Victoria International Airport (YYJ)

• Please log in to reply
7636 replies to this topic

#3701 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,553 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 09:14 PM

Some years ago a parkade was considered, as was a hotel. This is going back to the early 00’s.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3702 Kach

Kach

SteveK

• 277 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 07:08 AM

I am wondering if a cell phone waiting lot is on the radar at all.  Not sure how full the short term lot gets, but I am seeing these types of lots - where someone waits in a car until texted by the person they are picking up - at a few airports.  

• lanforod and thundergun like this

#3703 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 March 2018 - 09:40 AM

^YYC has had this for a long time. It makes the pickup area turnover very efficiently.

#3704 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 609 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 10:56 AM

I am wondering if a cell phone waiting lot is on the radar at all.  Not sure how full the short term lot gets, but I am seeing these types of lots - where someone waits in a car until texted by the person they are picking up - at a few airports.  

There is one, but it's more of a small pull out, maybe three cars can fit in it, right at the base of that HUGE TV billboard 

#3705 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 07:05 PM

WestJet ordered to change hiring practices for new no-frills carrier
Air Line Pilots Association is negotiating first collective agreement with WestJet
  http://www.cbc.ca/ne...board-1.4565051

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 06 March 2018 - 07:06 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3706 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,553 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 05:07 AM

That explains why Jetline’s stock has catapulted in value since Friday and further exposes Westjet’s competition-killing then fold-Swoop-up strategy with the “two year leave of absence” offer for Westjet pilots willing to fly for Swoop.

How could Westjet brass not realize this would be the case? The rest of the industry did.
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3707 RPPB

RPPB
  • 198 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 07:29 PM

WestJet's CEO Gregg Saretsky resigned today effective immediately.

#3708 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,553 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 07:30 PM

Very bizarre, isn't it?

Know it all.

#3709 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 07:38 PM

^Not really. Saretsky's line in the sand was unionization, once the union came in he was done.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#3710 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,553 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 07:47 PM

Surely there are better ways to say goodbye. Westjet has been silent.

His departure happened immediately following the news that the union won’t allow Westjet pilots to take a leave of absence to fly for Swoop, neither will the regulator. Interesting.

Know it all.

#3711 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 09:11 PM

Actually he retired immediately effective today... but why would a CEO retire on a Thursday with no notice and (more importantly) without the customary cake and goodbye parties?

#3712 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 09:15 PM

Ya, that cake is cool.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3713 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 09:33 AM

Transport Canada has suspended Orca Airways' air operator certificate following repeated safety violations.

That's now both of the "minor" airlines out of YYJ that have had their licenses suspended in the past month; Orca and Island Express Air.

• Kilo95 likes this

#3714 Kilo95

Kilo95
  • 264 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 10:19 AM

Transport Canada has suspended Orca Airways' air operator certificate following repeated safety violations.

That's now both of the "minor" airlines out of YYJ that have had their licenses suspended in the past month; Orca and Island Express Air.

I flew with them twice last summer from YVR to Qualicum Beach. Such a different experience flying on these small little commuter planes compared to the major airlines.  

#3715 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 09:34 AM

...Vancouver was the No.1 airport in North America yet again, although its ranking dropped one place to 14th...

http://www.worldairp...ort_rating.html

https://www.cnn.com/...2018/index.html

#3716 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 12:01 PM

The Abbotsford International Airport is in the midst of a major expansion in an attempt to compete with a regional rival.

As many as one million passengers could fly out of YXX each year by 2020, according to Abbotsford Mayor Henry Braun.

"Our business plan is to become the lowest cost-based platform in Canada, if not North America," Braun said.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...-cost-1.4585411

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 25 March 2018 - 12:01 PM.

#3717 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 03:02 PM

A wannabe Red Baron pulling aerial stunts in a biplane over houses is just one example of recent nuisance flying in Pitt Meadows, say locals.

Since it opened in 1963, the small Pitt Meadows Regional Airport has been used by pilots of private planes, flight school students, helicopter pilots and even commuters.

But nearby residents, such as former city councillor Ken Joyner, say low-flying, noisy aircraft are aggravating residents.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...4591206?cmp=rss

#3718 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 609 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 08:36 PM

Orca Aiways website now has the Integra Air banner but the operations is being done by BAR XH Air.....

YYJ - YXX flights maybe restarting?

FULL REGULAR SCHEDULE
resumes April 02, 2018

**IMPORTANT UPDATE**
All Orca Airways Flights are now being operated by BAR XH Air. Bar XH Air is Canada's safest longest running airline going into its 63rd year of operations. Orca Airways Operating certificate has lapsed and we continue to operate our scheduled service under the new operations agreement.

#3719 Kilo95

Kilo95
  • 264 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 09:44 AM

Most recent timelapse video of the construction actually shows some progress now that they've dismantled the covered walkway leading to the tarmac

Edited by Kilo95, 05 April 2018 - 09:44 AM.

• Mike K. and Missed Approach like this

#3720 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 609 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 01:53 PM

I've tried to upload a few picture of the construction to this page but it just isn't happening. 

Also on the VAA website under projects, is road way improvements coming I guess when the weather improves.

Has anyone else heard any other news around YYJ, seems rather quiet lately. Just lots of construction noise.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)