Photo

Mid-Block Madness!

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#21 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 09:15 PM

^what building is that??? I can't visualize that....

#22 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 09:37 PM

Where the downtown activity centre is.
Past President of Victoria's Flâneur Union Local 1862

#23 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 09:43 PM

What is the downtown activity centre? you mean the information center?

#24 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 10:12 PM

On the Pandora side, just east of John's Place (is that still there?), there used to be a big blue "P" sign, indicating the driveway into the Johnson Street parkade. This is what we're talking about. The driveway into the parkade was between Galvanized's building and John's Place, I think. Somebody correct me on this.

#25 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 07:33 PM

I'm still waiting for someone to do this and photograph it.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#26 pseudotsuga

pseudotsuga
  • 287 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 09:55 PM

yes, I thought of this when checking out Rob Reid's site.

Navigating the Bay parkade might prove challenging...

#27 AnonAnnie2

AnonAnnie2
  • 151 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 02:27 PM

I'm in! What a grrrrrrrrreat idea! I am fairly new to Victoria and I am directionaly challenged. I have a tom tom that helps me get around but it would be super helpful if somebody who is super familar with this route could spell it out in one post for me.

This will be a 'project' that will take me a few weekends to complete and I think it deserves its very own "blog".

Thanks for pointing me here Holden! you are a rockstah!

#28 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 11:24 AM

Navigating the Bay parkade might prove challenging...

That's exactly what I was thinking but this thread is so old I don't even know if the Hudson was a proposal when this discussion started.

The only real madness in these shortcuts is the 700 blocks of Fort and Broughton St. Why have there always been two shortcuts there?

This one's a little easier. How can you walk from the inner harbour up to View St. while barely touching a sidewalk?
In chains by Keynes

#29 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 11:34 AM

This one's a little easier. How can you walk from the inner harbour up to View St. while barely touching a sidewalk?[/QUOTE]

Well, you could go up Bastion Square to Government St., take half a block of sidewalk south to get in to the Bay Centre, head over to Douglas, and cross the street.
Pieta VanDyke

#30 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 11:49 AM

Good one Barra.

I never even thought of the Bay Centre. I was thinking once at Government St, you could just sidle over to Trounce Alley and then sneak up to View St., but the Bay Centre would take you all the way to Douglas which is even further than what I said.

By the way, you might want to consider Buddhism because if you got into it, you could be Yogi Barra! :D
  • aastra likes this
In chains by Keynes

#31 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 03:54 PM

Thanks Phil!
as a matter of fact, I do practise Zen! Don't know if I aspire to be a yogi, but what a great name idea. I'll use it if I ever get there......and I promise to use a mid-block route as part of my journey
Pieta VanDyke

#32 davek

davek
  • 670 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 07:11 AM

By the way, you might want to consider Buddhism because if you got into it, you could be Yogi Barra! :D

If he carried stuff while roller blading, he could be a Wheel Barra!

#33 http

http

Data Sans Practicality

• 1,029 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 11:25 AM

This one's a little easier. How can you walk from the inner harbour up to View St. while barely touching a sidewalk?

I was thinking once at Government St, you could just sidle over to Trounce Alley and then sneak up to View St., but the Bay Centre would take you all the way to Douglas which is even further than what I said.

Possibly better is taking the alley beside the Board of Trade building at 31 Bastion Square. It brings you out to Langley St. near the back entrance to 1110 Government, which has Murchie's on the main floor and a couple offices upstairs. Head down the hallway and out the front and you're looking at the entrance to the Bay Centre.
  • aastra likes this
"Who are those slashdot people? They swept over like Mongol-Tartars." - F. E. Vladimirovna

#34 Linear Thinker

Linear Thinker
  • 522 posts
  • LocationWork from home, Live in Fairfield

Posted 30 January 2009 - 01:12 PM

Here's one I tried at lunch today for the 500blk going north to south.
Went from Discovery to Fort. Lots of zigzags, not all street crossings have crosswalks, and not 24/7 accessible:

Start from Sports Traders. 508 Discovery,
south across the Capital Iron parking lot and cross Chatham,
south through the parking lot to 533 Chatham, up some steps and exit at LeFerve & Co. and cross Herald at the crosswalk,
south through Dragon Alley and j-walk across Fisgard,
south through FanTan Alley and j-walk across Pandora,
south through Market Square and cross Johnson at the crosswalk,
west to Waddington Alley, south to Yates. j-walk or east to the crosswalk at Langley,
south along Commercial Alley, through Bastion Square,
south through Helmcken Alley to parking lot at Fort/Langley, cross Fort at crosswalk.

Took about 15min.

#35 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 01:31 PM

^Excellent. There are a few hidden ones most people would miss, like the Chatham to Herald connection.

#36 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 02:50 PM

There is also a pedestrian walkthrough between Chatham and Herald a little bit farther down. It comes out by that alumium clad building.

#37 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:58 PM

I have copious amounts of photos documenting change on that exact route (with G-Man's variation) between 1995 and 2005.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#38 http

http

Data Sans Practicality

• 1,029 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 11:27 PM

I have copious amounts of photos documenting change on that exact route (with G-Man's variation) between 1995 and 2005.

So when should we expect an animation?

K:P
"Who are those slashdot people? They swept over like Mongol-Tartars." - F. E. Vladimirovna

#39 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 11:30 PM

Teach me how to use flash and we might.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#40 http

http

Data Sans Practicality

• 1,029 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 12:04 AM

Teach me how to use flash and we might.

Flash. Actionscript. Pain behind left eye. I hope that isn't a threat.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users