per cent), heroin (37.1 per cent) and methamphetamine/amphetamines (29.6 per cent).

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.17sLWEOT.dpuf

I'm quoting the entire article here just to highlight it seems funny the way the number are presented.

What's the deaths for the Island, and Victoria in March?

#12453 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 12:27 PM

As in previous months, the vast majority of deaths occurred inside, with 54.8% of all illicit drug overdoses occurring in private residences. The remainder occurred in other inside locations (34.3%) or outside, including vehicles (10.4%). There were no deaths at supervised consumption sites or drug overdose prevention sites.

https://news.gov.bc....PSSG0032-001175

That's an interesting stat to include, no?  Would we get a breakdown of people that were murdered inside, vs. outside?  Or died of cancer inside, or outside?

In fact maybe it says "housing first" is not working.  But it's worth noting that 34.3% occurred outside of private residences, so I'll guess that's your Subway bathroom etc.

• Nparker, pennymurphy2000 and A Girl is No one like this

#12454 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 12:35 PM

B.C. illicit drug overdoses surge in March
Coroners Service says 120 people died during the month, an increase from 108 deaths in February

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...march-1.4075962

Surge?

They went from 3.857 per day to 3.870 per day.

#12455 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,767 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 12:41 PM

I found this interesting

...As in previous months, more than half the overdose deaths take place in residences while none has occurred at prevention sites...

So unless we invest in staff to monitor all possible illicit drug users 24/7 there seems to be no practical way to prevent 50% of overdose deaths. Perhaps it's time to investigate a zero tolerance policy in publicly funded shelters and focus efforts more towards getting people to stop using, rather than using "safely".

• LJ, Midnightly and A Girl is No one like this

#12456 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 12:49 PM

https://news.gov.bc....PSSG0032-001175

That's an interesting stat to include, no?  Would we get a breakdown of people that were murdered inside, vs. outside?  Or died of cancer inside, or outside?

In fact maybe it says "housing first" is not working.  But it's worth noting that 34.3% occurred outside of private residences, so I'll guess that's your Subway bathroom etc.

EDIT:   Oh, there is "other residences" besides private residences.  Not sure what that means.  My friend's house?  Or a shelter?

#12457 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,767 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 12:54 PM

EDIT:   Oh, there is "other residences" besides private residences.  Not sure what that means.  My friend's house?  Or a shelter?

My guess would be (low-barrier) shelters are the type of residence where overdose deaths are occurring the most.

• pennymurphy2000 and A Girl is No one like this

#12458 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 01:04 PM

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...march-1.4075962

Surge?

They went from 3.857 per day to 3.870 per day.

What is going on with the media these days? There is so much over-exaggeration on every issue. Everything is surging and out of control if you just read the headlines or listen to the soundbites without using your own brain.

Every day we hear about one bloody crisis or another. Housing crisis. Day care crisis. Affordability crisis. Student debt crisis. Overdoes crisis. Opioid crisis.

How will we deal when we face an actual crisis? I guess we'll just stand there in shock with blank, empty looks on our faces.

• Nparker, pennymurphy2000, A Girl is No one and 1 other like this

#12459 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,767 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 01:06 PM

What is going on with the media these days? There is so much over-exaggeration on every issue...

It's the "Kardashianization" of the media. Everything is a superlative, but not in a good way.

• jonny likes this

#12460 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 01:10 PM

On the news a while back they had a girl who was in a student debt crisis because her degree in basket weaving actually didn't guarantee she could get a decent job...maybe fewer people should get degrees in basket weaving then? Nope, we should just increase government funding.

But, I digress...

Regarding the opioid issue, my guess is that nothing will change until dead overdosed children start showing up in the news. Until then, it will be business as usual.

• A Girl is No one likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)