Camping on Vancouver Island

• Please log in to reply
438 replies to this topic

#401 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,852 posts

Posted 20 September 2022 - 06:59 AM

The campfire ban will lift today at noon.

Now we should get a flood of news articles on how light our wildfire year was, right?   :rtfm:

Or will they continue to warn us  - BUT BUT BUT!

screenshot-www.google.com-2022.09.20-10_59_45.png

Since April 1, 2022, there have been 1,355 wildfires in B.C. that have resulted in 43,000 hectares burned. Of these 1,355 wildfires, 93% are out, under control or being held. As many as 75% of the fire starts can be attributed to lightning.

Over the same time period last year, reflecting the extreme conditions faced in the province, there had been 1,562 fires with 865,298 hectares burned.

The number of wildfires and area burned are lower than the 20-year average for British Columbia at this time of year, which is 1,515 fires, and notably, 259,601 hectares burned

“B.C. is currently experiencing one of the lowest human-caused wildfire seasons since 1950. 

https://news.gov.bc....2FOR0062-001320

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 September 2022 - 07:04 AM.

#402 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 20 September 2022 - 07:00 AM

Most certainly. It was an “extreme” low, after all.
  • dasmo and Victoria Watcher like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#403 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,852 posts

Posted 20 September 2022 - 07:05 AM

Most certainly. It was an “extreme” low, after all.

I won't hold my breath waiting for all the articles.

I'll be busy counting all the Atlantic hurricanes anyway.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 September 2022 - 07:06 AM.

#404 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 20 September 2022 - 07:14 AM

That should (not) keep you busy.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#405 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,852 posts

Posted 25 December 2022 - 07:14 AM

British Columbia will have more happy campers in the new year.

Reservations open for many of BC Parks’ campsites on Jan. 3 at 7 a.m.

The sites can be booked four months before the scheduled arrival date.

https://www.vicnews....s-opening-soon/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 December 2022 - 07:16 AM.

#406 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 03 January 2023 - 05:32 AM

Today is the day for those looking to get a jump on camping reservations in BC for this year. You'd be well advised to hop to it ASAP as the BCG/BC Parks servers will be busy! Even with a new system this year its not without its critics as it merely places people in a random "lottery" style queue rather than on a "compete" first come. first served basis. Good luck.....

• Sparky likes this

#407 JohnsonStBridge

JohnsonStBridge
  • 342 posts
  • LocationInner Harbour

Posted 03 January 2023 - 10:41 AM

Hardly. The servers are going to be fine as not too many people are seeking a mid-week (May 3rd) reservation date. Heck, many of the parks don't even open for reservations until mid-May. The whole point of the rolling 4-month in advance booking policy is to spread out site traffic rather than have one opening date for the whole year that crashes the system. Reservations will still become hard to come by for popular weekend and summer dates but none of those are available to book yet.   

#408 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,338 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 03 January 2023 - 10:47 AM

JSB is right. It's not going to be crazy this time because they got smart and did a longer window, opening earlier. 

#409 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 03 January 2023 - 11:48 AM

Hardly. The servers are going to be fine as not too many people are seeking a mid-week (May 3rd) reservation date. Heck, many of the parks don't even open for reservations until mid-May. The whole point of the rolling 4-month in advance booking policy is to spread out site traffic rather than have one opening date for the whole year that crashes the system. Reservations will still become hard to come by for popular weekend and summer dates but none of those are available to book yet.   

Yep you're right I missed the fact this was limited to the first 120 days; nice to know the government learned a few lessons from last year.

That said not everyone looking for a campsite cares what time of year or month it is, before or after May or otherwise, namely the thousands of fishermen who come to this province for trophy fish. We have camped several times in winter, and on the Campbell River I have seen the same people from the UK, Italy and Germany in some cases more than once. Italians especially love to come to the island and the interior for fly fishing. Given the opportunity that market niche will show up and camp wherever and whenever various fish species are legally in season, regardless what month it is. 

#410 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 03 January 2023 - 12:22 PM

I thought you hardcore fishermen always camped rough down treacherous roads up nearly impassable mountain passes, not at manicured government campgrounds? 🤔

Know it all.

#411 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 03 January 2023 - 05:58 PM

/\ Those (camping) days are quickly receding in the rear view mirror; our group average age is 61 and three of us (out of six) have health challenges that make motels, or at least a well appointed RV, preferable. We camped twice last spring but the other three roadtrips thereafter involved motels. And I never said we camped in the back country I said we fished in the back country. At that at least two of the group will have trouble going forward accessing those more remote ecosystems due to mobility challenges and I'm inevitably headed down that path too.

#412 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 04 January 2023 - 07:06 AM

I get you.

It’s a trip when you get out to Nitinaht and discover there’s a tiny motel in the village. I’ve been going there for 20 years and have never stayed, but I’m sure it’s a sight for sore eyes if someone’s out that way and the rains are unrelenting in the cooler seasons.

Have you guys looked into campers at all? I have this dream in my back pocket of cruising around in the bush in an F450 dually hauling an Arctic Fox. Now that is glamping, and infinitely better for the environment than those protest buses.
  • AllseeingEye likes this

Know it all.

