Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
25980 replies to this topic

#13081 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 06:42 PM

That is the benefit of unlimited funds to spend.

So you know, the government leases that building and is not responsible for it's exterior features or upgrades. That gate was built by the building owner, the paint and sealing will be paid for by the building owner, AND the landscape replacement will be paid for by the building owner... which by the way did I mention, is not the government?

Or you wanna change directions now and biotch about the government leasing a building now?
  • Nparker likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#13082 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 06:46 PM

No it's the entirely opposite side from the restaurant. Johnson vs. Pandora.

Yes I corrected that in my next post. The Johnson St. Side with the below ground patio had the restaurant. There are two secure doors on the Pandora side. One is right on the corner of Pandora and Johnson and us gated as a service entrance. The other is at the other side of the building ON Pandora and goes to the basement. It's a fully enclosed "cage". Totally safe from the Zombies.

Edited by sdwright.vic, 30 August 2017 - 06:48 PM.

#13083 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,617 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 05:22 AM

The tenant always pays for improvements. It may not be an immediate payment, but it will be reflected in either the NNN calculation the following year or included in the new lease rate at the next renewal period.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#13084 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 05:30 AM

Building maintenance is not a tenant improvement. The building needs painted and resealed.

Government... or at least this building is different then. We can not do ANYTHING to the building our self. Building owners have a office next to the Johnson Street side basement side. They have maintenance on site and do everything. Tenant improvements go through them. They have a budget, And will only do what the budget allows, which means anything the building wants done has to be in by the end of September. Costed and sourced and paid for by them out of their budget.

#13085 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,617 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 05:57 AM

A tenant improvement is beyond the scope of the landlord's commitment unless the lease spells out that the landlord agrees to carry out some tenant improvements, usually before a tenant moves in to the building. There may also be other clauses to that effect especially for long term leases, but that's not typically the case.

The way commercial leases work is a budget is set annually for various expenses (this budget is what leases refer to as "operating" or "maintenance" costs of a NNN lease). The tenant receives that budget from the landlord. The landlord does their best to work within that budget. If there are savings, they are taken into account by the next year's budget. If there are overruns or major building improvements planned those costs are also taken into consideration and can be split across several years of future budgets.

That's why commercial leases have a square footage lease rate and a square footage maintenance rate. Tenants pay for both.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#13086 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 06:10 AM

Since when I started working there in administration, and had to deal with on site building maintenance for everything, I am pretty sure I know how the building works.

Regardless, the building is being resealed and painted. Because of the scaffolding, all the landscaping will be removed, and then replaced. It will be replaced with something less friendly to campers/ sleepers.

Edited by sdwright.vic, 31 August 2017 - 07:28 AM.

#13087 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 06:31 AM

The homeless-free basement stairs.  That taxpayers paid for, regardless of who owns the building or how the paper trail works.

screenshot-www.google.ca-2017-08-31-07-28-24.png screenshot-www.google.ca-2017-08-31-07-27-59.png

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 31 August 2017 - 06:32 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#13088 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 07:30 AM

So you know, the government leases that building and is not responsible for it's exterior features or upgrades. That gate was built by the building owner, the paint and sealing will be paid for by the building owner, AND the landscape replacement will be paid for by the building owner... which by the way did I mention, is not the government?

Or you wanna change directions now and biotch about the government leasing a building now?

The landlord isn't impacted here. The desire to have an entrance constructed is solely that of the tenant and thus the tenant would be charged through the additional rent which is reconciled at year end. What I was suggesting though was that the Provincial Government would be happy to write the cheque in order to make the problem go away quietly. 

#13089 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,617 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 07:50 AM

Oh yeah, there's no free ride in a landlord/tenant relationship, especially for commercial properties. Tenants pay the entirety of a property's commercial tax, interior and grounds maintenance, structural/envelope/grounds insurance (in addition to tenant insurance), and all building improvements. The taxpayer will be paying for every penny of the improvements carried out to the CRA building. A portion of those costs (calculated in terms of occupied square footage) would have been paid by the Mexican restaurant operator if they were still around. And for all we know, the added cost pressure of being in that location might have driven them out.

Even residential tenants can face increases in their rent above the provincial maximum if the landlord undertakes a building improvement that necessitates increasing rent in excess of the general maximum.

Know it all.

#13090 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 08:05 AM

screenshot-oemmndcbldboiebfnladdacbdfmadadm-2017-09-01-09-01-35.png

Looking through that document, here's what I do NOT see...

Any ask that the clients prove need before they access services.

Any ask that clients respect the neighbourhood, or any code of conduct for clients.

Anything about OPS being accountable to funders - private and public.

Anything about being a good neighbour to the immediate area.

Anything about measuring results (cost/benefit or otherwise) of programs offered.  

In Priority #1, I object to the goal of operating the facility long hours and 7 days per week.  That builds a dependency by clients.  And surely the goal is at some time to wean them off the free programs, once they have been successful.

