Photo

Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
25967 replies to this topic

#19141 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 01:54 PM

Yet again there's this effort to shift the spotlight away from the tangible & the concrete (what the authorities are doing or not doing) and over to the murky & divisive realm of how people feel.

If your modus operandi is to constantly fire off generalized accusations about the hatefulness of other people, what you're really doing is revealing your own hateful nature. When you don't know those other people, when you don't listen to those other people, when you don't regard those other people as individuals, when you spare no opportunity to smear those other people and dismiss their specific concerns... that's pretty much the definition of hateful & disrespectful conduct.

For crying out loud, try to stay focused! There are no end of things that can be evaluated & measured & IMPROVED, without requiring the services of Star Trek-style emotion readers.

• Rob Randall, Nparker, Daveyboy and 3 others like this

#19142 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 02:04 PM

you ever notice that there are nearly no Asian homeless people?

Chinese or Korean Canadians, or indo Canadians.

Culture plays a large part in homelessness.

My best friend of over fifty years is of Chinese ancestry. They are such hard workers. Her parents ran a corner store, which I practically grew up in. Hardly ever took a day off. Very generous people too, were very good to me as a kid.

#19143 JimV

JimV
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 05:34 PM

Just a couple of anecdotal observations.

Drove down Southgate today.  Noticed the city worker picking up garbage was accompanied by a uniformed security guard.  The guard looked pretty scrawny but I guess there’s the uniform factor and I suppose he had a radio.

Went to a car dealership to get some minor repair work done that was required by one of Victoria’s most vulnerable rifling through my car.  I described what happened to the technician.  He was spitting mad, not about my car but the city in general.  He had several choice things to say about the mayor.  I added that the idiot council was also responsible.  He said I was being far too generous in my assessment of the council.  This is pretty much the reaction I get from everyone I talk to these days.

• Nparker, mbjj and rmpeers like this

#19144 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 05:39 PM

Local radio ads for a window repair business now feature a person whose car got broken into. Before it was errant golf balls.

If that’s not a sign of the times, I don’t know what is.
  • Nparker, newbie_01 and Barrrister like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#19145 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 06:47 PM

Remember that complaining about the issues you are personally impacted by such as broken windows or broken into car makes you officially a hater by our government sponsored agencies. In my book if the government continues to support agencies that stir up divisiveness instead of showing an actual interest in helping those they are supposed to help, they own the problem.
  • Nparker, Love the rock and rmpeers like this

#19146 LJ

LJ
  • 12,746 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 07:18 PM

Where we are headed...

https://youtu.be/Wh6saOx-Q6s

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#19147 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 07:28 PM

^ Sorry but that looks like an improvement to what we have here. At least people are not being randomly stabbed and robbed routinely.

#19148 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,082 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 05:07 AM

good grief.

Coun. Charlayne Thronton-Joe said there have been concerns about people moving to the region due to mild climate and the availability of places to camp, but the PiT count eradicated that myth.

https://www.vicnews....t-least-a-year/
  • A Girl is No one likes this

#19149 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 05:29 AM

good grief.

Coun. Charlayne Thronton-Joe said there have been concerns about people moving to the region due to mild climate and the availability of places to camp, but the PiT count eradicated that myth.

https://www.vicnews....t-least-a-year/

Oh, that's classic. Yes, completely eradicated that myth all right.

Edited by rmpeers, 14 August 2020 - 05:29 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#19150 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,082 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 05:35 AM

so we have VV forumers and Adam Stirling on the science and logic side.

all other media, politicians and poverty pimps on the fantasy side.
  • Awaiting Juno, A Girl is No one and Belleprincess like this

#19151 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 05:56 AM

Hold on. 82% have lived here for more than one year?

Doesn’t the data show 12% answered they are new arrivals, and 4% didn’t answer or remember? Where does 82% come from, Black Press?