#413 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 04 January 2023 - 07:08 AM

Jesus. It’ll be over 20 years now, as of this year. 🫣

Know it all.

#414 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 04 January 2023 - 07:32 AM

/\ That Nihtnaht motel is definitely a gift from heaven after a few days in the elements for sure; its not fancy but provides a coffee machine, full fridge, microwave and 2-element cooktop and sleeps up to 4 in the largest unit. It was designed to service not only the rec fishing folks like us but also hikers coming off the west coast trail and also transient loggers, and to that end it works well. Its also seasonal naturally so it closes for the winter each October.

There is a tiny but excellent cafe literally right next door owned and run obviously by the FN. Handy tip: the food is excellent and I had one of the very best bacon cheeseburgers ever at that cafe, bar none.

The village of Sayward is another key jump point for us when hitting the back country; if you're up there fishing or hunting or just exploring the high country elements of the island among the Insular Mountains, I can't recommend this place highly enough:

http://saywardvalleyresort.com/

It hit all the must haves including the ability to sleep our entire group in one unit, all 6 of us, had well provisioned outdoor BBQ's if you wanted that option rather than cooking a conventional meal (which you could easily do in the well appointed rooms), and it has the uber cool feature of a very large general store on the main level that stocks everything: need a particular fishing lure? Some WD-40? Pancake mix? German beer in the cooler? No problem, got them all.

Most critically the location is a perfect jumping off point for some of the most remote and best fishing rivers on the island, namely the Salmon, Adam and Eve systems, all of which are within a 40 minute drive or less. Provided of course you know or have done your homework and figured out the secret access points to the rivers themselves off the logging roads... :)

#415 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 04 January 2023 - 07:40 AM

Right, the Sayward motel is a good one. Those bungalows are great.

Last time I was there, I camped on Stewart Lake, past White River Prov Park. I’ve never seen the night sky reflect quite like it did there. And you’re in the vicinity of Victoria and Warden peaks, which for the Island are massive, just a touch below Golden Hinde, believe it or not.
  • AllseeingEye likes this

Know it all.

#416 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 04 January 2023 - 08:18 PM

Our go-to digs these days just south of Campbell River whenever we're fishing the area; a step up from the Nitnaht motel and a nod to aging, creaking and complaining bodies. Its got all the stuff a bunch of old guys would want or need, i.e. comfy beds, wide screen TV's and a surprisingly good breakfast which is included in the cost, and above all its a five minute drive to the primary fishing spots on the river:

https://www.wyndhamh...9&iata=00093796

One point which I was reminded of however - whether you are booking a campsite or a motel - is that its always smarter IMO to go directly to the website of the actual recreational establishment or accommodation for accurate information, especially if you are unfamiliar with it and the amenities offered and other miscellaneous stuff; as opposed to paying much attention to, for example, TripAdvisor and other sites promoting 'first person' observational comments, suggestions or recommendations.

Re: this Ramada location on one such popular third party site, I was most surprised for example to discover according to one clearly impressed poster that its "...right across the street from the Pacific Ocean!!!" Really? Well that would be a surprise...

As would the fact that - apparently - other large urban areas aren't far away should you need specialized products or services hard to come by in a smaller town like CR. Fine and well as far as that goes but reading farther along I was somewhat discombobulated to discover that the primary 'close by' urban area according to that poster is Vancouver....."...conveniently the city just a few short miles down the highway!". Mmm-kay. Maybe. Or maaaaaybe its.........not. Dunno - is it possible for someone to confuse Vancouver with, say, Courtenay? Who knows........  :1954_dancing:

#417 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,852 posts

Posted 10 February 2023 - 04:28 AM

Steve Wallis camps at Jordan River last week:

VIDEO:   https://youtu.be/4bPFnZJgLU4

screenshot-www.youtube.com-2023.02.10-07_28_52.png

screenshot-www.youtube.com-2023.02.10-07_41_37.png

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 10 February 2023 - 04:42 AM.

#418 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,852 posts

Posted 23 February 2023 - 10:19 PM

Highway Scale Stealth Camping (Vancouver Island)

VIDEO:  https://youtu.be/UvNlpeOsCpI

Steve Wallis

I stealth camped at a commercial vehicle inspection station and weigh scale along the side of the highway. There was ample tree cover and plenty of spots to set up camp for the night. The camping was acceptable considering the location. As always it's not quite a camping trip without something going wrong.

#419 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,852 posts

Posted 25 March 2023 - 03:32 AM

River Camping Under Highway Bridge

https://youtu.be/fStFbNPqenU

• todd likes this

#420 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,852 posts

Posted 16 April 2023 - 08:41 AM

Luxury U-Haul Camping w/Steve Wallis

VIDEO:  https://youtu.be/vqU7-ZEbpiE

screenshot-www.youtube.com-2023.04.16-12_41_30.png

Is this Goldstream Park?  I do not know.

https://youtu.be/vqU7-ZEbpiE?t=1284

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 16 April 2023 - 08:46 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users