Photo

Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
25967 replies to this topic

#19201 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 19 August 2020 - 01:06 PM

I am going to push the BS button. An article written by the Community Social Planning Council of Greater Victoria and the Greater Victoria Coalition to End Homelessness.

The problem with the Point in Time survey is that it is run by activists. There is no objective third party ensuring that the "84%" are actually those that were living here and not attracted by Helps and Co. for free services.

https://www.timescol...ere-1.24188663

Absolutely, they lack any objectivity and therefore their reports aren't credible.

And they are obsessed with denying the "myth" that many move here from elsewhere. Even when their own evidence clearly shows it to be true. Presumably the industry likes increasing its client base but doesn't want to admit it.
  • A Girl is No one likes this

#19202 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 19 August 2020 - 02:41 PM

Agreed. The narrative they use is constantly tap dancing around the obvious fact that homeless people are migrating here to be homeless. The dishonesty of their tap dance, the fact that they don’t even want to entertain that option proves that activism is a stronger driver than actually making things better.
  • Nparker, rmpeers, Victoria Watcher and 1 other like this

#19203 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 19 August 2020 - 06:20 PM

The Hoomans of Beacon Hill Park have put out a wacky video featuring Adam Stirling, Hitler, and maybe Bolsheviks, lol.

#19204 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 19 August 2020 - 06:39 PM

The Hoomans of Beacon Hill Park have put out a wacky video featuring Adam Stirling, Hitler, and maybe Bolsheviks, lol.

...i'm not recommending it, but here it is...

https://youtu.be/iLLoAn6VEmk

#19205 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 19 August 2020 - 08:33 PM

Completely delusional! If they think that having people complain about their bad behaviour in the park ranks at the same level as Hitler´third reich then they are simply not mentally well, and dare I suggest possible quite dangerous.
  • Awaiting Juno likes this

#19206 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 19 August 2020 - 09:42 PM

...i'm not recommending it, but here it is...

https://youtu.be/iLLoAn6VEmk

It’s been removed can someone give me highlights 

#19207 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 19 August 2020 - 11:17 PM

It’s been removed can someone give me highlights 

...montage of stills interspersing quotes about hate (as it applies to homeless in Victoria!??) with images of adam stirling, hitler, by-law officers in bhp, other apocalyptic imagery all overscored with a doomsday soundtrack... in short if you have a problem with 24/7 camping, thievery and drug abuse in public spaces then you are in fact ADOLF HITLER...equating looking for alternatives to our current mess of lawlessness and public danger to the holocaust...

hope that paints a picture for you....it was nothing short of insane!

• Love the rock and Awaiting Juno like this

#19208 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,072 posts

Posted 20 August 2020 - 01:32 AM

I guess it got removed. too much hitler.

#19209 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,561 posts

Posted 20 August 2020 - 06:20 AM

I saw it. Done quite professionally, too. This wasn’t just a ten minute hack job.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#19210 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 20 August 2020 - 06:41 AM

I saw it. Done quite professionally, too. This wasn’t just a ten minute hack job.

With all of the talent at UVIC and most of those folks sitting at home with nothing to do collecting free money, I would not expect anything less.

• Nparker, GaryRanson and rmpeers like this

#19211 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 20 August 2020 - 06:47 AM

They called it the fourth reich .
Hmmm they get to live ABOVE the law, are given free food, free money and tons of services, will eventually (or may have already been offered) free housing for life...if they want it, where they want it etc....
if they think that the people of this city are doing to them what Hitler did to the Jews, there is nothing keeping them from being violent towards anyone. I think this is a sign that this poses serious danger to the community.
  • Nparker, sebberry, mbjj and 1 other like this

#19212 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 August 2020 - 07:33 AM

"We need computers to find work and access services" =/= "We need MacBook Pros and Final Cut to portray local media and bylaw as Nazis".  

They said it was a 'coming soon' so... is it a trailer to something more?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#19213 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 20 August 2020 - 08:09 AM

It was definitely not done professionally. It was extremely amateurish. Someone just dumped a few clips of the local camp and interspersed them with some downloaded stock photography. It was stupid. And what's with the clip of the Beacon ice cream flyer stapled to a pole? Someone was giving out fake $10 gift certificates it looks like. What that has to do with anything I have no idea. 

#19214 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 20 August 2020 - 09:14 AM

It was definitely not done professionally. It was extremely amateurish. Someone just dumped a few clips of the local camp and interspersed them with some downloaded stock photography. It was stupid. And what's with the clip of the Beacon ice cream flyer stapled to a pole? Someone was giving out fake $10 gift certificates it looks like. What that has to do with anything I have no idea. 

The Beacon Hill Drive Inn coupons - coupon gate.  There's a bigger story there where quick summary from what I've been able to gather: a person was making large purchases from the drive in using coupons to feed the homeless in the park.

#19215 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 20 August 2020 - 09:22 AM

Oh, man--and the staff didn't know the coupons were counterfeit, I guess. Horrible.

#19216 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 20 August 2020 - 09:32 AM

Am I the only one that finds it ironic that the "Homes Not Hate" group is now banned from you-tube for hate speech?

Attached Images

• utube.JPG

• Nparker, rjag, martini and 1 other like this

#19217 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 20 August 2020 - 10:50 AM

Am I the only one that finds it ironic that the "Homes Not Hate" group is now banned from you-tube for hate speech?

I can't believe what I've just read here on my lunch break. Between the video and the fake coupons...JHC

#19218 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,072 posts

Posted 20 August 2020 - 10:55 AM

there is a reason even Canadian tire money is hard to forge. beacon drive inn should not have been so silly and amateur.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 August 2020 - 10:55 AM.

#19219 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,561 posts

Posted 20 August 2020 - 11:02 AM

The coupons were real, but according to the woman who purchased the food and made the coupons, BDI wanted her to stop handing out the coupons.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#19220 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 20 August 2020 - 11:03 AM

there is a reason even Canadian tire money is hard to forge. beacon drive inn should not have been so silly and amateur.

I doubt Beacon Hill could afford the investment that Canadian Tire could in making coupons.  Canadian Tire is still getting out of the coupon business towards a card.....something that is probably cost prohibitive as well.

Who in their right mind would think it's OK to steal from a family owned business......it is sickening.  Helps orchestrated this mess.....she should be responsible for paying for the costs of her mayhem.

• Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users