The PiT count found that 82 per cent of people who were surveyed lived in the area longer than one year, with 42 per cent living in the region for five years and 22 per cent residing in Greater Victoria for their entire lives.

• A Girl is No one likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#19152 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 06:10 AM

Hold on. 82% have lived here for more than one year?

Doesn’t the data show 12% answered they are new arrivals, and 4% didn’t answer or remember? Where does 82% come from, Black Press?

The actual report says 84% have been hear a year or more. I notice they always give the percentages because it sounds better than saying that as many as 243 arrived here in the past year. Then the other thing they claim is that half of those people became homeless after arriving here.
  • Belleprincess likes this

#19153 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 06:15 AM

Ok, I thought Black had it wrong.

Now that the mayor wants to prioritize people who’ve been here for a year or more, the next PIT could could quite possibly have a very small number of respondents who truthfully say they’re new arrivals. Why would you?
  • rmpeers likes this

Know it all.

#19154 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 06:38 AM

We need to remember that what most of us think as homeless (ie campers) and what the survey counts as homeless are two different things.

If you do not have a permanent place to live of your own then the survey considers you homeless. Living with a friend, being in treatment, living in a halfway or transition house, etc, etc are all counted as homeless. Campers represent about 10% (or less) of the 'homeless' counted. This is by design. The count is done at night in the dark so volunteers are not wandering into parks or other unlit areas looking for people in tents to survey.

What most people are concerned about are the people moving here and living on the streets and in parks, not those living with their buddies. 

If you look at the report, about 150 people were counted as living rough and about 240 people have been here less than a year. It is quite possible then that the majority of the campers are new to Victoria.

I would argue that the reason why the PIT count folks refuse to release their data and report the way they do is to hide that fact.

Edited by spanky123, 14 August 2020 - 06:45 AM.

• Mike K., Nparker, pennymurphy2000 and 2 others like this

#19155 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,082 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 06:38 AM

of course. who is going to say they are newly arrived if free rooms are being given out.
  • A Girl is No one and jrm like this

#19156 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 06:42 AM

of course. who is going to say they are newly arrived if free rooms are being given out.

Which is the other point, the 'homeless' don't complete the survey and are not vetted. The people filling in the surveys are volunteers recruited by the various poverty promotion groups.  I am not saying it happens but if you were concerned about the %'s of people reporting as newcomers, then the simple fix is to check the box that says > 1 year when filling out the form. Nobody would ever know.

• pennymurphy2000 and A Girl is No one like this

#19157 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,082 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 06:50 AM

or of course there are going to be leading questions and assistance.

“now, Ralph, you’ve been in Victoria over a year, right?”
  • Nparker likes this

#19158 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 06:53 AM

or of course there are going to be leading questions and assistance.

“now, Ralph, you’ve been in Victoria over a year, right?”

They shouldn't be.

I think that most people do their job responsibly but there are also lots of times where the answer is confusing or contradictory and you fill in what you think the person intended to say.

#19159 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 07:24 AM

Ok, I thought Black had it wrong.

Now that the mayor wants to prioritize people who’ve been here for a year or more, the next PIT could could quite possibly have a very small number of respondents who truthfully say they’re new arrivals. Why would you?

Exactly. I think that’s the whole point. Send out the message that it’s not ok to say you’ve been here less than one year, and create an incentive to lie.

Edited by A Girl is No one, 14 August 2020 - 07:28 AM.

#19160 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 07:41 AM

The other lie the poverty promoters are telling is that most people who become homeless already live in Victoria. 

What I can tell you from having done the homeless surveys is that many people come to Victoria to live with a buddy or visit friends. After a few weeks they get kicked out (many places have a two week visitor maximum or they wind up in an argument) and find that it is far more expensive to live here then they expected so they wind up on the streets or in shelters.

Now the poverty folks will defend themselves and say that they are telling the truth, the person was living here and then became homeless. Remember though that they count living with friends as being homeless in the first place.

• Nparker, A Girl is No one and Lost password like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users