Victoria International Airport (YYJ)

• Please log in to reply
7636 replies to this topic

#3661 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 08:29 AM

Don't know about that. Just booked a flight on AC from YYJ to YVR because it was cheaper than taking the ferry! 

Well if that's the case more often than not, YYJ and AC need to scream that from the rooftops.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3662 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 15 February 2018 - 08:30 AM

That can be the case if you're looking at a flight for one person, and you're comparing vs taking a car across. Sometimes even as a walk-on the difference may only be $40. 

It's almost always going to be cheaper to take the ferry though - especially if you have more than 1 person travelling.

#3663 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 15 February 2018 - 08:32 AM

When I book, it's for 2 or 4 people typically. For a family of 4, walking onto the ferry isn't really a friendly option, so my comparison is the cost of the ferry with a car, + jetset parking (or a hotel with parking) at YVR. Even then, the ferry is usually cheaper than those 4 YYJ to YVR flights or legs.

Edited by lanforod, 15 February 2018 - 08:33 AM.

#3664 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 08:38 AM

When I book, it's for 2 or 4 people typically. For a family of 4, walking onto the ferry isn't really a friendly option, so my comparison is the cost of the ferry with a car, + jetset parking (or a hotel with parking) at YVR. Even then, the ferry is usually cheaper than those 4 YYJ to YVR flights or legs.

Correct. I was booking for 1 person. If you want to pack 4 people and their luggage on a bus and head over to YVR then that would be less expensive short of getting creative on routing.. 

Edited by spanky123, 15 February 2018 - 08:38 AM.

#3665 Freedom57

Freedom57
  • 87 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 09:34 AM

YYJ is a fantastic airport.  One of the most convenient and efficient (and I have been to many due to my job requirements).   It even has a Nexus lane (although it isn't always open.)   If you have to fly somewhere, it is a pleasure.  Of course there are always cheaper options than flying, but that is a different issue.

• shoeflack likes this

#3666 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 609 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 01:20 PM

VAA website is sporting a NEW logo, and color banner. Sign of things to come - still waiting for them to update a few areas on the website that have been dormant for many many months now.

Edited by Missed Approach, 15 February 2018 - 01:24 PM.

#3667 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 02:37 PM

The cost of the latest expansion has come in at $19 million and includes an even larger lower departures area than planned in early 2017. That was also when the budget was estimated to be in the vicinity of $10 to $12 million.

The new plan calls for not only a longer lower departures area than originally planned, but a wider one and a basement component for airport operations. Part of the increased costs is also attributed to the construction labour situation that's driving up budgets.

• Nparker and Missed Approach like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3668 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 02:59 PM

Also of note is Nanaimo's $55 million airport expansion is over a 20 year period. The first phase, which includes an increase to the parking lot and the passenger terminal. The cost of this phase is $14 million.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3669 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 609 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 03:10 PM

So all the drawings and pictures posted so far are out of date, as in not sowing the larger foot print and what ever else they are adding. I've been told the 27 month construction includes other phases like stage 4 and 5 on the master plan page.

The cost of the latest expansion has come in at $19 million and includes an even larger lower departures area than planned in early 2017. That was also when the budget was estimated to be in the vicinity of $10 to $12 million.

The new plan calls for not only a longer lower departures area than originally planned, but a wider one and a basement component for airport operations. Part of the increased costs is also attributed to the construction labour situation that's driving up budgets.

• jonny likes this

#3670 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 03:15 PM

That’s correct, the larger footprint of the terminal is not depicted in the images released to-date. Next week the VAA will be issuing a press release.
  • Kilo95 likes this

Know it all.

#3671 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 08:42 PM

There was some sort of a security breach today at the airport at around a quarter to four. All departing passengers had to be re-screened.
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

Know it all.

#3672 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 08:25 AM

Someone forgot to declare bullets in their baggage: http://www.timescolo...port-1.23177820

#3673 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 609 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 06:22 PM

New video up on the VAA YouTube page but shows again, just prep work for the new hold room. Only 25 seconds long over a few days taking a picture I guess once every half hour I guess.

I was out there late at night doing a family/friends pick up and noted just 4 guys working on the project. Took a few pictures, is anyone else on VV going to add pictures as it goes up like other projects in Victoria like buildings and the bridge? 

#3674 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 11:26 PM

Don't know about that. Just booked a flight on AC from YYJ to YVR because it was cheaper than taking the ferry! 

Hmm.  I just did a CYYJ-CYVR-NRT (Tokyo) flight with AC.  Booked out of Vic, 'cause it was cheaper than flying out of Van - and no ferry hassles, etc..

!!Except!! When I got to Tokyo, I found that the baggage numpties in Vancouver had somehow managed to leave my ski bag behind. (yes i saw it get on the plane in Vic, and no, the plane from Van wasn't anywhere near full)  Two days later, out of 14, the skis showed up.  ( A huge FU%K YOU!!  to AirCanada for that!)  

Not sure whether to book with another airline next time, or just go through YVR, to minimise the chance of baggage hassles..

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#3675 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 07:07 AM

Next time buy lost luggage insurance and go on a shopping spree on the other side. :)

Know it all.

#3676 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 08:16 AM

renderings of expansion

Image-31.jpg

Image-21.jpg

Image-1.jpg

http://www.officemb....room-expansion/
  • Mike K. and jonny like this

#3677 Kach

Kach

SteveK

• 277 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 01:13 PM

Interesting to note the renderings show a "Gate 11".  Oversight, or with this expansion, will there actually be additional gates?  YYJ currently numbers 10 gates...and the best I can tell, there is ramp parking for 10 aircraft, not counting the new parking that has been built stretching into the infield.

Actually now that I think about it...Gate 2 looks like it becomes a "swing" gate, accessible from either the lower or upper hold rooms.  That would make 11, but with still 10 physical parking spots.

#3678 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 03:48 PM

^^ dull
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#3679 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 04:17 PM

^^ dull

Affordable.

#3680 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 04:44 PM

When a very high percentage of travellers now have a notepad, why not a holder that swings out in front of the chair to hold it, to watch movies etc.?  For me that would be nice and comfrotable.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users