438 replies to this topic

#421 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 16 April 2023 - 09:16 AM

Yup.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#422 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,604 posts

Posted 18 April 2023 - 08:20 PM

Right, the Sayward motel is a good one. Those bungalows are great.

Last time I was there, I camped on Stewart Lake, past White River Prov Park. I’ve never seen the night sky reflect quite like it did there. And you’re in the vicinity of Victoria and Warden peaks, which for the Island are massive, just a touch below Golden Hinde, believe it or not.

Headed back to our favorite Sayward motel "resort" this weekend for some steelhead fly + gear fishing on the Salmon River near the junction of the White River. For most fishermen steelhead are like unicorns and a fun fact about the Salmon River it is the ecosystem that yields by far the largest steelies of any river on the island. The record was nearly 30 pounds which would literally be the fight of one's fishing life.

http://saywardvalleyresort.com/

Some pals are joining us from Vancouver this time and staying in their RV in the parking lot, heh. As with the rest of the group the days of camping in tents are rapidly drawing to a close. While that is a relief on one hand it's kind of sobering on the other. Hard to beat the fresh air and outdoors atmosphere of tenting with the smell of fir trees and open fires etc. Eventually the brain simply has to defer to the body which increasingly just says "nope!"

• lanforod likes this

#423 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 19 April 2023 - 06:33 AM

You guys have fun out there. It’s a beautiful part of the island.
  • AllseeingEye likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#424 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 19 April 2023 - 08:05 PM

Headed back to our favorite Sayward motel "resort" this weekend for some steelhead fly + gear fishing on the Salmon River near the junction of the White River. For most fishermen steelhead are like unicorns and a fun fact about the Salmon River it is the ecosystem that yields by far the largest steelies of any river on the island. The record was nearly 30 pounds which would literally be the fight of one's fishing life.

http://saywardvalleyresort.com/

Some pals are joining us from Vancouver this time and staying in their RV in the parking lot, heh. As with the rest of the group the days of camping in tents are rapidly drawing to a close. While that is a relief on one hand it's kind of sobering on the other. Hard to beat the fresh air and outdoors atmosphere of tenting with the smell of fir trees and open fires etc. Eventually the brain simply has to defer to the body which increasingly just says "nope!"

My idea of roughing it now is no room service.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#425 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,604 posts

Posted 19 April 2023 - 10:06 PM

/\ .....Fortunately we're generally ok for now, within certain age and health limitations, to experience the more "rustic" aspects of backwoods fishing/camping, although I can foresee the end of that road coming up. Fortunately our group is very experienced camping in often *very* basic camping situations especially once you get to the back country beyond Strathcona, out towards Tahsis or up into the Insular mountains north of Sayward.

One of our favorite areas is the Conuma River almost at the very end of what passes for a road between Gold River and Tahsis; it features remote, almost primitive camping conditions - meaning camping spaces that are provided and exist but are not actively maintained by anyone including the province - but superb country and obviously great fishing, especially if you know when to go and where to look. The guys would kill me if they knew I even mentioned the name of the river here, lol. Only hard core fisherman and campers are generally aware of it.

Once there however you have to be comfortable in those surroundings because you are humping in all of your camping and fishing gear, your food, water, emergency provisions and supplies, first aid kits (multiple kits - we all carry our own to ensure lots of supplies), night lights, logging road and topographical maps etc., so you need to be everything from an electrician to a cartographer to a back woods Paul Bunyan in terms of navigating and getting to and setting up your campsite including starting a fire - we also carry multiple flints and other fire starter gear to ensure we get one going because fire is your number one priority after setting up your tent; ditto for bear spray. We all carry at least two canisters of the stuff for obvious reasons. And we know how to use them, unlike the poor guy we saw once on a trip to the Athabasca River in the Rockies, who pulled the spray off his belt to test it and proceeded to spray himself. That I can assure you was a most unhappy and painful experience!

You need to have good knowledge of your boy scout knot tying skills or, if not, at least have on hand and be able to zap strap multiple tarps together and tie them off onto trees and/or the tree canopy to provide shelter against rain; food prep and cooking and proper waste disposal (bears LOVE camping food left-overs!), repairing any and all gear as necessary, troubleshooting an issue with your vehicle....the lot, because the cavalry isn't just over the horizon waiting to come save you in those conditions. For the most part there is no cell service so even if they were you couldn't contact them so you're on your own for the most part.

