Black Press and Victoria News

• Please log in to reply
414 replies to this topic

#181 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 08:12 PM

I think Black press will award you some kind of citation at year's end.

......and now .....it gives us great pleasure to award VHF the 2017.....
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

#182 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 10:33 PM

Black Press sues pair of B.C. websites it claims stole content

In a petition filed in B.C. Supreme Court, Black Press alleged that Seal’s website reproduced the beginning of news reports, with no changes, from the Victoria Newsand Peninsula News Review in an attempt to attract readers and advertising dollars.

Edited by Rob Randall, 08 December 2017 - 10:35 PM.

#183 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 05:45 AM

^ Now there is a perfect example of fake news.

First of all if that were true, somebody besides Black would be a gillionaire by now.

I think that making people aware of information that someone else has identified, discovered, or reported about is fair game. My breaking news about McDonald's mobile app is a perfect example. The story belongs to McDonalds. I didn't own the story. I copied the story and let you know about it. Now somebody else......I'm not saying who....has told the same story that I told. Big deal. They do not owe me anything.

Copying somebody's work and reselling it (like CD dubbing sweat shops) is where protection is needed.

I use pirate bay. I download videos and watch them.....for free. If the person(s) that produced the video have a problem with that....I'm sorry. If they don't like it.....get it off the internet. If I watch a satellite feed without paying for it too bad. If the satellite company doesn't like that....get your signal out of my back yard.

The internet has taken the money out of selling music. The internet will continue to be a curse for department stores. The government and courts won't be able to prolong their existence. We will evolve.

I have to go now. I have some music videos to watch. While I'm at it I may as while capture the audio portion and stick that part on my phone.

#184 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 05:59 AM

VHF could have saved himself a lot of grief by just going here.

#185 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 09:07 AM

^ Now there is a perfect example of fake news.

First of all if that were true, somebody besides Black would be a gillionaire by now.

I think that making people aware of information that someone else has identified, discovered, or reported about is fair game. My breaking news about McDonald's mobile app is a perfect example. The story belongs to McDonalds. I didn't own the story. I copied the story and let you know about it. Now somebody else......I'm not saying who....has told the same story that I told. Big deal. They do not owe me anything.

Copying somebody's work and reselling it (like CD dubbing sweat shops) is where protection is needed.

So if someone's tool of business is a guitar they need protection but not if they use a keyboard? I don't think you've really thought this through clearly. 

• Matt R. likes this

#186 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 09:22 AM

It's all a matter of degrees.  If I broadcast a 4-minute video of a band playing at the Irish Times tonight, in order to encourage people to come see the second set, no court is going to rule against me.  If I make a HQ video and audio recording of a U2 concert and sell the stream or the DVD, I'm in trouble.

If I say, "hey take a look at what Victoria News says the roving tent city is up to", as I have today, I'm likely to be OK.  Will a judge have to make that decision?  Maybe, if one or both parties are stubborn to the end.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 09 December 2017 - 09:22 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#187 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 09:48 AM

^Yes, that's fine.

The other battleground is the Facebook feed. If someone follows both VicBCToday and a Black Press page, will one muscle their way into the readers' feed? Maybe, depending on how they are promoted. Paid promotions elbow out "free" content. Whether a Facebook user sees one or the other depends on who pays more. 

Of course, the hope is the reader eventually ends up at the main source, regardless of whether Paul Seal's sites intercept them first. And as been pointed out, Paul's pages may drive traffic to mainstream media sites. It's all about capturing eyeballs.

#188 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 09:53 AM

The biggest battleground is likely the Facebook feed, and perhaps a BP point of envy.  Victoria News has 5,985 followers on Facebook.  GG has 5k, Peninsula News 2,500. 

I'm homing in on 500,000 followers.

My FB network also publishes every single Victoria Buzz item, automatically.

But while I have yet to see any documents at all in the BP vs. Seal legal case, I do not believe FB is mentioned in it.   

Is BP suing these three people, or even banning them from their page?  Nope.  Because some shares are good, some are bad I guess.

screenshot-www.facebook.com-2017-12-09-09-57-29-968.png

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 09 December 2017 - 10:00 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#189 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 11:12 AM

Perhaps Victoria Buzz should be charging Black Press for distribution!

#190 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 05:23 PM

But while I have yet to see any documents at all in the BP vs. Seal legal case, I do not believe FB is mentioned in it.  

How does this work?

One entity sues another. They file documents with the court stating their case.

How does that become public knowledge via a news article and you have not been presented the documents to find out what you are being sued for?

I am also confused about who exactly BP is suing. A company or proprietorship, or individuals?

#191 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 05:41 PM

How does this work?

How does that become public knowledge via a news article and you have not been presented the documents to find out what you are being sued for?

I am also confused about who exactly BP is suing. A company or proprietorship, or individuals?

Anything filed in the court is of public reccord.

#192 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 05:56 PM

How does this work?

They are suing me and my sole proprietorship, which for legal purposes is the same thing.

It becomes public when it’s filed. A process seRver needs to bring me the documents. Not happened yet.
  • Matt R. likes this

#193 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,039 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 06:03 PM

This is going to really help your mayoral run.

Matt.

#194 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 06:07 PM

Lol.
  • Matt R. likes this

#195 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,039 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 06:14 PM

Mayor of Saanich. I’d vote for you!

Matt.

#196 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 07:59 PM

They are suing me and my sole proprietorship, which for legal purposes is the same thing.

Time to change your avatar again and disappear into the cloud.   :badpc:

#197 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 08:28 PM

^ No way! This Black Press corporate bully needs to loose.

I wonder how clean it is under their bed?

#198 manuel

manuel
  • 595 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 08:47 PM

Doesn't surprise me. Best defense could be a PR one - David social media being bullied by Black Press corporate giant.

So VHF, what was the story you ran that really passed them off? I'd dig a lot deeper on whatever that was as the dirty laundry, if any, may rest under that bed.

Besides, of course running a proxy campaign for refinery to divert attention from LNG.
  • jonny likes this
"I know nothing"

#199 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 08:55 PM

So VHF, what was the story you ran that really passed them off? I'd dig a lot deeper on whatever that was as the dirty laundry, if any, may rest under that bed.

Seal's page has stopped quoting substantial parts of articles for some time. If you check the archives (look at "Popular Posts") you'll find a couple. Note that entire articles were never copied, only large portions.

Seems to be lessons have been learned and I wouldn't be surprised if papers aren't served at all as I don't believe either side wants to pay for a lengthy Supreme Court battle.

Edited by Rob Randall, 09 December 2017 - 08:56 PM.

#200 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 09:16 AM

It becomes public when it’s filed. A process seRver needs to bring me the documents. Not happened yet.

As we know from the Torstar filings, Black Press has been losing substantial amounts of money for some time now. This really seems to me to be the last gasp of an aging dinosaur before it fades off into the sunset.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users