Photo

Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
25967 replies to this topic

#12541 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 10:47 AM

Rating shelters? What is this, The Grapes of Wrath? "Flush toilets, Ma! And hot coffee!"

• Nparker likes this

#12542 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 10:50 AM

Stephen Hammond (from Mad As Hell) says the initial rezoning meeting for Mt. Edwards has 28 people for 80 against. He says that the dry cleaner on Johnson had to pay $5,000 for a fence (I'm not even sure what it really does) and that the Ageless Living store is "being robbed blind".

• David Bratzer, pennymurphy2000 and A Girl is No one like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#12543 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 11:01 AM

I think the purpose of the fence at the dry cleaners was to prevent people from sitting on those concrete planters. But ya, it's an odd fence. Not at all surprised about Ageless Living either. I can't count the amount of times I've had to lay on the horn for jaywalkers walking across (yes, walking...not running) Johnson from that store to 844 in the past couple weeks.

Apparently The 834 strata AGM a couple weeks ago got pretty heated. Some fence/gate proposal I gather.

• pennymurphy2000 and A Girl is No one like this

#12544 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 04:50 PM

Stephen Hammond (from Mad As Hell) says the initial rezoning meeting for Mt. Edwards has 28 people for 80 against. He says that the dry cleaner on Johnson had to pay $5,000 for a fence (I'm not even sure what it really does) and that the Ageless Living store is "being robbed blind".[/size]

[/size]

By the time the vote was taken, at a neighbour's request having heard the totally biased summary by the FGCA person, many detractors had already !eft. It was around 9 o'clock, or 2 hours into the meeting. So the degree of disapproval is even higher than the vote indicates. Also, the 28 votes in favour include at least 6 people affiliated with Coolaid (only those I know and recognized, I'm know there were more but I can't identify them by name and position at Coolaid so I'm opting for the conservative estimate). None of them left before the end.

Edited by A Girl is No one, 25 April 2017 - 04:55 PM.

• pennymurphy2000 likes this

#12545 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 06:25 PM

...the 28 votes in favour include at least 6 people affiliated with Coolaid...None of them left before the end.

They were probably being paid to attend.

#12546 pennymurphy2000

pennymurphy2000
  • 419 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 06:36 PM

By the time the vote was taken, at a neighbour's request having heard the totally biased summary by the FGCA person, many detractors had already !eft. It was around 9 o'clock, or 2 hours into the meeting. So the degree of disapproval is even higher than the vote indicates. Also, the 28 votes in favour include at least 6 people affiliated with Coolaid (only those I know and recognized, I'm know there were more but I can't identify them by name and position at Coolaid so I'm opting for the conservative estimate). None of them left before the end.

I counted 7 Cool Aid employees. I am sure there were more. 

#12547 pennymurphy2000

pennymurphy2000
  • 419 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 06:44 PM

I think the purpose of the fence at the dry cleaners was to prevent people from sitting on those concrete planters. But ya, it's an odd fence. Not at all surprised about Ageless Living either. I can't count the amount of times I've had to lay on the horn for jaywalkers walking across (yes, walking...not running) Johnson from that store to 844 in the past couple weeks.

Apparently The 834 strata AGM a couple weeks ago got pretty heated. Some fence/gate proposal I gather.

So it only took them 7 months to figure out that their new neighbours have major problems and that warehousing high needs people in an SRO facility is going to be a nightmare. 

• Nparker likes this

#12548 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 08:41 PM

Oh it only took a few days for that realization.

#12549 pennymurphy2000

pennymurphy2000
  • 419 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 08:51 PM

Oh it only took a few days for that realization.

Not for all of them. I went to a few of the community meetings hosted by PHS and there was quite a few people from 834 who were convinced that it would take a month or two to get settled and then everything would be right as rain. Driving around that area is scary. People are wandering out into traffic all the time. I am surprised no one has been hit. 

#12550 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 09:33 PM

Ya I think that's why the AGM this year was so contentious. A lot of 834 owners still are giving 844 the benefit of the doubt. Not as many as last summer, but there are still some holdouts. Then you have the seriously fed up faction. Mix those two groups with those who are indifferent in the middle and it's a recipe for a heated AGM.

