APPROVED
Roundhouse Marketplace
Use: commercial
Address: Esquimalt Road at Sitkum Road
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 1
Roundhouse Marketplace is the first phase of Bayview Place's Roundhouse neighbourhood. Comprised of commercial... (view full profile)
Learn more about Roundhouse Marketplace on Citified.ca
Photo

[Vic West] Roundhouse at Bayview Place | Condos; rentals; hotel; commercial | 2008 plan approved | 2020 plan proposed

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
1035 replies to this topic

#81 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 July 2008 - 09:04 AM

what's happening with the heritage buildings on this site?
i know they are remaining but what are they going to be used for?
i'd hope they will be redone and house a variety of things, retail, artist studios gallerys, office, some light industrial (custom furniture) etc, but in all likelihood im guessing that council decided a great use would be for community uses like halls, seniors centres etc that just do nothing to an area
hopefully im wrong though, i have no idea so if someone could let me k now that'd be great.
also, i agree there is too much green space in the area with the water front and just down the road, but hopefully that extra space is being saved for light rail! or something of the sort

Retail (resturant, market, cafe, etc) and some community use will be placed into the heritage buildings, but a small part of it will be retained for rail maintence (1 stall). The site will retain its rail theme with several murals, displays (like models, pictures and rail cars, which would be rotated every few weeks or so). There is also the possibility that the old sand towe and water tower will be rebuilt on site.

The tracks going thru the site to downtown will be retained for future commuter rail use. The developers have also offered to put a station in the site, should that be the terminus, but that is unlikely as I get the feeling that downtown will remain the permanent terminus, with the possibility of extending the tracks to Centennial Square.

Here are some links of what it will look like

http://roundhousevic...com/gallery.htm

http://roundhousevic...se_proposal.pdf

#82 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 01:27 PM

Its a nice fantasy, but given the current state of Phase 1 and the lack of sales, it might be another 30 years before the site looks like the pictures.

Oh, and of course Ken Mariash is known to keep his promises (excuse me while I laugh). He had to exit Calgary many years ago for reasons I won't get into.

#83 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 01:31 PM

Its a nice fantasy, but given the current state of Phase 1 and the lack of sales, it might be another 30 years before the site looks like the pictures.

Oh, and of course Ken Mariash is known to keep his promises (excuse me while I laugh). He had to exit Calgary many years ago for reasons I won't get into.

Exactly.

#84 Koru

Koru
  • 715 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 10:35 PM

many years ago? I thought Mariash just recently got out of Calgary with the sale of the Deerfoot Meadows property in Feb of this year to Ivanhoe Cambridge, while retaining ownership of the bluffs land?...whats the deal with this guy?

#85 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 09:02 AM

I had no idea Roberts House & Orchard House were that tall...

You mean you never noticed them looming over everything? The city is cast into perpetual shadow because of them.

Didn't council also approve the heights for the Hudson's towers? I forgot about that.

#86 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 09:17 AM

So is it a fantasy or will it just take a long time? I hope nobody was thinking all of these new buildings would go up overnight. We need only look to the Songhees or the Selkirk to get an idea of the sort of timeline we can expect. Highrise towers were first approved for the Y-lot back in the spring of 1994.

#87 baconnbits

baconnbits
  • 235 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 08:24 PM

for reasons you wont get into or reasons you dont know about?
my understanding is that he was fairly well regarded in alberta, even being honoured by Ralph Klein at one point for his contributions

are the sales at bayview not going well, there seems to be a lot of reference to that, but i haven't heard any specifics
i know obviously dockside and several other projects are slowing. is it a similar story with bayview?

#88 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 July 2008 - 09:42 PM

unfortunately the roundhouse and related buildings dont have another 30 years in their current state.

#89 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 July 2008 - 09:43 PM

So is it a fantasy or will it just take a long time? I hope nobody was thinking all of these new buildings would go up overnight. We need only look to the Songhees or the Selkirk to get an idea of the sort of timeline we can expect. Highrise towers were first approved for the Y-lot back in the spring of 1994.

My understanding of the roundhouse project is that it will take 10 years to complete.

#90 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 10:37 PM

One of the more attractive parts of the agreement was that they deal with the heritage preservation aspects first.

#91 Rorschach

Rorschach

Truth is my bitch!

• 758 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 07:50 AM

are the sales at bayview not going well, there seems to be a lot of reference to that, but i haven't heard any specifics
i know obviously dockside and several other projects are slowing. is it a similar story with bayview?

I've looked at the models and the Bayview has some beautiful condos but the price is just too much. Who is going to spend $600,000 on a <1000 sq ft one bedroom condo? It looks like the place will have good views since you can see Bayview from every nice spot in Victoria. I'd sure love that southeast facing penthouse, but who is going to drop a couple of million on it?

I saw a few homeless encampments in the area right in front of the place, so that's going to be a deal breaker for anyone willing to drop that kind of money too.

#92 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 08:09 AM

Some of the most expensive units have already sold.

