Victoria International Airport (YYJ)

• Please log in to reply
5364 replies to this topic

#5361 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 58,543 posts

Posted 12 October 2020 - 08:40 AM

Any landing you walk away from is a good one. Good job, pilot.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5362 Rob Randall

Rob Randall

C'mon man, cut out the malarkey

• 13,612 posts

Posted 12 October 2020 - 09:09 AM

In the official lingo it's called an aviation incident. If someone is killed or injured or there is substantial damage to the airframe it's officially called an accident. A bent prop is not considered serious damage. If the plane had flipped over then it would have gone from incident to accident. 

https://www.bst-tsb....ccurrences.html

Tune in next week for another exciting episode of Aviation Pedantry.

Edited by Rob Randall, 12 October 2020 - 09:11 AM.

"[Randall's] aesthetic poll was more accurate than his political acumen"

-Tom Hawthorne, Toronto Globe and Mail

#5363 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 11,075 posts

Posted 12 October 2020 - 09:25 AM

Looks like a SOP (standard operating procedure) when one or more of the retractible landing gears do not extend.

When I was taking flying lessons, one Saturday morning while taxiing to the active runway with my instructor beside me, we were told by ground control to " hold short of runway XX" and pull to the side of the taxiway as there was an incoming aircraft in distress. "There will be a delay"

So an aircraft similar to the vintage one in the picture above was experiencing difficulty lowering one of his wheels. We switch to the traffic control frequency and listened as the tower gets the plane to fly low by the tower where the air traffic controller looks at his landing gear through binoculars and confirms to the pilot that sure enough one of the wheels did not extract. 

So the air traffic controller instructs the pilot to climb into the circuit, retract the two wheels that did employ and then land on the grass beside the runway on his fuselage. 

Which the pilot did...right directly in front of us. Boy what a smooth landing. The pilot gets out of his plane, the fireman gets out of his truck....walks over and gives the pilot a high five.

Priceless.

• Mike K. and SimonH like this

#5364 VIResident

VIResident
  • 703 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 14 October 2020 - 06:56 AM

WestJet slashing service to Eastern Canada as pandemic restrictions make markets ‘unviable’

The route suspensions announced on Wednesday include Halifax-Sydney, Halifax-Ottawa, Moncton-Toronto, Fredericton- Toronto Charlottetown-Toronto, St. John’s-Toronto and Quebec City-Toronto. As of Nov. 2, WestJet’s only services to Eastern Canada will be flights to Halifax from Calgary, St John’s or Toronto.  https://www.theglobe...c-restrictions/

#5365 North Shore

North Shore
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 14 October 2020 - 09:10 AM

No injuries as vintage plane crashes at Victoria International Airport

Vintage?!  It was built in 1975!  I was built earlier than that, and as Val Kilmer/Doc Holliday says in 'Tombstone' : "I'm in my prime!"

• Victoria Watcher likes this
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)