#12551 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 11:38 AM

walked by Christ Church cathedral at lunch yesterday. There was a homeless person peeing against the church. At lunch.

Went to the Y at 7PM. Saw two people come out of Mt Edwards. Sat down and started drinking beer. Within 5 minutes, one of them was peeing against the church wall.. They were joined by another Mt Edwards resident that first went and walked his dog in pioneer square (where dogs are not allowed).

A few minutes later, a group of about 4 homeless people walked into Pioneer square with dogs and cigarettes in hand. They walked right past the signs that clearly say "no dogs" and "no smoking".  Another group joined them. By the time I left, 20 minutes later, there were around 10 of them, with gear and all.

Every time I have been going there lately is the same thing. There are either: ambulance at Mt Edwards, people peeing/s***ting against the church walls, passed out from drugs, drug deals, etc. This is always in daylight hours, and school hours too sometimes.

This is happening now because of Mt Edwards, with only 35 people, and a security guard in place. What are we to expect when there are almost 100, and no more security guards?

Cool-Aid has no respect for the neighborhood. They have clearly stated over and over again that they care about the safety of the residents INSIDE their facility. They are not responsible for what they do once outside the facility, or for the safety of the neighborhood residents.

It's unacceptable.

• weirdie, Midnightly, pennymurphy2000 and 1 other like this

#12552 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 12:08 PM

There are different rules for "desperate" people.

• Daveyboy, Love the rock and A Girl is No one like this

#12553 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 12:32 PM

Ya I think that's why the AGM this year was so contentious. A lot of 834 owners still are giving 844 the benefit of the doubt. Not as many as last summer, but there are still some holdouts. Then you have the seriously fed up faction. Mix those two groups with those who are indifferent in the middle and it's a recipe for a heated AGM.

This direct to me from an 834 owner:

The proposed fence in front of 834 did not get approved. We essentially voted against it as it was a very costly expense for a temporary situation. The common feeling is that 844 will not be able to sustain itself and will be gone by 2018x

• shoeflack and A Girl is No one like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#12554 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 02:47 PM

^ Hmmm. I wouldn't bet against an organization with unlimited funds. It could be trashed every day of the week and the Government will step up with more money to keep fixing it.

The only thing that will ever shut down 834 is public pressure. 

• Nparker, pennymurphy2000 and A Girl is No one like this

#12555 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 02:52 PM

Ya, I can't see it going, the government owns the physical building, not PHS.  But yes, pressure might work, pressure got Cool Aid moved from Swift St. to Rock Bay

#12556 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 27 April 2017 - 03:41 PM

Public pressure will move it as happened with Cool Aid. The government will buy another motel somewhere on the edge of downtown to house these folks and after a multi-million dollar refit Central Care will reopen as a dry shelter without a no eviction policy.
  • VicHockeyFan, Nparker and pennymurphy2000 like this

#12557 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 06:14 PM

I don't know....someone from CCH has already killed an innocent bystander.... You'd think if anything was going to put pressure on govmts, it would be a gratuitous random murder.....

Edited by A Girl is No one, 27 April 2017 - 06:17 PM.

#12558 Dietrich

Dietrich
  • 337 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 07:47 AM

This direct to me from an 834 owner:

The proposed fence in front of 834 did not get approved. We essentially voted against it as it was a very costly expense for a temporary situation. The common feeling is that 844 will not be able to sustain itself and will be gone by 2018x

Sounds like a case of wishful and overly optimistic thinking

#12559 Karma2017

Karma2017
  • 61 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 08:01 AM

I don't know....someone from CCH has already killed an innocent bystander.... You'd think if anything was going to put pressure on govmts, it would be a gratuitous random murder.....

That's the problem a lot of people don't connect the dots that that person who killed that other person is from the central care home... Same with all these drug addicts being the cause of all these problems people just refuse to want to see the connection or just blame the drugs and are complicit in these people denial and help them make excuses, say, no it's the drugs that make them do it...I don't care the reason if you're that out-of-control you belong in jail cuz you're a danger to everyone... theyre so much in denial it's unreal
  • Midnightly, Awaiting Juno and A Girl is No one like this

#12560 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 08:11 AM

We were "unlucky" in that the dead guy is an anonymous out-of-towner.    

• A Girl is No one likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users