Black Press and Victoria News

• Please log in to reply
414 replies to this topic

#81 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 28 July 2015 - 07:56 AM

I get notices in my mailbox every few weeks advising that my neighbourhood route is available. Quite frequent turnover and very often delivered by adults. Kids don't want to break off after-school time to do it.

My son did it regularly for something like four years and has now passed the route to his younger sister. They do it for a tiny wage and to keep me off their back for not having some sort of paid work/regular responsibility outside of chores and school.

Of course I have been told I am a bad person because I insist the kids do their chores before they get their allowance so my opinion may not be worth much. ;)

• Mike K., Nparker and todd like this

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#82 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 28 July 2015 - 08:06 AM

My son did it regularly for something like four years and has now passed the route to his younger sister. They do it for a tiny wage and to keep me off their back for not having some sort of paid work/regular responsibility outside of chores and school.

Of course I have been told I am a bad person because I insist the kids do their chores before they get their allowance so my opinion may not be worth much. ;)

Parenting win! :)

#83 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 09:02 AM

It's wages. 100%.

Remember, Black Press fired their photographers and put out requests to the community to supply them with photos of events. If that's how they treat photographers imagine what the conditions must be like for delivery people.

Speaking of which, I haven't received a copy of Vic News in months. I wonder if BP continues pushing the same circulation numbers to their advertisers despite major gaps in delivery.

I guess that's why they used the same photo of the "fawns crossing" sign in three different articles.

#84 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 04:18 PM

Daniel Palmer left Black Press last month.

Left or fired?

#85 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 04:34 PM

He left.

#86 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 05:05 PM

He left.

left, right... left?

• spanky123 likes this

#87 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 06:40 AM

He left.

Thanks. Seemed strange that he would quit with no other job lined up.

#88 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 07:25 AM

Thanks. Seemed strange that he would quit with no other job lined up.

Is that the case?

#89 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 07:29 AM

He's freelancing.  He was always too good a reporter/writer to be working for Black Press wages.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#90 Kikadee

Kikadee
  • 247 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 09:23 AM

Oddly, while I can get a free copy of Sooke News from a little roadside stand near the neighbourhood mailboxes, if I get it at Western Foods I have to pay for it.

#91 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 10:20 AM

It's wages. 100%.

Remember, Black Press fired their photographers and put out requests to the community to supply them with photos of events. If that's how they treat photographers imagine what the conditions must be like for delivery people.

Speaking of which, I haven't received a copy of Vic News in months. I wonder if BP continues pushing the same circulation numbers to their advertisers despite major gaps in delivery.

Looks like The Oak Bay News reads VV, looks like this was posted later on that same day.

If this is not a coincidence maybe I will be getting my Oak Bay News paper delivered sooner than September.   :)

I wonder if there advertisers(such as the CRD and municipalities such as Oak Bay) are understanding/informed about the Black Press having the inability to deliver in some areas? 

Edited by todd, 08 August 2015 - 10:22 AM.

#92 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 12:04 PM

usedvictoria

$400 · Relief Carrier's needed for Door to Door delivery

The Goldstream, Victoria, Saanich, Oak Bay, and Peninsula News are currently seeking reliable persons to take on some relief Door to Door walking routes. Please do NOT send resumes as they are not required. A brief description of your work ethic and understanding of the territory that you are applying to is all we require. Please only apply to the area that suits you.

This job is physically demanding. We require you to walk papers door to door delivering routes that we do not have full time carrier's on. Delivery days are Wednesdays and Fridays only and you have until 6pm to deliver. We typically lump together about 5 to 7 routes equaling 300 papers. We try to keep them close enough together to maximize your time and keep your gas costs down. MUST HAVE A RELIABLE VEHICLE as the routes are to be picked up at our press.

Please contact us for further information. Please only SERIOUS applicants need apply. Only those selected will be contacted. 

$400.00 is Per Month but varies depending on what you deliver for us.

http://www.usedvicto...livery_21883403

#93 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 12:28 PM

$400.00 is Per Month but varies depending on what you deliver for us.

Wear and tear on vehicle, gas, shoe leather, wind, rain, and wild deer just to earn .06 per paper if my math is correct....

• sebberry and todd like this

#94 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 01:04 PM

Is it any wonder nobody wants to do it?
  • sebberry and Bingo like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#95 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 01:12 PM

Inhumane  :whyme:

• Bingo likes this

#96 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 04:13 PM

I mean, they don't even offer to equip your vehicle with a Deer Guard ®.

• sebberry and todd like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#97 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 05:03 PM

Wear and tear on vehicle, gas, shoe leather, wind, rain, and wild deer just to earn .06 per paper if my math is correct....

I think it is .16 per paper? Still...  :whyme:

Edited by todd, 08 August 2015 - 05:16 PM.

#98 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 05:28 PM

I think it is .16 per paper? Still...  :whyme:

Perhaps...but if I chuck the whole lot in the recycle bin its works out to $50.00 for 10 minutes work.  :D

• todd likes this

#99 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 05:31 PM

That's rediculous.
  • Bingo likes this

#100 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 06:13 PM

Perhaps...but if I chuck the whole lot in the recycle bin its works out to $50.00 for 10 minutes work.  :D

only works the first couple times.. ... .... R.I.P. oak bay star paper route

Edited by todd, 08 August 2015 - 06:17 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users