Photo

Victoria International Airport (YYJ)

• Please log in to reply
7625 replies to this topic

#5001 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 08:00 PM

Spoke to someone who was on this flight. Apparently it was quite the gaggle of geese. He said one of the engines blew in addition to the nose damage. CHEK has a nice photo of a pickup truck full of the culprits.

Damn geese!

Oh my - that is quite the photo. Methinks they might get complaints about that!

#5002 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 08:14 PM

More importantly there were only 31 passengers on board? Geez Louise.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5003 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 08:18 PM

I don’t get it. You got a plane full of customers wanting to be transported from Calgary to Victoria.

You are within spitting distance of YYJ on final approach when a gaggle of geese kick the crap out of the plane and scare the same crap out of the customers.

Then instead of landing on the runway right below you.... you fly the banged up jet to Vancouver because that’s where the mechanic lives??

To hell with the customers?? They can always take the ferry home?? What am I missing?
  • todd likes this

#5004 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 08:19 PM

Ok maybe it wasn’t “full of customers”.

#5005 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 08:22 PM

What about the geese?

#5006 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 08:30 PM

What about the geese?

Look at the pic on the Check web site.....

#5007 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 08:34 PM

I guess nicely cooked by the time they get through the engine

#5008 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 08:37 PM

Looked more shredded to me. 

• todd likes this

#5009 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 08:51 PM

I don’t get it. You got a plane full of customers wanting to be transported from Calgary to Victoria.

You are within spitting distance of YYJ on final approach when a gaggle of geese kick the crap out of the plane and scare the same crap out of the customers.

Then instead of landing on the runway right below you.... you fly the banged up jet to Vancouver because that’s where the mechanic lives??

To hell with the customers?? They can always take the ferry home?? What am I missing?

Way easier and cheaper to put those passengers on the next few pond hoppers (which are running regardless) than to have your plane stuck in Victoria and have to bring in a mechanical crew/parts/etc. WestJet has no maintenance capabilities in YYJ, unlike the plenty they have at YVR. If it were Kelowna, no big deal as they can use Kelowna Flightcraft, but nothing at YYJ.

#5010 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,685 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 08:51 PM

What about the geese?

I guess nicely cooked by the time they get through the engine

Looked more shredded to me. 

In the future this won't happen anymore, since we will all be eating a plant-based diet - or maybe I don't quite understand how that works.  :blink:

#5011 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 08:55 PM

In the future this won't happen anymore, since we will all be eating a plant-based diet - or maybe I don't quite understand how that works.  :blink:

And the hypnosis enhanced VR goggles
  • Matt R. likes this

#5012 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,016 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 11:22 PM

^ hypnosis? More like micro dosed.

Matt.

#5013 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 15 January 2020 - 09:01 AM

You'd think they'd build those noses out of something that won't dent from a bird impact at 550 kph. Carbon fiber?

Edited by lanforod, 15 January 2020 - 09:01 AM.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#5014 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,685 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 09:04 AM

They need to build them out of the "black box" material.

#5015 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 604 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 02:30 PM

YLW, ( Kelowna ) posted their Year End Passenger numbers, still cracked 2 million and still holding onto 10th place I'm sure.

Unless we deand a recount after fluffing the numbers last year.

https://ylw.kelowna....acts-statistics

#5016 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 02:54 PM

You'd think they'd build those noses out of something that won't dent from a bird impact at 550 kph. Carbon fiber?

Carbon fiber shatters but aluminum just dents. You don't want carbon fiber shards sucked into the engine.

• lanforod likes this

#5017 tanker

tanker
  • Banned
  • 575 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 03:08 PM

ozw6yabu3gr11.png?width=640&crop=smart&a

The only explanation for that damage is what we've known all along.

• Bernard, todd and Victoria Watcher like this

#5018 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 05:47 PM

A few closer-up pictures of the goose-strike damage from the ramp at YVR... those with delicate constitutions may wish to turn away. 

Attached Images

• image1.jpeg
  • image2.jpeg
  • image3.jpeg
  • image4.jpeg

#5019 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 07:55 PM

Might have something to do with the emergency capabilities of CYYJ, also?  Can't remember if CYYJ has full-time CFR personnel, whereas CYVR does.

The weather radar is behind that nosecone - it needs a radar transparent material; Carbon fiber may not be so..

A few closer-up pictures of the goose-strike damage from the ramp at YVR... those with delicate constitutions may wish to turn away. 

Looks like they bent a fan blade in the engine, also..

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#5020 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 604 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 01:43 AM

YYJ has CFR, 3 vehicles, 2 at night and I believe the hours are 6am to midnight, same as the tower. But if a flight with more than 90 passengers lands, they have to stay on duty.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Missed Approach