Posted 20 March 2024 - 11:54 AM

Nothing wrong with that!
  • Nparker likes this

#3022 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 20 March 2024 - 02:56 PM

Assuming you were there as a LZ fan and for a unique but highly entertaining twist on the "hammer of the God's" catalogue, check out Dread Zeppelin if you ever get the chance. They've been around for over 35 years and have a cult-like following; their twist are frequent LZ covers "reggae style" - but as sung by an Elvis impersonator. Saw them years ago variously in Vancouver, Calgary and Portland, all SRO shows. Sounds cheesy, and much of the act is tongue-in-cheek, but they pulled it off amazingly well.

Hmmmm, interesting.

I guess if it works, it works!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3023 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 21 March 2024 - 12:00 AM

You’ve never heard of Dread Zep?

The boss man is at GWAR tonight in Vancouver, he sent me a few videos and it looks just like it should. I hope the Vogue put down some tarps first.
  • AllseeingEye likes this

#3024 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 21 March 2024 - 05:37 AM

Or boss man.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3025 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,614 posts

Posted 21 March 2024 - 06:43 AM

Early 90's, 86th Street nightclub watching the "Dread" live in support of their first release "Un-Led-Ed" with frontman "TorteElvis" (reference to the fact the man was not small, a la the real Elvis), is a memory not to mention several images that will stick with me until I kick.

Only one guy was actually of 'Caribe' origin, that being "Ed Zeppelin" aka Rasta Mon, who was from Jamaica. Then there was Jah Paul Jo who as I recall was a blonde, solo-happy guitarist who played wickedly in his underwear and even occasionally playing several well known LZ solo riffs - backstage.

Back then the band was actually very tight musically, despite the schtick which included a very funny but uber-cool rasta-infused "Immigrant Song" then straight into "Black Dog" - with an Elvis-esque "Hound Dog" interlude; and later they performed outstanding versions of "Heartbreaker" and "Stairway to Heaven", eventually ending with their version of Sinatra's "My Way". By the end of the show you ask yourself what the hell it was you just saw but also realize you had a damn good time while riding whatever train it was you just hopped off of....

#3026 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 21 March 2024 - 06:50 AM

Now that’s what I call being off your square!

Know it all.

#3027 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,614 posts

Posted 21 March 2024 - 08:26 AM

Are you kidding? You see us at the 'social board' get togethers after the reguar meetings......

• Mike K. likes this

#3028 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 21 March 2024 - 12:00 PM

Or boss man.

Hey I’m just the owner… :banana:
  • Mike K. likes this

#3029 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 21 March 2024 - 12:50 PM

Are you kidding? You see us at the 'social board' get togethers after the reguar meetings......

The ones with or without Fixodent? :banana:

Know it all.

#3030 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,070 posts

Posted 25 March 2024 - 06:34 AM

SUM 41

ANNOUNCE OFFICIAL CANADIAN LEG OF FINAL WORLD TOUR
‘TOUR OF THE SETTING SUM’

SAVE-ON-FOODS MEMORIAL CENTRE
VICTORIA, BC
FRIDAY, JANUARY 10, 2025

TICKETS ON SALE MARCH 28 AT 10AM LOCAL
With Special Guests PUP and Gob

#3031 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 25 March 2024 - 07:04 AM

See. It’s all old stuff.

Nobody new can sell out arenas in Victoria.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#3032 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 25 March 2024 - 10:57 AM

See. It’s all old stuff.

Nobody new can sell out arenas in Victoria.

Lemme fix that for you: nobody new wants to come because they'd leave money on the table due to small arena sizes. 

Why would Taylor Swift come here for a 6k size arena when she'll sell that out in 10 seconds?

• Matt R. likes this

#3033 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 25 March 2024 - 02:24 PM

Ok, I’m not talking about pop star sensations that play in 50,000 seat venues.

But to be fair, Taylor Swift didn’t even want to come to Canada, until the PM pleaded with the production crew to give us a glance.

Where are modern bands that sell out 7,000 seat arenas? 20 years ago we had a plethora of Canadian bands and American bands that would tour all sizes of venues.

Know it all.

#3034 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,070 posts

Posted 25 March 2024 - 02:26 PM

But to be fair, Taylor Swift didn’t even want to come to Canada, until the PM pleaded with the production crew to give us a glance.

That had nothing to do with it.  She goes where it makes economic sense.   And where she can sell out multiple nights.

Here is her tour:

https://en.wikipedia...Tour#Tour_dates

Toronto is tied with Singapore and LA for the only places in the world with 6 consecutive nights (and Singpore paid her extra cash to be the Asia exclusive).  Vancouver has 3.   She will do 8 London, UK shows, in 5 and 3 night sets separated by other international dates.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 March 2024 - 02:34 PM.

#3035 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,070 posts

Posted 25 March 2024 - 02:45 PM

Sean Combs' Los Angeles home was raided Monday by Homeland Security officials, Fox News Digital confirmed. Agents were also seen at his home in Miami.

"Earlier today, Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) New York executed law enforcement actions as part of an ongoing investigation, with assistance from HSI Los Angeles, HSI Miami, and our local law enforcement partners," Homeland Security Investigations said in a statement.

"We will provide further information as it becomes available."

A U.S. official confirmed to Fox News that the raids on Diddy's homes are connected to a federal human trafficking investigation. It's unclear if the rapper is the target of the federal agents' investigation.

Representatives for Combs did not immediately respond to Fox News Digital's request for comment.

Douglas Wigdor, a lawyer for Diddy's ex-girlfriend, Cassie Ventura, told Fox News Digital, "We will always support law enforcement when it seeks to prosecute those that have violated the law. Hopefully, this is the beginning of a process that will hold Mr. Combs responsible for his depraved conduct."

https://www.foxnews....meland-security

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 March 2024 - 02:45 PM.

#3036 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 25 March 2024 - 02:57 PM

Got my Sommofest tickets for September. Woo! Not crazy about the lineup but the location is nice.

https://sommofest.com/

#3037 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 25 March 2024 - 03:13 PM

That had nothing to do with it. She goes where it makes economic sense. And where she can sell out multiple nights.

I know. I just wanted to give the Trudeau government one point for the re-election campaign.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#3038 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 02 April 2024 - 12:25 PM

Got my Cowboy Junkies tickets for July 18. A Thursday!
  • Nparker likes this

#3039 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,070 posts

Posted 07 April 2024 - 12:30 PM

IMG_2587.jpeg

That’s Billy Idol with Platinum Blonde opening.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 April 2024 - 12:44 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#3040 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 07 April 2024 - 02:35 PM

...That’s Billy Idol with Platinum Blonde opening.

You'd be hard pressed to get a more 1980's combo. I wonder if they will all have to wear wigs now to achieve their respective big, blonde coifs?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users