APPROVED
Roundhouse Marketplace
Use: commercial
Address: Esquimalt Road at Sitkum Road
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 1
Roundhouse Marketplace is the first phase of Bayview Place's Roundhouse neighbourhood. Comprised of commercial... (view full profile)
Learn more about Roundhouse Marketplace on Citified.ca
Photo

[Vic West] Roundhouse at Bayview Place | Condos; rentals; hotel; commercial | 2008 plan approved | 2020 plan proposed

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
1037 replies to this topic

#141 baconnbits

baconnbits
  • 235 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 04:14 PM

Robert Bosa is the founder of bosa properties. colin is robert's son and is now the head of the company

Robert's brother Nat, owns bosa developments which is the company that builds in california as well as a bit in vancouver, but their focus is california.

they are completely seperate companies. the only relationship is that the founders are brothers. they don't do developments together and don't have any investment/cross ownership in one another.

#142 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,679 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 04:19 PM

So which company built The Manhattan?

The use of the Bosa name for both companies is silly, btw.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#143 baconnbits

baconnbits
  • 235 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 06:13 PM

Bosa properties built the manhattan.

definitely a bit confusing!

#144 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 07:57 AM

Robert Bosa is the founder of bosa properties. colin is robert's son and is now the head of the company

Robert's brother Nat, owns bosa developments which is the company that builds in california as well as a bit in vancouver, but their focus is california.

they are completely seperate companies. the only relationship is that the founders are brothers. they don't do developments together and don't have any investment/cross ownership in one another.

Don't forget Embassay Developments owned by Ryan Bosa which if I remember correctly is Robert's son

#145 aastra

aastra
  • 20,803 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 06:44 PM

So the whole thing is called Bayview Place now?
http://focusequities.../bayview-place/

Image:
http://focusequities...ace_render3.jpg

#146 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 September 2011 - 07:23 PM

I just hope that this new development doesnt screw any chance of preserving the rail corridor. I was assured by the City that the corridor is protected. But by looking at the renderings, all I see is either a bike path or a road and no rail.

#147 aastra

aastra
  • 20,803 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 07:34 PM

It looks likes the tracks will terminate at the roundhouse.

#148 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 07:36 PM

^? Isn't the grey thing the railroad track?

http://focusequities...vp_siteplan.jpg

#149 aastra

aastra
  • 20,803 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 07:41 PM

You know, it's difficult to tell. There's a car on it at the right side of this image:
http://focusequities...ace_render3.jpg

Is it just me or is there also something like a tram stop/large covered bus stop along that route?

I suppose a new road could make some sense over by the roundhouse, but it would sure make for an awkward junction at Esquimalt Road.

But a new road makes no sense if it parallels the existing road below the Bayview property.

But one could argue that it also doesn't make much sense to build a retirement residence right beside train tracks.

#150 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 07:45 PM

^ yeah, I saw that car - I'm guessing its just a mistake.

#151 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,156 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:26 PM

But one could argue that it also doesn't make much sense to build a retirement residence right beside train tracks.

Why?

#152 aastra

aastra
  • 20,803 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 09:04 PM

I have to substantiate that? Really? Okay, I'll do it in the form of a short radio play:

Abe: I am very well pleased with this spiffing retirement residence, into which I have just now moved.

(sound of train going by)

Abe: What the...?!? That sounded like a train going by, right outside my window. (thinks for a moment) But surely that isn't possible. Surely it would be regarded as unlawful and immoral in this jurisdiction to allow a train to run in close proximity to such a spiffing retirement residence? Especially since this particular spiffing retirement residence is one into which I have just now moved?

Jasper: A cup of coffee at the marina will take your mind off that.

I just hope they aren't thinking of facing that retirement residence building away from the tracks.

#153 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 10:08 PM

aastra, where would the train be going?

#154 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,156 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 05:00 AM

^^ Dylan touched on my line of thinking, that this project will be built at the end of the line (as opposed to the train going across the bridge) so in my mind the train coming and going would be but an interesting distraction. I get your point though, thank you.

Noise and discomfort though are at times in the eye of the beholder. I will give you another radio show that you might not have thought about.

Bert: Hey Ernie, I hear you bought a new retirement home on the golf course...that must be fantastic?

Ernie: No, it's not. I am selling it.

Bert: Why? It sounds perfect....and you love golf.

Ernie: Golf I love, the golf course....not so much. Lawn mowers going at 6:00 AM, swearing all day, and sprinklers going all night.

Bert: What's with the hard hat?

#155 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,679 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 06:35 AM

You can see what appears to be a train engine on the first page of the PDF. It's right below where it says "Roundhouse Retail Precinct."

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#156 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 06:48 AM

What's the fuss? It's not going to be a steam driven freight train. At most it will be the return of the Budd cars and perhaps electric driven cars somewhere in the future.

It will be a huge mistake to give up the rail right-of way through the area, and the bigger mistake to not provide for rail over the new bridge to connect with any LRT that is coming into town from the north. The route through Esquimalt could be part of an LRT "loop".

I would hope the developers in the Songhees would be on board to see the rail corridor preserved.

#157 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,679 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 07:01 AM

If they are required to preserve the rail, they will. There's no indication whatsoever that rail won't be preserved but it's usefulness through the entire property is at the mercy of City Hall and what happens with the crossing into downtown. We can't fault the developer for accommodating terminus facilities on his property if that's where the train will terminate.

Know it all.

#158 aastra

aastra
  • 20,803 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 07:33 AM

...where would the train be going?

For an answer to that you'd need to ask the folks who prepared those images. Although methinks it's possible that they don't even know at this point. We're just reviewing their images and wondering if the grey route represents a road or a cycling path or train tracks or some combination thereof.

What's the fuss? It's not going to be a steam driven freight train.

No kidding. But the actual disturbance that the controversial item produces never seems to have much relevance re: the scale of the controversy.

We can't fault the developer for accommodating terminus facilities on his property if that's where the train will terminate.

Correct. If the tracks get cut then the roundhouse is the logical place to terminate the line. But nobody ever blames the city for the city's decisions. It's always some evil developer's fault.

#159 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,679 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 10:34 AM

I had a chance to check out a high resolution poster image at the of the train tracks/road in question at the sales centre (I couldn't ask any questions as the centre was closed until noon), and what I saw were two sets of tracks running across the property much like is the situation today (there are two sets of tracks along Kimta, although only one was use by the E&N train). It also looked like an additional set of tracks will veer from the main track and run along Esquimalt Road to what could be a maintenance or loading zone.

Know it all.

#160 jpmandy

jpmandy
  • 15 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:05 AM

I've noticed some work going on at the roundhouse. Anyone know if this is the beginning of construction?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users