Black Press and Victoria News

• Please log in to reply
414 replies to this topic

#41 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:12 AM

The pamphlet states Black Press would enter into a short term lease with the new owner (short term is typically 1-3 years). Is this a sign they are planning a move or vastly reducing their square footage needs? It would make sense to sell a building, recoup nearly $8-million, enter into a short term lease with the new owner, then vacate 1/2 or 1/3 of the space and not concern yourself with the costs of a half empty office building.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#42 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:31 AM

The pamphlet states Black Press would enter into a short term lease with the new owner (short term is typically 1-3 years). Is this a sign they are planning a move or vastly reducing their square footage needs? It would make sense to sell a building, recoup nearly $8-million, enter into a short term lease with the new owner, then vacate 1/2 or 1/3 of the space and not concern yourself with the costs of a half empty office building.

So does Black Press definitely own the building now?
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#43 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:22 PM

That was my impression. Could they just be leasing the building?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#44 Brick and Mortar

Brick and Mortar
  • 47 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:24 PM

That was my impression. Could they just be leasing the building?

They own it.

#45 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:18 PM

Thanks for the confirmation.

Know it all.

#46 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:05 PM

I hope Black Press will either build or renovate a kick ass space with a profile to the street. Why not? This is where they're from.
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#47 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:30 AM

Could be. The current office building is very suburban and tucked away where nobody ever sees it.

Know it all.

#48 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:32 AM

I wonder if they will downsize - if you look at Monday Mag lately, it is getting really thin

#49 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:42 AM

They've already downsized the staff for Monday Mag, at the very least. I can see them reducing their office footprint by a substantial amount unless they bring all of their offices under one roof (they have a presence on the peninsula and on the west shore, don't they?).

Know it all.

#50 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:38 PM

I wonder if they need a downtown location, and how much walk in traffic do they get? It might be more convenient for the office to be located near their printing press on Enterprize Crescent.

#51 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:39 PM

I would expect the downtown location is of more benefit to the writers.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#52 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:05 PM

^Great location for a news gathering organization, right by the courthouse. I'm sure Monday's current downscaled operations could be run from a small coffee shop. And they're probably considering it.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#53 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:37 PM

We've received word that upwards of 30 truck driving and warehouse jobs will be cut across Vancouver Island soon.

Know it all.

#54 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:07 PM

We've received word that upwards of 30 truck driving and warehouse jobs will be cut across Vancouver Island soon.

Well, they will be moved the the Mainland perhaps.   So no net loss really.   Why is this in the Black Press thread?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#55 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:19 PM

If Black Press is cutting jobs shouldn't it be mentioned in the Black Press thread?

Know it all.

#56 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:27 PM

If Black Press is cutting jobs shouldn't it be mentioned in the Black Press thread?

Yes, it should.  But unless Black is somehow moving to a pick-up model for his papers, ie. come and get them at one central pick-up point, and not distributing them to homes or drop locations, these jobs are somehow being covered by others, maybe contractors.

#57 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:33 PM

All the Vic News/Monday signage has been stripped from the Black Press building.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#58 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 02:28 PM

Yes, it should.  But unless Black is somehow moving to a pick-up model for his papers, ie. come and get them at one central pick-up point, and not distributing them to homes or drop locations, these jobs are somehow being covered by others, maybe contractors.

Of those 30 jobs to be cut I doubt even half will be drivers. The majority of them will likely be warehouse/merchandising staff.

Know it all.

#59 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 09:46 PM

http://www.cowichanv...uncan-1.1632965

Twelve employees at the (Black Press owned) Cowichan News Leader Pictorial newspaper in Duncan took to the picket lines on Monday in a dispute over proposed changes to their pay structure.

The strike is about blocking the implementation of a two-tier wage system by management, said Unifor Local 2000 representative Peter McQuade.

- See more at: http://www.cowichanv...h.oZwZC17u.dpuf

The Citizen, that reports the story above is also union:

This is their contract:  http://vving.ca/docu...valley-citizen/

^  Nothing over $20/hour there.

#60 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 31 December 2014 - 01:32 PM

Not sure this is the right thread, but this reno is coming along.

Attached Images

• 20141231_125445.jpg

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users