The Yates on Yates
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 848-852 Yates Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 20
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, 3BR, 2BR + den)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The Yates on Yates is one of two 20-storey residential towers on a property spanning the 700-blocks of Yates a... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Yates on Yates on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown] The Yates on Yates | Condos; commercial | 20-storeys | Built - completed in 2020

• Please log in to reply
990 replies to this topic

#921 magmazing

magmazing
  • 155 posts

Posted 13 March 2021 - 07:06 PM

I was browsing some of the Yates units for sale on realtor.ca. Anyone else other than me sketched out by the open gap between the sliding door and balcony rail on this one?

Attached Images

• yates.JPG

• Matt R. and newbie_01 like this

#922 etherbuns

etherbuns
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 March 2021 - 07:37 PM

Public parkade opens this spring between 800-blocks of Yates and Johnson streets

https://victoria.cit...ohnson-streets/

Man, I was so excited about the design of this building when it was first revealed. It reminded me of the terraced designs of art deco buildings. Sadly, the finished product of both towers is really aesthetically disappointing. First, the aligned stone cladding at its base it not a good look, and all the slight alignment flaws are only accentuated by the choice of stone, which is extremely porous and shows moisture absorption almost constantly. Then, going up the tower, the yellow-cream brick they chose clashes both with the gray stone, and the white panelling above, bringing out too much of the yellow hue, and making it stand out in an ugly way. Finally, the smaller windows on the upper floors make the building look squeezed and prison-like, and it doesn't help that it's topped with the most dull, textureless gray cladding possible.  

Ultimately this building, to me, is both dull and exremely clashy/busy at the same time. 

• zoomer, DougG and Vin like this

#923 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 13 March 2021 - 07:46 PM

While it's not likely a safety issue, it does seem a bit odd that the door opening is not aligned with the balcony.

#924 phx

phx
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 13 March 2021 - 08:13 PM

It looks like a mistake.

• Matt R. likes this

#925 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,797 posts

Posted 13 March 2021 - 08:42 PM

That looks ridiculous! Guessing it’s not going to be fixed, ever. Wonder how many more suites are like that, or worse?

Matt.

#926 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 13 March 2021 - 11:02 PM

That's funny because just today we bought a screen door for our house's patio--our new kitten loves to rocket out the patio door at warp speed whenever the door is opened but today he got a sudden head-first introduction to the concept of a screen door. If we lived in that condo I fear poor kitten would bolt out the door and keep going Wile E. Coyote-style.

• Matt R. and Victoria Watcher like this

#927 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 13 March 2021 - 11:11 PM

I believe the the BC code says the maximum width allowed for railing supports is four inches, correct? So anything much bigger than a softball can't pass through.

#928 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,010 posts

Posted 14 March 2021 - 03:54 AM

the glass panel is a standard size. as is that section of the railing. by being so it’s less expensive. if it had been a custom size to fit more snug it wound have been much more expensive. at some point a decision was made to place it the way it is. legal but not the best aesthetically. but times however many suites it saved lots of money.

the entire railing system as a whole could have been brought back towards the suite interior too to also close the gap using standard panels. thus reducing usable desk space slightly. a conscious decision was also made to not do this.

if it is of grave concern to someone I’d just suggest they have a plexiglass panel cut to size. and find a VERY effective was to secure it. don’t half ass it so that it blows away in the first storm and becomes a hazard to someone or some thing below.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 14 March 2021 - 04:03 AM.

#929 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,010 posts

Posted 14 March 2021 - 04:07 AM

I believe the the BC code says the maximum width allowed for railing supports is four inches, correct? So anything much bigger than a softball can't pass through.

something like that. whatever the space is between aluminum “pickets” in a less expensive no-glass model railing. that you will see lots of places or even on the stairs sections of glass panel systems.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 14 March 2021 - 04:09 AM.

#930 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,172 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 14 March 2021 - 09:18 AM

I don’t think it’s the gap that is the issue here. It’s the look. Looks like a mistake and always will.

#931 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,010 posts

Posted 14 March 2021 - 09:29 AM

in a perfect word the railing would actually be attached back to the building wall.  but in the post-leaky-condo building envelope world no architect in their right mind would ever specify that now.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 14 March 2021 - 09:29 AM.

#932 LJ

LJ
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 14 March 2021 - 06:52 PM

^The whole railing should be attached to the building for added strength. If enough people lean on those balconies over time the bolts are going to loosen up a bit.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#933 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 March 2021 - 09:06 PM

The real crime is the small size of the balcony.  Why do they bother making them so small?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#934 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 16 March 2021 - 07:24 AM

Actually most people do not seem to really use balconies although they love the idea of having one.

#935 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,010 posts

Posted 16 March 2021 - 07:26 AM

Actually most people do not seem to really use balconies although they love the idea of having one.

this is true.

why so small? probably a balance between what costs the least and what the city allows.

#936 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 16 March 2021 - 09:59 AM

Having a balcony helps even if it's just to stretch out outside for a few minutes per day. Some new builds still do Juliet balconies, even... 

#937 dkuitu

dkuitu
  • 397 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 March 2021 - 08:37 PM

I was browsing some of the Yates units for sale on realtor.ca. Anyone else other than me sketched out by the open gap between the sliding door and balcony rail on this one?

I would have the tendency to squeeze my cellphone tight every time I saw that gap.

#938 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,010 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 10:11 AM

Only 2 Brand New Homes Remain at The Yates!

Spring is in the air and only two sunny, spacious homes remain available at The Yates. Don't miss your last opportunity to call The Yates home. These never-lived in, brand new homes offer all the luxuries of spacious, house-sized living with condominium conveniences! With the heart of downtown at your doorstep, homes at The Yates don't disappoint. 

This week's featured home, Suite 1602 is an 894 square foot, corner two-bedroom, two bathroom home that lives large. Oversized corner windows bathe this home with light and showcase the views of downtown and the Inner Harbour. A generous open kitchen features Integrated appliances and a large full-height pantry making cooking a dream! The spacious primary bedroom and ensuite bathroom are separated from the secondary bedroom for optimal privacy. This home offers in-suite heating and cooling for year round comfort. A side-by-side washer and dryer with built in millwork, a large deck and parking included complete the package. Check out the full list of features and finishes or see for yourself! 

Priced at $789,900 with GST Included

#939 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 06:19 PM

The Yates is sold-out!

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#940 Vin

Vin
  • 134 posts

Posted 18 June 2021 - 04:21 PM

Man, I was so excited about the design of this building when it was first revealed. It reminded me of the terraced designs of art deco buildings. Sadly, the finished product of both towers is really aesthetically disappointing. First, the aligned stone cladding at its base it not a good look, and all the slight alignment flaws are only accentuated by the choice of stone, which is extremely porous and shows moisture absorption almost constantly. Then, going up the tower, the yellow-cream brick they chose clashes both with the gray stone, and the white panelling above, bringing out too much of the yellow hue, and making it stand out in an ugly way. Finally, the smaller windows on the upper floors make the building look squeezed and prison-like, and it doesn't help that it's topped with the most dull, textureless gray cladding possible.  

Ultimately this building, to me, is both dull and exremely clashy/busy at the same time. 

Yes, it is a new low for a city that prides itself with some of the nicest architecture in Western Canada: namely the Empress & Legislative Building.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users