Photo

Victoria International Airport (YYJ)

• Please log in to reply
7636 replies to this topic

#4121 Kilo95

Kilo95
  • 264 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 03:39 PM

I emailed the VAA inquiring when the minutes would be posted. Received a reply saying they needed to be approved at the next board meeting and would be posted by mid-December.

#4122 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,604 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 06:55 PM

They hired a PR person over a couple months ago, has only made one public comment to the media and it was over the striking food services workers distancing themselves from Compus Food Group of Canada. I think they lack huge PR / media relations. Other smaller airports like YCD and YLW promote and support their carriers for bums in seats and services offered at the airport along with travel advisories and pictures of the going ons at the airport. VAA just auto tweets or RT's 

As for the meeting, I missed it and waiting for anything to be posted normally takes a while and someone reminding them to post it. I looked the power point presentation over from the CEO and it was mainly repeated repeated repeated slides from the years previous. It's super sad no one goes to these meetings except the odd senior citizen complaining about Cessna or sea king traffic.

I get the feeling the CEO is not a public person, very uncomfortable doing public talks and lacks drive and enthusiasm for the airport....."its exists and runs - don't touch it".  

Are they still flying? Perhaps the Sea Kings are a good metaphor for YYJ communication practices - old, (out)dated, and easily best experienced in a museum....

• Missed Approach likes this

#4123 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 07:44 PM

Yeah it is odd how little you see of the airport. You go to Vancouver and everywhere you look you see "Fly to Paris!" "Fly to Shanghai" etc etc all courtesy of the YVR comm shop...

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#4124 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 01:07 PM

Yeah it is odd how little you see of the airport. You go to Vancouver and everywhere you look you see "Fly to Paris!" "Fly to Shanghai" etc etc all courtesy of the YVR comm shop...

Heck, even wee little Nanaimo Airport does a better job at this. Every time you drive past the airport there they have a couple large highway signs promoting their routes.

#4125 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 609 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 03:15 PM

Heck, even wee little Nanaimo Airport does a better job at this. Every time you drive past the airport there they have a couple large highway signs promoting their routes.

YCD media does a great job connecting passengers via social media esp with their twitter - sports, shows or vacation destinations, they really make it know "you can fly YCD to get there"

I think YLW is good as well, YXS even has a mascot too!

YYJ is asleep at the switch, I know people who didn't know Delta even flew to Victoria. 

"Victoria is still a little puddle jumper airplanes to Vancouver only airport" is the impression of most in Victoria 

#4126 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 28 November 2018 - 03:48 PM

Is that YVR doing the promo though? All of the ones I have seen are airline or country specific. Air Canada has some here and there, but the ones that come to mind immediately are the numerous Air France, Iceland Air, and Allegiant ads, as well as some from tourism boards in Taiwan, Japan, China, etc.

#4127 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 06:45 PM

United used to have a giant billboard along the highway promoting their Frisco fight. I haven’t seen anything like that since.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4128 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 609 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 11:45 PM

Random thought hit me tonite, how many fun in the sun flights has WJ cut out of YYJ, this article sumed it up.

Gone so far is Las Vegas, Phoneix ( was there one or am I thinking of PSP ) and HNL ....

Number of YEG flights is down to 2 daily on 12345, and 1 on the weekend operated by a Encore Q400

Yet YLW is saturated with Sun/Fun destinations and domestic routes by AC/WJ/FA and charters.....go figure.

Spoke and wheel system they say - will everything soon be Encore 

https://www.timescol...emand-1.2310730

#4129 Kilo95

Kilo95
  • 264 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 12:54 AM

Random thought hit me tonite, how many fun in the sun flights has WJ cut out of YYJ, this article sumed it up.
Gone so far is Las Vegas, Phoneix ( was there one or am I thinking of PSP ) and HNL ....

Yeah.. there used to be a PHX flight as well. Started seasonally in 2011, can’t remember how long it lasted. Announced here:

http://www.victoriaa...phoenix-service

Back in the day (2006?) Delta also used to have service via SLC. Seems overall there has been a significant reduction in transborder destinations.. which will continue as UA leaves in 2019.

Edited by Kilo95, 29 November 2018 - 12:55 AM.

#4130 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 10:25 AM

Number of YEG flights is down to 2 daily on 12345, and 1 on the weekend operated by a Encore Q400

Yet YLW is saturated with Sun/Fun destinations and domestic routes by AC/WJ/FA and charters.....go figure.

Spoke and wheel system they say - will everything soon be Encore 

https://www.timescol...emand-1.2310730

Regarding YLW, as I've said it before here, they have a much larger market for winter travel. YYJ is far behind YLW in that regard.

