Photo

Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
25922 replies to this topic

#19081 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 09 August 2020 - 06:13 AM

Same BS as during tje court house tent city. It’s obvious it was orchestrated by the poverty pimps. They always pick the most likeable people they can find.

My take always:
Paul’s only half full (been noted already but worth repeating)
The best people to talk to were a couple who was already living at the Travelodge until they were evicted BECAUSE BC Housing bought the building. I would venture that that couple’s situation got much worse with the addition of the new neighbours but they have much more money to spend on drugs now. I don’t know if they have to pay the $300 from their IA for their room now but at the very least, they are making an additional $800 per month between the two of them. I wonder how many people are getting the extra $100 per week.
The BBQ for the neighbours is another standard practice. The tent city across the street from the mayors house in Fernwood did it years ago before she moved them out of there. Court house tent city did it too. I’m sure that’s also orchestrated by the pimps. As if all that is needed is a bunch of hot dogs to make the assaults, the robberies, the theft, the intimidation etc go away.
  • Awaiting Juno likes this

#19082 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 09 August 2020 - 07:24 AM

Same BS as during tje court house tent city. It’s obvious it was orchestrated by the poverty pimps. They always pick the most likeable people they can find.

My take always:
Paul’s only half full (been noted already but worth repeating)
The best people to talk to were a couple who was already living at the Travelodge until they were evicted BECAUSE BC Housing bought the building. I would venture that that couple’s situation got much worse with the addition of the new neighbours but they have much more money to spend on drugs now. I don’t know if they have to pay the $300 from their IA for their room now but at the very least, they are making an additional $800 per month between the two of them. I wonder how many people are getting the extra $100 per week.
The BBQ for the neighbours is another standard practice. The tent city across the street from the mayors house in Fernwood did it years ago before she moved them out of there. Court house tent city did it too. I’m sure that’s also orchestrated by the pimps. As if all that is needed is a bunch of hot dogs to make the assaults, the robberies, the theft, the intimidation etc go away.

People are careful about their social circles for a reason - making friends with the wrong person can open a person up to being a victim of crime or abuse.  Seniors are particularly vulnerable to those kinds of situations.  Just imagine "I met this nice young man who is just really down on his luck - he has nothing, and he really needs a hand up.  I know, my kids don't really need anything, I'll leave my estate to that nice young man - it could really change his life."  Then, the estate and the kids are left with an estate dispute to try to right the fraud and lose a third of their inheritance to legal fees.  People with criminal tendencies and other vulnerable populations - children and seniors - should not mix socially for good reasons.  Why is that such a hard concept?  Do not create situations where abuse or crime is likely to be inflicted on others.  

#19083 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,453 posts

Posted 09 August 2020 - 07:58 AM

And for anyone who thinks Juno is overreacting, proof of seniors being swindled out of their money or encouraged to do something that a younger or more suspicious person wouldn’t is how phone scammers make their money.

We even had a local tech company processing payments for these off-shore organizations, and the Americans allege their ties to that industry went even deeper.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#19084 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 09 August 2020 - 08:07 AM

People are careful about their social circles for a reason - making friends with the wrong person can open a person up to being a victim of crime or abuse. Seniors are particularly vulnerable to those kinds of situations. Just imagine "I met this nice young man who is just really down on his luck - he has nothing, and he really needs a hand up. I know, my kids don't really need anything, I'll leave my estate to that nice young man - it could really change his life." Then, the estate and the kids are left with an estate dispute to try to right the fraud and lose a third of their inheritance to legal fees. People with criminal tendencies and other vulnerable populations - children and seniors - should not mix socially for good reasons. Why is that such a hard concept? Do not create situations where abuse or crime is likely to be inflicted on others.

I had not thought of that but we do know that homeless are often in that situation because ties with their families and friends were broken after theft or abuse of generosity - or both. It seemed most personal stories we heard during the court house tent city days involved some variation of that scenario.