#93 Koru

Koru
  • 715 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 11:38 AM

for reasons you wont get into or reasons you dont know about?
my understanding is that he was fairly well regarded in alberta, even being honoured by Ralph Klein at one point for his contributions

I really have to echo you're comment/question about Ken Mariash...to my understanding (and not talking out of my arse I've been doing some research) Mr . Mariash seems to be highly regarded across the board, especially in Alberta, being lauded for visionary with the creation of Deerfoot Meadows as a premiere shopping destination and I can confirm Heritage Partners (which is one of his companies) only recently sold to Ivanhoe Cambridge in February of this year ( I understand he also has a project of some sort going on in Edmonton, his exact involvement or project I haven't been able to confirm yet), as I earlier stated he has retained the residential development portion of the lands. On top of that, as part of Bayview he has created a 1.8 acre park for Vicwest as well as donating $75 000 a year for 5 years to the Victoria Symphony Splash (yes it is advertising for himself) but at the same time I can't say I've seen any other developers in Victoria doing this? -

Concorde...perhaps in light of the positives that Mr. Mariash has given us to dwell on at this point you could indulge us with what you mean by being run out of Alberta and unable to keep his word?

#94 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 01:34 PM

My understanding of the roundhouse project is that it will take 10 years to complete.

There you go. So we're looking at 2019 if things go as planned?

#95 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 06:00 PM

Mr Mariash is known to screw over a lot of people. I have spoken to several executives of Canada's top 10 general contractors and many won't do business with him due to his business ethics.

People receive awards from government all the time, but that doesn't mean they are well liked. Bob Wright of Victoria received several awards last year including a top award from the Victoria Chamber of Commerce. He also gave over $10 million to UVic last year. All that doesn't mean he is well liked. People with money always have "friends".

#96 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 July 2008 - 06:57 PM

One of the more attractive parts of the agreement was that they deal with the heritage preservation aspects first.

As a member and a director in the rail historical group is working with the developer, that is very good news. These buildings need a lot of attention.

I dont know Mr Mariash personally, but I did meet him and he seems like a very nice guy and apparently he is a train buff.

Roundhouse Properties has been very supportive of E&N Days and our efforts to retain the rail theme of the site.

#97 Rorschach

Rorschach

Truth is my bitch!

• 758 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 07:56 AM

Why doesn't the existing train leave from downtown but go to Langford, then go back to Victoria, and then leave again on its regular daily trip all the way to Courtney? Seems like a schedule could be worked out to take people from Victoria to work in the West Shore and then bring in the people who live in West Shore but work downtown. It might cut some of the commute for some people. That Colwood crawl is a killer. A small change like this might make the train more useful and not add too much expense to its daily operation costs.

Even if they used two trains to get the timings right, they have the track switches in place to move commuters in each direction. Just seems so simple there must be a reason it has not happened yet.

#98 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 09:36 AM

^ You're crazy!

#99 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 31 July 2008 - 06:14 PM

Why doesn't the existing train leave from downtown but go to Langford, then go back to Victoria, and then leave again on its regular daily trip all the way to Courtney? Seems like a schedule could be worked out to take people from Victoria to work in the West Shore and then bring in the people who live in West Shore but work downtown. It might cut some of the commute for some people. That Colwood crawl is a killer. A small change like this might make the train more useful and not add too much expense to its daily operation costs.

Even if they used two trains to get the timings right, they have the track switches in place to move commuters in each direction. Just seems so simple there must be a reason it has not happened yet.

Trust me when I say that this has been talked about. In fact many of the responses BC Transit got in regards to the busway were why isnt the E&N being used for commuters?

The biggest stumbling block is the provincial government. Everyone is on board for commuter rail (BC Transit is on the Communities for Commuter Rail group), including the FEDs, but Falcon wants to see a business plan. So until Falcon accepts a business plan from the ICF to fund the upgrades to the E&N, dont except to any commuter rail of any kind.

#100 Guest_Marcat_*

Guest_Marcat_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2008 - 09:28 AM

I can't really say I'm HOLDING my breath...but perhaps this could be good news, Ken Mariash, is obviously somewhat serious about the longetevity of the project, by putting money into the physical side of the project.

DEVELOPER SAYS REPAIRS TO E&N ROUNDHOUSE CANNOT WAIT
Nov 26, 2008

THE OWNER OF THE HISTORIC E&N RAIL ROUNDHOUSE SAYS HE'S GOING TO HAVE TO SPEND SEVERAL HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS ON REHABILITATION OF THE BUILDING.

KEN MARIASH'S COMPANY, BAYVIEW PROPERTIES, IS IN THE EARLY DESIGN PHASE NOW OF A LONG TERM REDEVELOPMENT OF THE SITE, THAT WILL PRESERVE THE HERITAGE BUILDING AS PART OF A NEW RESIDENTIAL; COMMERCIAL; AND COMMUNITY CENTRE.

BUT, HE SAYS, THERE ARE URGENT REPAIRS REQUIRED THAT WILL NOT WAIT, IN ORDER TO PRESERVE THE ROUNDHOUSE.

MARIASH SAYS HE'LL BE ASKING CITY HALL FOR A BUILDING PERMIT TO PROCEED WITH THOSE REPAIRS WITHIN THE NEXT SEVERAL DAYS.

HE SAYS HIS LONG-TERM PLANS FOR THE SITE ARE PROCEEDING DESPITE THE ECONOMIC SLOWDOWN THAT HAS CAUSED SEVERAL OTHER LARGE REAL ESTATE PROJECTS TO BE SHELVED.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users