In Priority #3, I submit that many of their services actually increase "systemic issues that cause poverty an homelessness".  They do not address it.  ie. they make it easy to buy (spend money on) and consume drugs at the facility and nearby.

In Priority they talk about trust, accountability, credibility and transparency.  But apart from general income, and general expenditures, they have no accounting or transparency for individual programs or salaries.  If they truly were interested in transparency, they would voluntarily publish those items just like public bodies have to do in this province.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 01 September 2017 - 08:18 AM.

• Nparker and A Girl is No one like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#13091 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 08:53 AM

^ A cynic would suggest that maintaining a dependency is a form of job security. There is a 1:1 correlation between regions that offer free services and make it easy for participants to consume drugs and an increased rate of overdoses. 

• Nparker, Midnightly and A Girl is No one like this

#13092 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,617 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 09:08 AM

The Coalition to End Homelessness comes to mind.
  • A Girl is No one likes this

Know it all.

#13093 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 12:33 PM

The College of Physicians and Surgeons’ guideline had only methadone as a treatment option for 40 years, even though Suboxone has been available in Canada for eight years, Johnson says.

“Other countries have been using this medication since the ’90s so Canada is a slow adopter overall.”

Members of the methadone group, including Williamson, say their attempts to change to Suboxone were unsuccessful because they couldn’t tolerate tapering down their Methadose dosage and felt they were headed for relapse.

Johnson says there isn’t enough research on Methadose patients changing to Suboxone but the centre is considering a clinical trial to learn how patients would fare.

She agrees with Shaver, Williamson and others that the change to Methadose should have involved the people who would be directly affected.

“That was terrible. If there was a drug that 60-year-old businessmen had to go and pick up every single day from the pharmacy you bet they’d be consulted. Because it’s vulnerable and marginalized populations it’s not the same considerations, which is not acceptable.”

http://www.sookenews...-opioid-crisis/

Wait one minute.  Doctors, lawyers and teachers - and businessmen - are heavy heroin users, other health officials tell us.

• Nparker and Daveyboy like this

#13094 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 946 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 03:25 PM

http://www.sookenews...-opioid-crisis/

Wait one minute.  Doctors, lawyers and teachers - and businessmen - are heavy heroin users, other health officials tell us.

One big problem is if you never go through one kind of withdrawal or another you
never get off drugs period.
You have a bad / sad /painful day you look to the streets to get more of your drug of
choice .
Now all of a sudden you're buy methadone or whatever your drug of choice is regularly off the streets and using your methadone prescription.
You're stuck in the loop .
Often once an addict looks to be doing well on "the program "they are allowed to get
methadone to take home instead of doing it at the pharmacy.
Now they can lower their dose down themselves no tell the doctor and sell excess on pandora street which happens .
The word withdrawal and a maximum timeline to achieve being drug free need to proposed on their first visit with the doctor.
The time line needs to be set by the college of physicians and surgeons.
Permanently exchanging one drug for another doesn't work your body is still looking
to get high .
What I say to William Shaver is sorry you have had a long and difficult road with addiction to pain medication we need to have you slowly go through the
withdrawal symptoms.
Methadone withdrawal can cause physical pain for as long as six months along with some other fun stuff.
It should be used as a tool not a solution.
I have heard from an addict that the withdrawal from methadone is harder than the withdrawal from heroine.
Methadone only prescribed for server chronic pain is different .
Lowest dose possible not increased ever and only used in server cases .
  • Nparker and A Girl is No one like this

#13095 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 04:33 PM

844 Johnson, thriving barter economy:

screenshot-www.facebook.com-2017-09-05-17-34-34.png

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 05 September 2017 - 04:35 PM.

• Bingo likes this

#13096 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 04:40 PM

844 Johnson, thriving barter economy:

Anything larger than a mini fridge won't fit into a shopping cart.

#13097 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,829 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 04:43 PM

I'd ask to see the bill of sale on that BMX...and I suppose on that mini-fridge as well.

ps: Is there some sort of mystical connection between bicycles and playing cards? Is the seller suggesting that whoever trades for the BMX gets the luck of the draw?

#13098 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,071 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 10:48 AM

You put them in your spokes when you want to unlock the motorcycle upgrade.

Matt.
  • VicHockeyFan, Nparker, LJ and 4 others like this

#13099 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 12:05 PM

Anybody want to bet there is an awful lot more to this story?

Family with 9-year-old daughter living in a tent in View Royal

And the family did have an affordable four-bedroom home just a few months ago, but it was sold and they were forced out.

"It's quite the dramatic change but trying to stay positive and make the best of it I guess," said Stephens' husband Tyler Lumley.

http://victoriabctod...-in-view-royal/

#13100 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,829 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 01:51 PM

Anybody want to bet there is an awful lot more to this story?...

Alas, that is exactly what I thought when I saw the story on CHEK news last night. I am really becoming a cynic.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users