That all said between mobility issues for about half the group, one guy who only has one kidney, my arthritic knees, and another guy who has had not one but two heart stent procedures, we know we're just about at the end of the line in terms of that kind of fishing adventure. The next logical move is to head out in an RV which is a good and smart compromise I think.

#426 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 20 April 2023 - 08:18 PM

Good luck carrying on camping for as long as you can, whatever you enjoy is important.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#427 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,032 posts

Posted 20 May 2023 - 09:25 AM

The WCT is a 75 kilometre trail on Vancouver Island that traverses through remote, pristine beaches and coastal old-growth forest. It draws hikers from all corners of the globe who want to experience its incredible beauty and are willing to take on a challenge. This backcountry trek is a mud-logged obstacle course and includes dozens of old wooden ladders. Hikers must carefully pack a week of provisions — usually weighing an average of 40 pounds — to fully self-sustain themselves without the luxuries of running water and shelter.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...est-coast-trail

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 May 2023 - 09:26 AM.

#428 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 18 June 2023 - 04:44 AM

We recently had a chance to do a little "Glamping" up at Qualicum First Nations Campground at Qualicum Bay.

First time there, nice spot...right on the ocean's edge.

QB1.jpg

Not very busy.

QB2.jpg

• lanforod likes this

#429 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 18 June 2023 - 06:02 AM

It’s a nice spot. Didn’t look too busy.

How was the weather?

Know it all.

#430 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 18 June 2023 - 06:11 AM

^ Windy on Tuesday, glorious on Wednesday.
  • Mike K. likes this

#431 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,032 posts

Posted 22 June 2023 - 10:52 AM

An airline lost his gear, dashing his dream of hiking the West Coast Trail. Then strangers stepped in to help

https://www.cbc.ca/n...-gear-1.6884633

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 June 2023 - 10:54 AM.

#432 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,604 posts

Posted 22 June 2023 - 12:48 PM

Did you happen to toss lines and fish up near the hatchery or at Nile Creek Sparky? I know you can't fish the section of the Qualicum river running through the reserve.

#433 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 23 June 2023 - 05:51 AM

No, I didn't. Next time I will bone up on the local skinny and renew my fresh water license. 

#434 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,032 posts

Posted 21 January 2024 - 05:34 AM

Steve Wallis camps in Campbell River a few days ago:

To make camping life easier on the road I've set up my car to have a half bunk in the back with a small table (shoe organizing rack) to use as a desk and table to put my laptop on. I have a 100 amp hour lithium iron phosphate battery to provide me with enough power to run a coffee maker and lighting. My bed is leveled out with some pine boards and shims so I can sleep level. The whole camping setup can be removed in minutes to return the car to normal.

VIDEO:

https://youtu.be/rm6...tJLQGKz4AP02-4o

• Matt R. likes this

#435 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 22 January 2024 - 09:06 AM

I met him a year ago. Great guy. Not sure if I told you guys that story or not.

Know it all.

#436 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,041 posts

Posted 22 January 2024 - 11:52 AM

You did, but let’s hear it again.
  • Mike K. and Victoria Watcher like this

#437 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 22 January 2024 - 03:41 PM

Ok, grab a chair. I’ll wait.

Know it all.

#438 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,041 posts

Posted 22 January 2024 - 06:19 PM

Ok I’m in a chair.
  • JuicyJustice likes this

#439 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,032 posts

Posted 04 February 2024 - 05:18 AM

934614_24.jpg

$899,000

Escape to your private and secluded 147.7-acre property on Vancouver Island's Koksilah River. With 3,200 ft of river frontage, this property offers outdoor enthusiasts access to hiking, fishing, quadding, and hunting. Just 30 mins from Shawnigan Lake, it's the perfect place to build an off-the-grid cabin and enjoy the serenity of nature. The Koksilah Rivers goes through the middle of the property with forest service access to either side, contact listing agent prior to viewing as they are gated active haul roads. The south side of the property has been recently logged with an internal access road put in down close to the river. The North side has some merchantable Fir and Cedar. Zoning permits primary and secondary residence. Don't miss out on this opportunity to own a truly remarkable piece of Vancouver Island. Whether you seek a rustic retreat or a long-term sanctuary, this property offers limitless potential. Call to arrange your viewing today!

https://www.realtor....-lake-shawnigan

934614_11.jpg

934614_20.jpg

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 February 2024 - 05:21 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users