Photo

Victoria International Airport (YYJ)

• Please log in to reply
7636 replies to this topic

#4101 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 11:23 AM

Of 10 job postings, 6 are in Sidney and 4 are in Calgary. 

#4102 ryno8097

ryno8097
  • 93 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 05:40 PM

Great to hear about increased capacity on the Toronto service next year. Anyone hear whether we will see direct service to Montreal again for 2019?

#4103 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 08:57 AM

Yes, it's coming next year as well. It looks like they'll be using a Rouge A319, Monday and Thursday departures.

• jonny likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4104 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 609 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 03:10 PM

Yes, it's coming next year as well. It looks like they'll be using a Rouge A319, Monday and Thursday departures.

AC Time table is showing the YYJ YUL is 14567 freq. starting in late June. (Thursday to Monday) that's up from the 3 times weekly last summer.

Today WS operated a non stop YYZ YYJ Flt. 815, one off? charter? 

AT Flt. 117 from PVR arrived this morning 12 hrs late (2045 arrival last night ) using their new leased A321..... that must have been a pisser of a night on the floor of the airport.

#4105 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 12:12 PM

YYJ to YUL will run again June 21 until Oct 14. Mostly 3x weekly, but they are going to as high as 6x weekly in August.

As for that WestJet flight that arrived from YYZ, WestJet doesn't fly any sked flights in the 800s, so likely a charter or training flight, or just deadheading a plane. It turned around pretty quickly and took a sked flight to Calgary. So might have just been a way to get an empty plane back from Ontario to base in Calgary while picking up a load along the way.

#4106 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 609 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 01:33 PM

YYJ to YUL will run again June 21 until Oct 14. Mostly 3x weekly, but they are going to as high as 6x weekly in August.

As for that WestJet flight that arrived from YYZ, WestJet doesn't fly any sked flights in the 800s, so likely a charter or training flight, or just deadheading a plane. It turned around pretty quickly and took a sked flight to Calgary. So might have just been a way to get an empty plane back from Ontario to base in Calgary while picking up a load along the way.

AC timetable is showing YYJYUL 21JUN19 to 14OCT19 as 14567 ( take a look for yourself unless you have something else published that's different ) I do see a few days in AUG where it is serving 2 and 3 Tues and Wed. Looks like this route has become popular enough. Surprised it isn't year round with a 3 times weekly in the winter.

WS operates 800's often and almost daily including the charters ( Flightradar24 and Flightaware show aircraft type in/outbound )

I did found out why the extra leg was put in as a charter.

Edited by Missed Approach, 18 November 2018 - 01:38 PM.

#4107 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 09:23 AM

AC timetable is showing YYJYUL 21JUN19 to 14OCT19 as 14567 ( take a look for yourself unless you have something else published that's different ) I do see a few days in AUG where it is serving 2 and 3 Tues and Wed. Looks like this route has become popular enough. Surprised it isn't year round with a 3 times weekly in the winter.

WS operates 800's often and almost daily including the charters ( Flightradar24 and Flightaware show aircraft type in/outbound )

I did found out why the extra leg was put in as a charter.

Just going off bookable dates available via Air Canada as of right now. For the most part they are operating 14567 per the timetable, but as I mention they do have weeks where they are as low as 3x weekly and as high as 6x. It might just be that they haven't released their full suite of flights just yet for sale, but that would be odd for them.

acyul.jpg

As for my comment about the WJA flight, I don't mean aircraft type (737-800). I mean 800-series flight numbers. They don't generally run scheduled flights in the 800s (i.e. WJA 815 from YYZ to YYJ). They have a specific numbering system for their flight numbers.

#4108 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 09:28 AM

Wow, they've expanded their direct flights since I last checked. I now see the week of July 15th there are four direct flights (Sun, Mon, Thurs, Sat) and earlier it was only Mon and Thurs.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4109 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 09:41 AM

Wow, they've expanded their direct flights since I last checked. I now see the week of July 15th there are four direct flights (Sun, Mon, Thurs, Sat) and earlier it was only Mon and Thurs.

Where are you checking? They also have one on Friday of that week.

#4110 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 09:42 AM

Weird, I was just on their website and it didn't provide an option for a direct flight on Friday.  :confused:

Know it all.

#4111 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 09:44 AM

Weird, I was just on their website and it didn't provide an option for a direct flight on Friday.  :confused:

They must not want you to fly!

acyul.jpg

#4112 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 12:30 PM

The question is, why would you subject yourself to Rouge when you can connect via YVR proper mainline aircraft without the horrible Rouge pitch?

Only adds about an hour, but it's way more comfortable.