#19085 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,001 posts

Posted 09 August 2020 - 10:45 AM

half the rooms at paul's are empty this article says.

https://www.timescol...sing-1.24183374

otherwise there is little of value in this article.   nothing in here says were are doing anything right.  we are even paying people $100/week to watch others use drugs.  seems counterproductive.

Well if the pimps admit to having half the rooms empty it means that it is likely closer to 2/3rds or 3/4s. The other point to consider is that we know some (if not many) of the rooms are being occupied by people who were paying to rent rooms at the Travellodge (and presumably other hotels) that were kicked out when the Province rent/bought them. After the media attention the Province then gave those people free rooms to keep them quiet.

I don't blame the TC. On one side they have advertisers telling them they will pull ads if they run negative stories that might discourage people from coming downtown or shopping, and on the other hand they have subscribers who threaten to cancel their subscriptions whenever a story about the homeless is run unless it is sympathetic. 

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#19086 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,831 posts

Posted 09 August 2020 - 11:22 AM

Ross and Shelby, who did not want their last names published, were renting a monthly room in the Travelodge before it was taken over by the province to house people living in tents at Topaz Park and along Pandora Avenue. They were initially evicted, but after speaking to B.C. Housing, were offered a space in the building. It is managed by the Coalition to End Homelessness and staffed by Island Health medical teams, harm-reduction teams from AVI Community Health Services and peer-support workers from the Umbrella Society, a non-profit agency that provides support for people with addictions.

Since moving into the building, each has received long-overdue medical care from on-site nurses and doctors. Shelby had painful abscesses in her teeth fixed and Ross has been put on anxiety medication and Dilaudid, an opioid prescribed to treat pain.

“We’re not doing illegal activities anymore,” said Ross, adding that their reliance on street drugs has dramatically reduced. “We are absolutely becoming people who are trying to make change in this building.”

Shelby and Ross have been together three years, and when Shelby, a 45-year-old mother of five, talks about how difficult it was to put up her two youngest children, now six and seven, for adoption, Ross, 38, grabs her hand to offer support.

They are part of the building’s peer witness program, a pilot project in which someone who wants to use drugs can call another resident to stay with them to make sure they don’t overdose.

The building’s safe consumption site is staffed only from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m., so the peer witness can be a life-saver when people want to use drugs outside those hours.

Residents can sign up for two-week stints. The Umbrella Society disperses a stipend of $100 a week.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 09 August 2020 - 11:23 AM.

#19087 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,453 posts

Posted 09 August 2020 - 11:56 AM

Hold on.

The Coalition to End Homelessness now manages real-estate? This is the first I’ve heard of them acting in this capacity.
  • martini likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#19088 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 09 August 2020 - 04:16 PM

Apparently a group of homeowners around the Strathcona park in Vancouver, the location of the latest tent city, are organizing a tax protest. Sounds like something we should investigate here for all the city core, including businesses.

#19089 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,831 posts

Posted 09 August 2020 - 04:21 PM

we can barely organize a petition.

I don’t expect anything more from our beacon hill park neighbours.

and not more than a half dozen businesses will speak up. Out of thousands downtown. They are too scared.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 09 August 2020 - 04:22 PM.

#19090 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,001 posts

Posted 09 August 2020 - 04:26 PM

Hold on.

The Coalition to End Homelessness now manages real-estate? This is the first I’ve heard of them acting in this capacity.

Helps them with their homeless 'counts'!

#19091 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,831 posts

Posted 09 August 2020 - 04:28 PM

this ndp government is throwing out homeless money left right and centre. not surprising organizations - even those dedicated to eradicating homelessness - want in on the gravy.

#19092 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,453 posts

Posted 09 August 2020 - 06:26 PM

Apparently a group of homeowners around the Strathcona park in Vancouver, the location of the latest tent city, are organizing a tax protest. Sounds like something we should investigate here for all the city core, including businesses.

