Photo

The Victoria beer thread

• Please log in to reply
903 replies to this topic

#641 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 07:45 PM

I totally agree. When the branding came out two or so years ago I thought I was looking at a preview logo or a minor logo for coasters or something... Not the actual branding.

They make good beer and I enjoy the staff in the tasting room so this is a nice change.

I think VI Brewing is the only one I don't have swag for, too, because it was boring.

#642 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,041 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 07:18 PM

Finally connected with the Sleeman rep, looking forward to getting a keg of Sapporo and Anchor Steam this week!

Matt.

#643 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 07:40 PM

Vancouver Island Brewery was long overdue for a makeover. Phillips is known for their very busy, whimsical, retro designs so it made sense for VIB to take a completely different take by going very stark and modern.

The problem seems that they completely abandoned the equity built up over many years with their previous designs. Gone was the orca and the other familiar design elements--it was a clean break from the past, a clear slate. They didn't anticipate the public would recoil from this drastic change.

Part of the problem was the design had little relevance to Victoria beer. For some reason, the word Vancouver was made prominent. Perhaps this was a suggestion by their new Ontario owners in order to make the product appealing to a cross-Canada audience. 

Another problem with the new identity was it could have been any product. The logo could just as well be a San Antonio high-tech firm or a Vicksburg construction company.

It's a shame, because that rebranding cost them a pile of money and it barely lasted a year.

• jonny likes this

#644 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 22 May 2018 - 07:57 AM

^ The VIB branding struck me as very nice for a new kid on the block, but awful for an established brand. Glad to see a return to their roots with this new new branding!

• jonny likes this

#645 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 06:35 AM

A decent % of us beer chuggers out there have hydro flask growlers, or an equivalent.  VIB can't even fill them.  I literally bike right past them every time I fill a growler.  Asset choices matter, and this one is causing many lost sales.

• lanforod likes this

#646 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 08:31 AM

A decent % of us beer chuggers out there have hydro flask growlers, or an equivalent.  VIB can't even fill them.  I literally bike right past them every time I fill a growler.  Asset choices matter, and this one is causing many lost sales.

#liverefreshed

Ahh, very nice. Finally a product that keeps my liver freshed. 

#647 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 23 May 2018 - 08:33 AM

I have considered buying one of these, but didn't know they were functionally different from the regular glass growlers. What makes VIB unable to fill a hydro flask growler?

#648 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 12:33 PM

I have considered buying one of these, but didn't know they were functionally different from the regular glass growlers. What makes VIB unable to fill a hydro flask growler?

And just as importantly, are Phillips and Hoyne able to fill them?

#649 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 01:40 PM

What ever happened to buying a six pack? Yeesh.
  • Laszlow likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#650 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 23 May 2018 - 01:49 PM

What ever happened to buying a six pack? Yeesh.

If every brewery bottled or canned every beer they made, then sure! Until then, some seasonal or limited run products are only available on tap.

#651 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 02:09 PM

What percentage of VIB's sales are growler? Probably negligible

#652 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 03:38 PM

Every other brewery in town can fill them.

As for what happened to 6 packs, first, many of the best beers are only available in expensive bombers. Second, even if they’re available in a 6 pack, you still get a decent discount for a growler. You can get Phillips growlers for $9 each if you do the tokens. 16 different beers all the same price. Finally, for these hydro flask growlers, I can literally buy my beer at 3pm, bike home, leave it on the counter all night as I drink away, forget it on the counter overnight, and in the morning as I realize my folly and put it in the fridge it will still be perfectly cold.
  • tedward likes this

#653 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 23 May 2018 - 03:41 PM

Every other brewery in town can fill them.

Is it simply that VIB won't fill them, or is there some sort of technological impediment? VIB does do growler fills, right?

#654 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 03:41 PM

What percentage of VIB's sales are growler? Probably negligible

Probably, because they’re near a whole pile of better breweries, in the middle of nowhere for the walking crowd, on a pedestrian unfriendly street, have mediocre beer as it is, and can’t fill specialty growlers. We live in beer Mecca. Why would someone go out of their way for mediocre beer?
  • Greg likes this

#655 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 03:42 PM

Is it simply that VIB won't fill them, or is there some sort of technological impediment? VIB does do growler fills, right?

Technological. They told me their new machine literally cannot fill them because of the wide mouth.

#656 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 23 May 2018 - 03:51 PM

^ Gotcha. Thanks!

#657 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 06:21 PM

Oh, no way regarding the coolness. Hmmm...

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#658 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 09:20 PM

Oh, no way regarding the coolness. Hmmm...

Ice. Cold. Beer. On the beach during an insanely hot day.
  • Mike K. and jasmineshinga like this

#659 EvnKas

EvnKas
  • 42 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 03:14 PM

Speaking of VIB, I just managed to get them on the main floor Milestones downtown as part of our new bar, as well as Lighthouse. 

• Mike K. and jasmineshinga like this

#660 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 28 May 2018 - 03:35 PM

VIB took home a silver for their Dominion Dark Lager at the Canadian Brewing Awards over the weekend.

Other south-island medalists include Moon Under Water (Gold - Farmhouse Gruit), Lighthouse (Silver - Seaport Vanilla Stout), Sooke Oceanside Brewery (Bronze - Bear Beach Baltic Porter), and Sooke Brewing Co. (Bronze - Gin Bourbon Barrel Aged Saison)

All said and done, BC took home about 1/3rd of the medal haul. Full list of winners is here: https://www.canadian...m/2018-winners/

Edited by Jackerbie, 28 May 2018 - 03:42 PM.

• Mike K. and jonny like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users