If I need to travel on Rouge due to schedule etc I make sure I either pre-purchase a preferred seat (with "normal" leg room) or go Premium Rouge if it's in the budget.

#4113 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 12:46 PM

I dunno, AC has been putting the new 737MAX8 on the YVR-YUL route, and the seat pitch in economy on that plane is only an inch more than the Rough A319. I try to avoid that thing like the plague anytime I'm on the mainline.

You can try to be strategic and get the mainline A320 or A330 they run on that route with their 32 inch seat pitch. Best economy pitches in the fleet.

#4114 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 609 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 01:21 PM

Just going off bookable dates available via Air Canada as of right now. For the most part they are operating 14567 per the timetable, but as I mention they do have weeks where they are as low as 3x weekly and as high as 6x. It might just be that they haven't released their full suite of flights just yet for sale, but that would be odd for them.

acyul.jpg

As for my comment about the WJA flight, I don't mean aircraft type (737-800). I mean 800-series flight numbers. They don't generally run scheduled flights in the 800s (i.e. WJA 815 from YYZ to YYJ). They have a specific numbering system for their flight numbers.

Ah I see, yes I was going between two sources - its an odd sked but better than last summer, popularity of the route is rising. I see what you mean now about the 800 series flight numbers, my bad if I took that the wrong way. I found out the 800-1100 flt numbers are contract charter, oil patch, cruise ship and tour operator one off's

#4115 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 03:55 PM

I dunno, AC has been putting the new 737MAX8 on the YVR-YUL route, and the seat pitch in economy on that plane is only an inch more than the Rough A319. I try to avoid that thing like the plague anytime I'm on the mainline.

You can try to be strategic and get the mainline A320 or A330 they run on that route with their 32 inch seat pitch. Best economy pitches in the fleet.

Yeah, the MAX also sucks.

#4116 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 609 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 12:38 AM

Interesting how other airports in canada are moving forward with new services for the traveling public but victoria. same old - same old

kinda long interview but skip forward to 7:00 min mark for the new things coming to YXE and an explanation most of the public doesn't hear out fo the VAA. I like how YXE is moving forward with a proper pick up / drop off areas. I know they have a huge cab problem like YYJ. Wonder if they have better transit than here....

https://www.youtube....h?v=YvCs3f_ryDQ
  • Kilo95 likes this

#4117 Kilo95

Kilo95
  • 264 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 07:06 AM

Interesting how other airports in canada are moving forward with new services for the traveling public but victoria. same old - same old

kinda long interview but skip forward to 7:00 min mark for the new things coming to YXE and an explanation most of the public doesn't hear out fo the VAA. I like how YXE is moving forward with a proper pick up / drop off areas. I know they have a huge cab problem like YYJ. Wonder if they have better transit than here....

YYJ's communication department seems to be a bit lacking... 

On another note.. did anybody attend the consultative meeting on Oct 23rd? Curious if there was anything interesting said. Still waiting for the minutes to be posted on YYJ's website... over a month later  :whyme:

Edited by Kilo95, 25 November 2018 - 07:06 AM.

• Missed Approach likes this

#4118 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 609 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 03:48 PM

YYJ's communication department seems to be a bit lacking... 

On another note.. did anybody attend the consultative meeting on Oct 23rd? Curious if there was anything interesting said. Still waiting for the minutes to be posted on YYJ's website... over a month later  :whyme:

They hired a PR person over a couple months ago, has only made one public comment to the media and it was over the striking food services workers distancing themselves from Compus Food Group of Canada. I think they lack huge PR / media relations. Other smaller airports like YCD and YLW promote and support their carriers for bums in seats and services offered at the airport along with travel advisories and pictures of the going ons at the airport. VAA just auto tweets or RT's 

As for the meeting, I missed it and waiting for anything to be posted normally takes a while and someone reminding them to post it. I looked the power point presentation over from the CEO and it was mainly repeated repeated repeated slides from the years previous. It's super sad no one goes to these meetings except the odd senior citizen complaining about Cessna or sea king traffic.

I get the feeling the CEO is not a public person, very uncomfortable doing public talks and lacks drive and enthusiasm for the airport....."its exists and runs - don't touch it".  

• Kilo95 likes this

#4119 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 05:27 PM

I wish those meetings were held in a central location. The thought of having to go to Sidney to attend a meeting puts a lot of people off.
  • Missed Approach likes this

Know it all.

#4120 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 609 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 07:06 AM

They do have the odd one at the Delta Ocean Point Hotel at 7am, but it seems those are just for the business crowd and tourism operators - over the years the public that does show up to the ones in Sidney are a majority over the age 65.... and once pilots in the years gone by. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users