Victoria International Airport (YYJ)

• Please log in to reply
7636 replies to this topic

#5261 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 08 May 2020 - 08:34 AM

They will.

Perhaps in 10+ years if AC follows its current fleet strategy. The 45 A220s on order/delivered are only targeted to the mainline and AC does not typically acquire brand new aircraft for Rouge (save for a handful of A321s a few years ago). It's more likely that Rouge will continue to take on the aging A319/20/21s from the mainline fleet as more A220s are introduced over there, and Rouge shifts to narrow-body only service.

#5262 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 08 May 2020 - 10:09 AM

The 220 isn't a high density aircraft. It's designed for long, thin routes.

That's not Rouge's sandbox.

• shoeflack likes this

#5263 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 08 May 2020 - 04:39 PM

I highly doubt Rouge will be a going concern any longer.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#5264 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 08 May 2020 - 07:26 PM

I think Rouge Swoop Porter Sunwing Flair and Transat are done for.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#5265 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 08 May 2020 - 08:43 PM

And in comes Jetlines!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5266 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 10 May 2020 - 05:57 AM

I'm noticing fewer planes in the air. Does anybody know anyone that's flown lately? I'm curious why. I only know of one family--husband got a new job back east which disappeared on arrival due to the virus and now they're back in Victoria.

#5267 tanker

tanker
  • Banned
  • 575 posts

Posted 10 May 2020 - 08:11 AM

I've noticed non commercial flights aren't happening either. It's even rare to see a Cessna flying. I'm guessing the flying club is closed?

#5268 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 10 May 2020 - 08:14 AM

Old man shouts at cloud. Hey......

I'm noticing fewer planes in the air..

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 10 May 2020 - 08:15 AM.

#5269 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 10 May 2020 - 01:35 PM

I think Rouge Swoop Porter Sunwing Flair and Transat are done for.

Rouge will be folded into the greater AC umbrella, as will Swoop into WJ.  Sunwing is an interesting one, as it's owned by a hotel/tourism company.  People are saying that they won't fly right now, but I have a suspicion that once the short days, monsoons and blizzards arrive, that resolve will crumble, people will mask and glove up, and head off to Puerto el Sol Paradiso for two weeks of sunburn and bacchanalia.  Once business travel comes back, then Porter will be ok.  Flair and Transat who knows..

I'm noticing fewer planes in the air. Does anybody know anyone that's flown lately? I'm curious why. I only know of one family--husband got a new job back east which disappeared on arrival due to the virus and now they're back in Victoria.

I've heard way less chat on the radio over the last several weeks, although there has been an increase over the last two..

I've noticed non commercial flights aren't happening either. It's even rare to see a Cessna flying. I'm guessing the flying club is closed?

VFC is closed, yes.

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#5270 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 10 May 2020 - 05:35 PM

WestJet says it is extending many flight cancellations into early July as it continues to deal with record-low passenger numbers due to COVID-19.

In late April, the Calgary-based carrier said it was cancelling some 18,000 flights between May 5 and June 4.

An announcement from WestJet on Sunday says domestic route suspensions will continue through July 4, and that several domestic seasonal routes also won't begin until July.

It further says it is extending its temporary transborder and international route suspensions through to June 25.

https://www.timescol...-low-1.24132914

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 10 May 2020 - 05:36 PM.

#5271 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 10 May 2020 - 05:38 PM

VFC is closed, yes.

Not exactly. The club remains open but training flights are on hold due to the impossibility of "social distancing" in the cockpit. Club aircraft are still available for rent for flights and management, dispatch and maintenance are still working full-time. The Dakota Cafe is also open but for take-out only.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#5272 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 06:12 AM

Yup, a friend flew on a VFC Cessna just the other day.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5273 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 08:03 AM

Yup, a friend flew on a VFC Cessna just the other day.

Must have been a windy flight. It's generally recommended that folks ride in the aircraft.  ;)

• North Shore and todd like this

#5274 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 06:34 PM

Barn storming is funner when standing on the wings!
  • todd likes this

Know it all.

#5275 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 04:18 PM

Air Canada to lay off 20,000 workers
The layoffs come into effect June 7, and will impact nearly half the company's workforce of 38,000. The airline has cut capacity by 95 per cent due to border closures and travel restrictions amid the pandemic.

#5276 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 08:07 AM

Stock up 11%.

Know it all.

#5277 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 08:33 AM

Stock up 11%.

Yep. Nothing like firing or laying off a whack of workers to get investors excited!

#5278 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 20 May 2020 - 11:47 AM

Pacific Coastal - Return to Service

To our valued customers:
We are pleased to confirm that we will be resuming scheduled service on June 1, 2020. It’s important to note that we will not be returning to “normal operations” as we will be offering a reduced schedule with many enhanced safety practices to ensure the health and well-being of our customers, staff and the communities that we serve.

Our intention is to help provide air service for essential service workers, move important goods and cargo, provide access for customers who need to travel for various medical appointments (unrelated to COVID-19) and continue to offer remote communities access to the essential service of air travel should they require it.

Know it all.

#5279 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 07:02 AM

Our governments have been telling us to stay home because Canada is in lockdown. Travel has been restricted between provinces — Ottawa residents haven’t been able to visit their cottages in Quebec until this week; people in Pointe-a-la-Croix, Que. still can’t cross the Restigouche River to see family in Campbelltown, N.B.

Yet travelling by air is still a thing. While the volume of travellers is down more than 90 per cent on last year in the seven weeks to May 19, there were still 269,501 arrivals at the four Canadian airports open to international travel (Toronto, Montreal, Calgary and Vancouver).

The question about a lockdown that is not a lockdown is particularly relevant as restrictions start to ease. Transmission of COVID-19 from travellers and those exposed to travellers constituted more than 90 per cent of cases in mid-March, before community transmission took hold.

Travel now accounts for 20 per cent of all cases, according to the Public Health Agency, but that will surely rise as trans-border travel returns. Airlines are already planning to increase the frequency on their international routes. Lufthansa has announced it will resume more regular service between Frankfurt and Toronto starting in June.

- https://nationalpost...vid-19-lockdown

Know it all.

#5280 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 21 May 2020 - 10:53 AM

^ Re: YVR, there has been a noticeable decrease in air traffic, particularly the small planes. Heavies are still coming and going but most are carrying cargo on the passenger decks apparently. Notably, China Southern has moved an A380 onto their route once a week.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users