The Victoria beer thread

• Please log in to reply
625 replies to this topic

#621 lanforod

lanforod
  • 4,377 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 02 March 2017 - 09:25 AM

I always drink local. Support local businesses. Why support the big boys when local is almost always better.
  • thundergun and nagel like this

#622 Matt R.

Matt R.
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 10:31 AM

Had a few Hoyne Dark Matter at Irish Times last night. Tasty treats!

Matt.
  • tedward likes this

#623 Matt R.

Matt R.
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 10:35 AM

We run four taps at my shop, and lots of bottles and bombers. Two taps VIB, one salt spring, one rotating. Quite often tourists come in and see Vancouver Island on the menu and want that right away, it must be local, right? The brand name makes for an easy sell and it's a good price point.

Hoyne, Phillips, Lighthouse, Red Arrow, Driftwood - lots and lots of great local draught out there but none of them speak to geography. They also sell well but require a bigger investment on my part when all we want to do is give people what they want and turn tables in the summer.

Matt.

#624 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan

Super Moderator

• 43,713 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 10:41 AM

^ I had not thought about that in the name.    And yes, VIB has always had good pricing.

#625 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • 100 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 March 2017 - 01:02 PM

Someone would have to refresh my memory, but wasn't VIB the first physical brewery (outside of a restaurant - Spinnakers) to be built in Victoria after they tore down the old Labatts joint across from Acklands?

I seem to recall a time when they were the only dedicated craft brewery game in town, and hosted a few private late night "gatherings" in their lobby/bar.

• Matt R. likes this

#626 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • 100 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 March 2017 - 09:34 PM

Thinking about beer in this town, i recalled that the old Labatts Brewery on Government used to have an employee coffee room in it, and there on the wall of the coffee room was a beer tap - from which Labatts employees could pull a glass of free beer for their morning coffee break, another free beer on their lunch hour, and then a free beer again on their afternoon coffee break.

Often, the boys would hang around after work in the coffee room and pull a couple more free glasses.

It was considered a perk of the job, and I recall that the boys made sure that management knew the coffee room "free beer tap" was there to stay.

I guess a business probably wouldn't get away with that these days eh?  :cheers:

• Mike K., Dietrich and Benn like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users