Posted 23 February 2024 - 08:24 AM

We're old.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#2983 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,644 posts

Posted 23 February 2024 - 01:54 PM

I’m not as ancient as either of you but have older sisters, these are all burned into my brain.

Got my presale code for the pearl jam concert at Rogers on May 6th. Tickets in the middle of section 111 are $650 each, lol. Hard pass.
  • Victoria Watcher and JuicyJustice like this

#2984 Nparker

Nparker
  • 42,018 posts

Posted 23 February 2024 - 02:18 PM

...Got my presale code for the pearl jam concert at Rogers on May 6th. Tickets in the middle of section 111 are $650 each, lol. Hard pass.

You'd have to pay me a lot more than $650 to attend a Pearl Jam concert.

• Matt R. likes this

#2985 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,644 posts

Posted 23 February 2024 - 04:37 PM

Great performers, long time fan but yeah I've seen them a few times before.  No thanks. I'd go if it was $150.

#2986 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 85,012 posts

Posted 23 February 2024 - 09:07 PM

Who here knows which of those songs in the top 10 is in fact a cover song?

Don’t look it up. Don’t cheat.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2987 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 55,545 posts

Posted 23 February 2024 - 09:26 PM

I'd guess just the Cyndi Lauper one.  The chart does list the producer (in brackets) and the credited songwriters for each.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 February 2024 - 09:28 PM.

#2988 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 85,012 posts

Posted 23 February 2024 - 09:49 PM

Correct! It’s a cover.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2989 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 55,545 posts

Posted 25 February 2024 - 08:45 AM

screenshot-twitter.com-2024.02.25-11_44_01.png

#2990 Nparker

Nparker
  • 42,018 posts

Posted 25 February 2024 - 08:52 AM

Definitely a landmark album of the 80s. I'm not sure I'd call it the greatest "in the history of everything though". 

#2991 LJ

LJ
  • 13,003 posts

Posted 25 February 2024 - 07:31 PM

Never heard of them, but then are lots of singers/actors that I have never heard of.

In the paper everyday they have a list of "celebrity" birthdays for that day, I'm lucky if I know one in ten.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#2992 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 16,364 posts

Posted 25 February 2024 - 07:42 PM

I see Big Sugar is touring the 500lbs album, on the heels of Jack White saying it’s the “best blues album to come out of Canada”. 30th anniversary.

Wicket Hall, April 21.

Decent album but he is dead wrong.

#2993 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 16,364 posts

Posted 25 February 2024 - 07:42 PM

Oh “blues” never mind….
  • Matt R. likes this

#2994 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 55,545 posts

Posted 28 February 2024 - 05:04 AM

screenshot-twitter.com-2024.02.28-08_03_31.png

#2995 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 55,545 posts

Posted 28 February 2024 - 05:05 AM

Never heard of them, but then are lots of singers/actors that I have never heard of.

You've never heard of Tears For Fears?    Wow.

#2996 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 55,545 posts

Posted 28 February 2024 - 05:50 AM

screenshot-twitter.com-2024.02.28-08_50_14.png

• Nparker likes this

#2997 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,895 posts
  • LocationEsquimalt

Posted 28 February 2024 - 03:54 PM

I literally know every one of those songs and can sing at least part of each from memory. This was my era. Youth really is wasted on the young.

An interesting time for sure; as of the mid-70's I was heavily into FM and rarely listened to AM where there was entirely too much gooey sappy schlock for my taste. Don't recall that Lennon tune which was obviously released posthumously, he having been dead for nearly four years by that time. I feel for anyone of the era who never saw Yes in their prime, an altogether otherworldly concert experience especially when Rick Wakeman was part of the group. 

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#2998 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 55,545 posts

Posted 03 March 2024 - 05:50 AM

Eleanor Balkcom studied international business and learned Korean in college, although she admits she isn't fluent. Lily Balkcom learned to pilot airplanes and Powell Balkcom dreamed of going into agriculture. She was headed back to college to get her master's degree.

Then social media took over. About one year after the sisters made their first trip to Nashville, the trio known as The Castellows is releasing its debut EP on Warner Music Nashville and Warner Records. "A Little Goes A Long Way" is seven songs deep and will be available Friday. The sister trio will launch their accompanying tour of ballrooms, beer joints and music halls on February 17. None of them are old enough to drink. Ellie and Powell, both 20 years old, are two of three triplets, but their brother isn't part of the act. The group's baby, Lily, came along about 18 months later.

They played original live music for the first time in November of 2022.

"Grateful and humbled are the two things we probably say the most whenever we're talking about this stuff," Eleanor said. "We love writing songs, and we love playing music together."

The harmony-rich, neo-traditional music for which they're known is keeping them close. The sisters, part of CMT's 2024 Next Women of Country, agree on most things and explain that everyone moves in different directions when siblings go to college. For them, the trio's popularity means they get to live together in a Music City – which the sisters enjoy. They were homeschooled in their Georgia home and never got used to spending much time apart.

https://www.cmt.com/...gs-in-15-months

They opened for Luke Combs at the Ryman (Nashville) a few days ago.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 March 2024 - 06:09 AM.

#2999 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 55,545 posts

Posted 03 March 2024 - 06:25 AM

Here is the thing that gets me, it's so fake.

