Emergency Preparedness - are you ready?

• Please log in to reply
212 replies to this topic

#41 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 05:21 AM

My hat goes off to the radio announcer. Who among us remembers his name? Skill testing question.

Mike King.

#42 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 09 October 2009 - 06:10 AM

10,000 died in the '85 Mexico quake.

Sounds like less than 250 would die in a similar sized quake here.

True, if its 3 a.m. and no-one is working in the Broad st/ Market or Bastion square area, because most of that 10 square block area will be non-existant.

On the other hand if people are working and shopping or dining out then expect a few more than 250 deaths. Perhaps that many per block.

Oh, almost forgot, the Empress hotel sits on one of the most likely liquefaction points in the city, along with all of the new developments between the blue bridge and bay st in Vic West.

Perhaps a few more than your 250.

http://www.em.gov.bc...rds/default.htm

#43 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 05:25 PM

I just came across this, it's pretty neat. This is set at last 5 years, but you can change it under the map to one year or 30 days.

http://earthquakesca...tpl_region=swbc

#44 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 10:55 PM

A medical crisis is likely the most common type of emergency each of us will face at one time or another.

Do you know what to do if someone falls unconscious (besides dial 911)?

Senior suffers heart attack at pub

Police and Victoria fire officials arrived within minutes and started CPR. They deployed an automatic defibrillator until paramedics arrived and took over.

Note the reporter doesn't say the firefighters took over performing CPR, they initiated it. Didn't anyone in the pub know basic first aid?
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#45 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 08:15 AM

They got a 6.5er off the QCI this morning at 7:30am.

#46 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 11:13 PM

Rob Johns came to speak to the DRA on emergency preparedness last week at Cool-Aid's Downtown Activity Centre. He introduced himself and started out by asking if anyone had actually ever been in a disaster. One member raised his hand and as he opened his mouth to reply the building's fire alarm went off. Johns led us out immediately and called 911. He reminded us that most apartment building fire alarms are not connected to the fire department so you still have to call 911 if the bells ring. Turns out it was a minor wastebasket fire upstairs, but it was interesting timing.

Is Wal-Mart still open? I want to rush out and put together an earthquake kit.

Johns said the mega quake that might occur would be bad for malls because the ground moves up and down like ocean waves for several minutes, unlike the more common short and violent quakes that happen every few years.

#47 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 12:29 AM

Emergency Preparedness Week: is Victoria ready?

Rob Johns has a tough task.

As Emergency Coordinator for the City of Victoria, it’s his job to educate local politicians and citizens on surviving a major disaster. The tough part is getting Victorians to take emergency preparedness seriously. Emergency Preparedness Week (May 3 – 8, 2010) was created to bring awareness to the issue.

more

#48 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 03:09 PM

One day to Shakeout 2011

By Robert Randall • Published on Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Tomorrow marks the 311th anniversary of the catastropic magnitude 9.0 Cascadia earthquake and emergency preparedness officials are using the date to hold the first ever province-wide disaster drill.

The Great British Columbia ShakeOut is designed to motivate people to have an action plan in place in case of a devastating disaster like a mega-quake.

more...

#49 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 06:17 PM

So did anyone participate?
I realized that I better get those closed picture hooks, because I will likely have shattered glass on the floor. So I decided not to get off the couch to crawl over to and under the dining room table, because I'd cut myself . So I curled in to the fetal position and put a pillow over my head. Seemed like the right thing to do. There was nothing nearby that would fall on me, and its a reinforced concrete building.
I'm also going to go out and buy big jugs of sealed (and dated) bottled water. That, and a whole bunch of ready to eat soups and fruit leather will hold me for a few days.
Pieta VanDyke

#50 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 07:18 PM

We had to do it in class at uVic this morning. It wasn't nearly as exciting as the promotional material promised.

#51 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 07:45 PM

A minute of my life that I will never get back...at least it was paid time at work. ;)

#52 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 08:04 PM

At 10am I practised looting some stores.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#53 Gipper

Gipper
  • 312 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 08:22 PM

I left the office at 9:57 to go for coffee.

#54 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:06 PM

I left the office at 9:57 to go for coffee.

Just in time. Good sense.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#55 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 06:39 AM

One of the items in Island Blue's archives is an old map/guide for use in case of atomic attack. Greater Victoria was divided into many sectors and each one was given a designated gathering point. If authorities announced a "stage yellow" you were to make way to your evacuation area to await further instructions.

For example, many Saanich Peninsula residents were to go to Deep Cove while most City of Victoria citizens would make their way to Mill Bay.

The booklet tells residents what nuclear fallout is and how to protect yourself against it and gives various pre-planning and post-attack survival advice.

A very curious artifact from a time that is too easily forgotten.

#56 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 04:11 PM

One of the items in Island Blue's archives is an old map/guide for use in case of atomic attack...most City of Victoria citizens would make their way to Mill Bay.

...Oh no! not the Malahat drive! Quick get me to ground zero!

#57 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 04:49 PM

...Oh no! not the Malahat drive! Quick get me to ground zero!

To quote "The Hills Have Eyes" The lucky ones die first. ;)

#58 kenjh

kenjh
  • 310 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:19 PM

amusing thread ..I am prepared ..food and water for the family ..for 6 or 7 days ..power for the house ..if it's still standing ..the RV if it's not ...and the boat if all else fails.. frustrating part ..started this in the 80's and have learned to rotate food stocks ..and the water tanks flushed seasonally..wasted a lot of food learning that ..has anyone else gotten more then a change of clothes and a few candy bars set aside ??

#59 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:24 PM

I'm finding my way to kenjh's house when the big one hits!

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#60 kenjh

kenjh
  • 310 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:31 PM

bring your med's..and your survival pack ..or your gonna be washing dish's and mopping floors ..the 4 house's around mine have a loose plan for keeping each other safe ,and protected ...

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users