Photo

Black Press and Victoria News

• Please log in to reply
414 replies to this topic

#101 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 06:47 PM

We just have boxes for the Goldstream Gazette, they don't do door to door delivery, which is a good thing. If you want a copy of the paper you pick it up at the mailboxes.

Only downside is, it is pretty hit or miss as to whether they put new papers in as they come out.

Oh, another downside, I reached in to pick up a copy the other day and some animal came flying out of the box. Scared the hell out of me, turns out it was a cat, but just the same why would he sleep in there?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#102 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 07:30 PM

Oh, another downside, I reached in to pick up a copy the other day and some animal came flying out of the box. Scared the hell out of me, turns out it was a cat, but just the same why would he sleep in there?

possibly an article about a cougar attack in the gazette that day  

#103 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 08:38 PM

It's been a cooler summer than I thought  :squint:  :)  :squint:

cold summer.png

http://www.oakbaynew.../318706401.html

Edited by todd, 08 August 2015 - 08:41 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#104 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 12:46 PM

After retreating out of town for a week to my delight what was waiting for me on my front porch? None other than a nostalgic genuine printed issue of the Oak Bay News! 

:banana:  :1954_dancing:  :banana:

#105 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 10:33 AM

The Victoria News, the only alternative newspaper in BC's capital, is down to a single reporter and one editor who shares writing duties. The problem with being your own editor is there isn't a separate set of eyes to catch mistakes, like in the current issue which repeatedly refers to Cielo Properties' Stan Sipos as Stan "Sipes". I mean, the two of them do a good job of filling a newspaper twice a week but it's not like a few years ago when they had a whole newsroom and a friendly rivalry with the reporters at Monday Magazine down the hall.
  • Hotel Mike likes this

#106 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 10:44 AM

My God, that's it?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#107 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 11:08 PM

I think a couple years ago they decentralized their newsroom which used to be shared between various area Black Press newspapers? Which may account for some of the staff reduction? I know the Oak Bay News moved back into Athlone Court a little while back. I believe they used  to share a newsroom with Vic News?

#108 VictoriaSportsNews

VictoriaSportsNews
  • 27 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC (Saanich)

Posted 20 November 2015 - 10:38 AM

The Victoria News, the only alternative newspaper in BC's capital, is down to a single reporter and one editor who shares writing duties. The problem with being your own editor is there isn't a separate set of eyes to catch mistakes, like in the current issue which repeatedly refers to Cielo Properties' Stan Sipos as Stan "Sipes". I mean, the two of them do a good job of filling a newspaper twice a week but it's not like a few years ago when they had a whole newsroom and a friendly rivalry with the reporters at Monday Magazine down the hall.

New here. Just noticed the media discussion. Interesting.

I know what you are saying, but technically-speaking Victoria News and all of the Black Press community newspapers are not "alternative" in the true sense of the word, as far as media goes. I think perhaps you mean "independent" or not owned by some big mega corp; therefore not influenced by head office? IF so, that's true, however, they do produce an alternative perspective when someone decides to get it done (from head office). The Nisga Treaty was one example from I think around 1999, where Mr. David Black himself decided to put his fist down and give the opposite perspective of all the media in Canada. That doesn't seem to happen like that anymore.

Monday Magazine used to be the only serious alternative newspaper in Victoria when it was a member of the AAN (Association of Alternative Newsmedia). They used to have deeply researched editorial content. They bucked the generally agreed upon principles of newsmedia of today by writing massive feature stories that were a chore to read, but in-depth and investigative. Russ Francis was an example of a writer who told the other side of the story, but there were many before him - before Black Press bought them; they were then truly independent and alternative. Victoria does not seem to have a voice like that anymore. Roll out the semi-retired, former journalist bloggers.

On the one hand there are publications that are full of puffery to attract the advertisers and offend no one, then there is community news like BP of course and world and community news in the TC.

I think BP journalist/writers/editors do a wonderful job with the resources they have (or don't have) as do the TC. The key word there was "resources".

With the timeliness of the mighty-mighty interwebs, it is impossible to produce faster news with newsprint. So in my not-requested and not so humble opinion, I think for newspapers to survive, they need to do the reverse: instead of writing short and sweet stories that are easily digestible between sips of a latte - which is playing in the same sandbox as the internet - go back to investigative, well-researched and alternative news media; tell the stories, ones that are difficult to read with a glaring screen.

....bringing a musket to a AK47 gun fight....

Christopher Kelsall,
Owner
Victoria Sports News
Athletics Illustrated

Victoria Run Series

chris@victoriasportsnews.com

@VSNSportsNews
Facebook
www.victoriasportsnews.com
www.athleticsillustrated.com
www.victoriarunseries.com

#109 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 07:11 PM

Black Press shutters Nanaimo Daily News after 141 years of publishing - NEWS 1130

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#110 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 12:09 PM

Not a Black paper, but did not want to start a new thread:

Guelph Mercury, one of Canada’s oldest newspapers, quits print editions

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#111 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 08:52 PM

Anyone know what type of ink and paper the OB News uses? 

#112 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 09:11 PM

Anyone know what type of ink and paper the OB News uses? 

Breaking News ink on Breaking Newspaper.

#113 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 09:38 PM

Vegetable inks are standard in newspaper printing and are safe for gardens.

http://articles.chic...ink-soybean-oil
  • todd likes this

#114 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 06:10 AM

Print version:

"We're going to put more rigger behind our estimates coming forward"

Later online version:

“We’re going to put more rigour behind our estimates coming forward.”

http://www.bclocalne...tml?mobile=true

Obviously more riggerous proofreading is needed.
  • Jill likes this

#115 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 02:45 PM

http://www.vicnews.c...ictoria-police/

It looks as though Backer tuned himself in to Australian police.

https://en.wikipedia...Victoria_Police

Victoria_Police_patch.png

• sebberry, Jill, Sparky and 1 other like this

#116 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 April 2017 - 08:58 PM

Good catch!

I have one of those AUS Victoria Police patches around somewhere from a family member who visited from there.

• todd likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#117 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 09:30 AM

Good catch!

I have one of those AUS Victoria Police patches around somewhere from a family member who visited from there.

What happened to the police officer?

#118 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 09:20 AM

After all officers, firefighters, police and tow truck drivers are also at risk every time they step out of their vehicle and onto the street by people too dense to understand the implication of their actions.

???

http://www.sookenews...afety-concerns/

Every time I step out to pick up an Oak Bay News, I risk reading material written by a retard.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 02 August 2017 - 09:21 AM.

• HB likes this

#119 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 09:57 AM

Oh wow, that's really bad.

#120 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 10:20 AM

???

http://www.sookenews...afety-concerns/

Every time I step out to pick up an Oak Bay News, I risk reading material written by a retard.

retard is not an appropriate word to use I think you should cool it and take a 24 hour break

Edited by HB, 02 August 2017 - 10:21 AM.

• Matt R., lanforod and Daveyboy like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users