There is a much higher percentage of people in the Okanagan who fly south for the winter than there is on the South Island, not to mention the reverse group of folks looking to ski. Victoria is nice enough in the winter to keep more locals in town, yet still ugly enough not to attract a ton of visitors. Population fluctuations in the Okanagan between summer and winter are pretty outrageous, and that all leads to why YLW has more winter sun/fun destinations...and does well with them. That all being said, really the only difference between YLW and YYJ is that YLW has two additional sun destinations on WestJet. Their Air Transat and Sunwing service is essentially the same.

Victoria can really only sustain the charter-style vacation flights, thus the Air Transat, Sunwing, and WestJet Mexico destinations that are typically wrapped up nicely in a week-long vacation beau.

#4131 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 29 November 2018 - 11:26 AM

The exchange rate doesn't help flights to warm US destinations.

#4132 ryno8097

ryno8097
  • 93 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 12:44 PM

Go to Comox... you can fly seasonally to Varadero, Fort Lauderdale, Las Vegas, Palm Springs, and Puerto Vallarta direct.  Yes that's right - you heard me correctly - Comox Airport offers direct seasonal service to Cuba and the southeast of the U.S. of A.

Victoria gets shafted with the lack of direct service.  Last winter we (family of four) flew Air Transat to Puerto Vallarta, but we flew from Vancouver as it saved us 33% for one week.  I am of firm belief that these airlines are not wanting to fly out of Victoria.  Even with two overnights and transport to/from YVR we came out with $1100 in our pockets.

#4133 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 01:14 PM

Go to Comox... you can fly seasonally to Varadero, Fort Lauderdale, Las Vegas, Palm Springs, and Puerto Vallarta direct.  Yes that's right - you heard me correctly - Comox Airport offers direct seasonal service to Cuba and the southeast of the U.S. of A.

Victoria gets shafted with the lack of direct service.  Last winter we (family of four) flew Air Transat to Puerto Vallarta, but we flew from Vancouver as it saved us 33% for one week.  I am of firm belief that these airlines are not wanting to fly out of Victoria.  Even with two overnights and transport to/from YVR we came out with $1100 in our pockets.

That's simply not true. WestJet has a seasonal flight to PV, but I have no idea who is operating these supposed Cuba and US flights from Comox (unless the Royal Canadian Air Force has some luxe flight charters?). Care to shed some light?

#4134 Kilo95

Kilo95
  • 264 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 01:22 PM

^

The YQQ website lists these destinations on their website as “5 Sun Destinations from Comox”, but I don’t think they’re implying that they are non-stop flights. As far as I know, a seasonal WS flight to PVR is their only sun destination.

Edited by Kilo95, 29 November 2018 - 01:22 PM.

• shoeflack likes this

#4135 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 609 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 02:19 PM

^

The YQQ website lists these destinations on their website as “5 Sun Destinations from Comox”, but I don’t think they’re implying that they are non-stop flights. As far as I know, a seasonal WS flight to PVR is their only sun destination.

I can see how that looks like non stop to those destinations but https://www.comoxairport.com/routes explains it abit better, with great connections via ……. YVR/YYC/YEG. WJ only offers PVR for YQQ over the winter....

#4136 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 02:54 PM

I just flew from YYJ to PVR direct via WestJet

Delightful
  • Matt R. likes this

#4137 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 07:20 PM

Direct or non-stop?

You can fly direct from YYJ to many places by making a stop in YVR or SEA.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#4138 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 08:07 PM

Direct or non-stop?

You can fly direct from YYJ to many places by making a stop in YVR or SEA.

I only know of two true "direct" flights out of YYJ. Direct, of course, meaning that flight numbers don't change, or the plane continues on elsewhere without you having to get off. The only true "direct" flights out of YYJ that are like this is Pacific Coastal to Cranbrook (makes a stop in Vancouver) and Air North to Whitehorse (makes a stop in Kelowna). No other airlines out of YYJ market any direct, multi-stop flights. 

But to answer your question, WestJet runs a once-weekly non-stop flight to PVR from YYJ.

Edited by shoeflack, 29 November 2018 - 08:10 PM.

#4139 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 08:09 PM

Don’t some of Westjet’s Edmonton flights continue on to several other cities and you just remain on the plane? I flew from Toronto that way once and the return had a similar stopping arrangement. But I don’t know if flight numbers changed.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4140 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 08:20 PM

They used to do this quite a bit. I remember way back when the WestJet flight to Toronto operated Victoria-Kelowna-Toronto both ways. WestJet now doesn't even let you stay on the plane if their fleet schedule lines up like this...they even use direct and non-stop interchangeably now in their marketing. But ya, you used to see that quite a bit on departure boards where multiple cities would show for a flight. Now you're more likely to see multiple airlines attached to a flight for codeshares.

Flair still does this though with most of their routes.

Edited by shoeflack, 29 November 2018 - 08:24 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)