Yeah! And my high school friend is leading the charge!! I saw her on TV today and couldn’t believe Katie was the community association pres.

Know it all.

#19093 Belleprincess

Belleprincess
  • 658 posts

Posted 09 August 2020 - 09:36 PM

Man, reading this forum is incredibly depressing. Don't you guys have anything better to do than to ***** about people who are battling addiction or struggling to survive? Like really, I live closer to Our Place than literally anyone in Victoria (okay, to be fair, my roommate is a couple feet closer) and I'm going about my life just fine. Maybe redirect your focus towards actual solutions (like housing or mental health treatments) rather than complain that the CoV hasn't yet kicked people out of BHP so you can look at flowers and ducks while not having to think about those less fortunate than you.

I read this forum as it is the only resource for up-to-date news on local urban design, architecture, etc. but I'm frankly disgusted at the selfish attitudes expressed by most users here,

I guess its easier to virtue signal and hide your head in the sand isn’t it? I was just like you not long ago. But sadly, I see a city I once loved - turn into a pile of garbage and rather quickly. Hide your head in the sand, you’re allowed to but we are also allowed to discuss our thoughts and feelings openly. If you don’t like it - stick to the things you came here for. It’s pretty simple.

Edited by Belleprincess, 09 August 2020 - 09:37 PM.

• mbjj, A Girl is No one and Barrrister like this

#19094 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,831 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 07:09 AM

del manak on Twitter:

Life saved. While on special duty patrol Sat afternoon in
@BurnsideGorge
@vicpdcanada
officers noticed an unresponsive male in his ground floor unit, overdosing with his lit cigarette catching fire to his hair. Officers breached door, administered Naloxone. #RightPlaceRightTime

#19095 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,001 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 07:58 AM

Surprised that the activists aren’t questioning why the cops were looking through windows of people’s ‘homes’.
  • Nparker, martini, GaryRanson and 4 others like this

#19096 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 05:23 PM

I can officially report that we got at least two newcomers to the Victoria tenting scene. I was walking on Dallas road and overheard two French Québec guys looking around like tourists and discussing the best spot to pitch their tents. How long before they are counted as « Long term Victoria residents »?

Edited by A Girl is No one, 10 August 2020 - 05:24 PM.

• Nparker and mbjj like this

#19097 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 05:48 PM

That depends. You posted that at 6:43 pm; when did you spot them?

• mbjj, A Girl is No one and Victoria Watcher like this

#19098 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 09:27 PM

i was out today walking the dog with my friend and ran into another group of friends.. so this is second hand information and can't confirm.. we were chatting about what has happened lately in the city, the stabbings, people being threatened in the parks, the camps popping up all over, and how every time we walk through central park there seems to be more tents every week he made a comment that he heard an activist talking while at the park saying that they need more tents, they need more people, the neighborhood isn't going to like it but we need more.. and hearing that frustrates me to no end... these are not just campers down on their luck... these are tent cities with activists in them actively trying to create a problem, trying to stir the pot, anger the neighbourhood, while continuing to take over the park... and it makes me think... if there is an activist in central park, there is probably a few at beacon hill, a couple in the centennial square camp, and maybe even all the other camps that have popped up

• newbie_01 likes this

#19099 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,831 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 02:41 AM

npna is now run by a full slate of activists so no surprise.
  • Nparker likes this

#19100 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,831 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 05:31 AM

What will it take to fix our park?

A recent heartfelt letter described a homeless woman’s hard times and requested greater public understanding of and sympathy for the plight of the homeless. I am trying to make her letter fit with some recent Beacon Hill Park experiences.

My wife and I, a few days ago, at the supper hour, were walking near the playground in the centre of the park. We heard a man, walking up one of the park paths, talking loudly to himself about raping women. As he walked past us, he stopped and proposed to rape my wife. This really happened.

https://www.timescol...vers-1.24184236

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users