Lily and a friend were in a deer stand in December of 2022, about one month after the Georgia Theater show. Her friend told her that she and her sisters should post videos of them singing on social media.

"He said, 'I think people would like it, and I think it would do really well,'" Lily recalled. "I was like, 'Are you sure you're not lying to me?' That was over Christmas break. We posted them, and for some reason, all the videos did really well."

The viral success of The Castellows' videos created interest in the country music industry, and the women made their first trip to Nashville a couple of weeks after Lily's conversation in the deer stand.

The sisters connected with Make Wake Artists, who also manage Luke Combs, and inked a record deal with Warner Music Nashville and Warner Records.

"The Castellows popped up on our radar a little over a year ago, and we didn't hesitate to reach out," said Stephanie Wright, SVP of A&R at Warner Music Nashville. "Within minutes of meeting them, it was abundantly clear they were special.   In addition to their dynamic family harmonies, the Castellows have so many unique individual talents. Their charisma, stellar work ethic and musical talent is infectious, and we are more than excited to get their music out to the world."

Is nobody actually willing to admit at least part (and likely a LOT) of their success is based on their looks?  Why can't we just we say that?  From Beyonce* to J-Lo to Rihanna to Ricky Martin or Adam Levine, it's all part of the act.  Why can we not admit that?

* there is a reason she is no longer in Destiny's Child.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 March 2024 - 06:31 AM.

#3000 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 55,545 posts

Posted 04 March 2024 - 11:41 PM

Music producer Rodney “Lil Rod” Jones is accusing Sean “Diddy” Combs and his son of a “massive” cover-up of their involvement in a 2022 shooting, according to an amended complaint. The new allegations add to Jones’ original lawsuit, in which he accuses Diddy of sexual assault and harassment.

In new filings, Lil Rod claimed that Diddy or his son Justin shot Justin’s friend, identified in the complaint as a 30-year-old named G, in the abdomen and near his leg or hip area in a bathroom at Chalice Recording Studio in Los Angeles in September 2022. He claims that G has since disappeared.

The complaint, which included pictures purported to show a bloodied bathroom, said the shooting followed an argument involving Diddy, Justin and G during a “writers and producers camp” at the studio. The three moved to a nearby bathroom just 2 feet away from Lil Rod when multiple shots were fired, at which point the producer feared being shot through the door, according to the complaint. It then added that Diddy and Justin left the bathroom while G remained on the floor and that multiple people then crowded around the door.

https://www.yahoo.co...-015525624.html

On one occasion, Jones alleges, Combs forced him to watch as he displayed guns and bragged about getting away with shooting people. In a separate incident, Jones alleges, Combs shared that he was responsible for a shooting in a nightclub in New York City in 1999 with the rapper Shyne, born Jamal Barrow. A jury acquitted Combs of gun possession and bribery charges in connection with that incident, while Barrow was sentenced to 10 years in jail. Jones was terrified of Combs and felt he could not tell him no, according to the suit.

“Mr. Combs consistently made it clear that he has immense power in the music industry and with law enforcement,” the lawsuit says.

Jones says in the lawsuit that he has video and audio evidence to support some of the allegations. The lawsuit says that Combs required Jones to “record him constantly” and that on several occasions, Combs took Jones’ cellphone to record himself. As a result, Jones alleges, he has hundreds of hours of video and audio records of Combs, his staff and his guests “engaging in serious illegal activity.”

Jones says in the suit that he believes Combs also drugged him on Feb. 2, 2023. He alleges he woke up naked, dizzy and confused in bed with Combs and two sex workers.

In response to a request for comment, Jones’ attorney, Tyrone Blackburn, used a Latin phrase, “res ipsa loquitur,” which loosely translates as “the thing speaks for itself,” referring to the lawsuit.

Jones says in the suit that he was “under an implied work-for-hire agreement” and was not compensated for the songs he produced on “The Love Album.” As a result, the lawsuit says, Combs, Love Records, Motown Records and Universal Music Group were all unjustly enriched at his expense. The labels did not immediately respond to requests for comment. 

Combs has been sued by four women who have accused him of sexual assault. Cassie, whose legal name is Casandra Ventura, said Combs physically abused her and forced her to have sex with male prostitutes while he masturbated and recorded the encounters. The lawsuit was settled the day after it was filed. The settlement was “in no way an admission of wrongdoing,” Combs’ lawyer, Ben Brafman, has said.

Following Cassie’s lawsuit, two other women, Liza Gardner and Joie Dickerson-Neal, have alleged in lawsuits that Combs sexually assaulted them. And a woman identified as Jane Doe in court documents said Combs and two other men gang-raped her when she was 17 and Combs was 34. 

Those three cases against Combs are still pending. In a statement in December, he denied the allegations, saying “enough is enough,” and called the claims against him “sickening.” 

“Let me be absolutely clear: I did not do any of the awful things being alleged. I will fight for my name, my family and for the truth,” he said in the statement.

The mounting allegations stand to harm Combs’ legacy and business empire. After Ventura filed her suit, three of Combs’ former artists expressed support for her. The same month, Combs stepped down as the chairman of Revolt TV. In December, Hulu scrapped a reality television show that was to have followed his family. And in January, Combs withdrew his lawsuit against Diageo as part of a settlement with the London-based spirits giant, which he had accused of racism.

https://www.nbcnews....-alb-rcna140585

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 March 2024 - 11:50 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users