Victoria International Airport (YYJ)

• Please log in to reply
7625 replies to this topic

#5361 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 12 October 2020 - 08:40 AM

Any landing you walk away from is a good one. Good job, pilot.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5362 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 12 October 2020 - 09:09 AM

In the official lingo it's called an aviation incident. If someone is killed or injured or there is substantial damage to the airframe it's officially called an accident. A bent prop is not considered serious damage. If the plane had flipped over then it would have gone from incident to accident. 

https://www.bst-tsb....ccurrences.html

Tune in next week for another exciting episode of Aviation Pedantry.

Edited by Rob Randall, 12 October 2020 - 09:11 AM.

• Matt R. likes this

#5363 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 12 October 2020 - 09:25 AM

Looks like a SOP (standard operating procedure) when one or more of the retractible landing gears do not extend.

When I was taking flying lessons, one Saturday morning while taxiing to the active runway with my instructor beside me, we were told by ground control to " hold short of runway XX" and pull to the side of the taxiway as there was an incoming aircraft in distress. "There will be a delay"

So an aircraft similar to the vintage one in the picture above was experiencing difficulty lowering one of his wheels. We switch to the traffic control frequency and listened as the tower gets the plane to fly low by the tower where the air traffic controller looks at his landing gear through binoculars and confirms to the pilot that sure enough one of the wheels did not extract. 

So the air traffic controller instructs the pilot to climb into the circuit, retract the two wheels that did employ and then land on the grass beside the runway on his fuselage. 

Which the pilot did...right directly in front of us. Boy what a smooth landing. The pilot gets out of his plane, the fireman gets out of his truck....walks over and gives the pilot a high five.

Priceless.

• Mike K., Matt R. and SimonH like this

#5364 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 14 October 2020 - 06:56 AM

WestJet slashing service to Eastern Canada as pandemic restrictions make markets ‘unviable’

The route suspensions announced on Wednesday include Halifax-Sydney, Halifax-Ottawa, Moncton-Toronto, Fredericton- Toronto Charlottetown-Toronto, St. John’s-Toronto and Quebec City-Toronto. As of Nov. 2, WestJet’s only services to Eastern Canada will be flights to Halifax from Calgary, St John’s or Toronto.  https://www.theglobe...c-restrictions/

#5365 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 14 October 2020 - 09:10 AM

No injuries as vintage plane crashes at Victoria International Airport

Vintage?!  It was built in 1975!  I was built earlier than that, and as Val Kilmer/Doc Holliday says in 'Tombstone' : "I'm in my prime!"

• Victoria Watcher likes this
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#5366 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,852 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 04:13 PM

WestJet to provide refunds (not just credits) for flights cancelled due to pandemic

Until now, most customers of Canadian airlines have received only travel vouchers

The Calgary-based airline said it will begin contacting all eligible flyers with WestJet and Swoop on Nov. 2. It will begin with those whose flights were cancelled in March 2020 at the onset of the pandemic, to offer refunds in the original form of payment.

The process is expected to take six to nine months, the company said. It asked customers to wait to be contacted, in order to avoid overloading its call centre. 

"We are an airline that has built its reputation on putting people first," said Ed Sims, WestJet president and CEO, in an emailed release.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 October 2020 - 04:17 PM.

#5367 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,338 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 21 October 2020 - 05:43 PM

I'm still waiting for AC to give me my voucher!

#5368 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,014 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 11:05 PM

We cancelled our flights to Tokyo three days before departure, and we got full cash refunds in a matter of days. What’s the deal with WestJet and air Canada not giving refunds? I would be enraged!

Matt.

Edited by Matt R., 21 October 2020 - 11:05 PM.

#5369 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,852 posts

Posted 22 October 2020 - 02:23 AM

twitter flight fight!

https://twitter.com/...063117591121925

#5370 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,852 posts

Posted 22 October 2020 - 05:47 AM

Air Canada is offering a rare opportunity for people to fly on their fleet of all-business class planes.

The airline said it will use their four Airbus 319 Jetz aircrafts, which are configured with only 58 business class seats and no economy, on popular routes this winter.

Air Canada normally uses these planes for professional sports teams, popular musical groups on tour and corporate clients on a charter basis.

https://toronto.ctvn...lanes-1.5154601

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 October 2020 - 05:47 AM.

#5371 tanker

tanker
  • Banned
  • 575 posts

Posted 22 October 2020 - 07:04 AM

The refund thing is why these two should get no bailouts. It's also partially responsible for their current woes. I booked a WestJet flight this summer and they cancelled my flight the next day and gave me a voucher. You see customers don't like being outright scammed.
  • Matt R. and Barrrister like this

#5372 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 22 October 2020 - 07:43 AM

We cancelled our flights to Tokyo three days before departure, and we got full cash refunds in a matter of days. What’s the deal with WestJet and air Canada not giving refunds? I would be enraged!

Matt.

I had flights cancelled right at the beginning of this whole thing, in late March. United issued a credit immediately (which expires in March of next year, so I anticipate a fun telephone wrestling match) and WestJet says they issued a credit in June but I haven't received it yet. So, another fun telephone wrestling match there...

• Matt R. likes this

#5373 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 604 posts

Posted 01 November 2020 - 08:18 PM

Short lived Flair Air time at YYJ Airport departed for the last time today...… read comments on a airport fan face book page that most passengers were thru traffic to Fort Mac.

Another victim of Covid or poor YYJ passenger numbers...

Took the VAA no time to de list them as a carrier and on their destination page 

Edited by Missed Approach, 01 November 2020 - 08:20 PM.

#5374 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 01 November 2020 - 08:19 PM

Wow, so that’s it?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5375 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 604 posts

Posted 02 November 2020 - 09:19 PM

Wow, so that’s it?

Who knows, maybe returning in late 2021...….

#5376 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,852 posts

Posted 03 November 2020 - 03:11 PM

Max Ward, a Canadian aviation pioneer who went from flying bush planes to creating his own charter airline, has died.

Family friend Jacquie Perrin says Ward collapsed yesterday at his home in Edmonton and died shortly after in hospital, surrounded by his family and 20 days short of his 99th birthday.

https://www.timescol...t-98-1.24232640

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 November 2020 - 03:11 PM.

#5377 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 03 November 2020 - 06:16 PM

That's sad to hear. 

I met the man in the early 2000's when I was on a crew restoring his Twin Otter after a crash. Right hand prop went through the fuselage just behind the co-pilot's seat where his wife was sitting. I'm sure he heard about that later!  ;)

Edited by exc911ence, 03 November 2020 - 06:17 PM.

• Sparky and Victoria Watcher like this

#5378 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 03 November 2020 - 08:00 PM

The first jet I ever flew on was a Wardair 747 from Vancouver to London Gatwick on a family trip to Britain; it featured real food including a real thick steak, real utensils (honest!) and real linen napkins. And yes it was a million years ago, in 1974. 

• FogPub likes this

#5379 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 03 November 2020 - 08:12 PM

^Wow, nowhere to go but down from there. My dad flew to every corner of the globe and said Wardair was tops.

#5380 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 November 2020 - 10:45 PM

The first jet I ever flew on was a Wardair 747 from Vancouver to London Gatwick on a family trip to Britain; it featured real food including a real thick steak, real utensils (honest!) and real linen napkins. And yes it was a million years ago, in 1974. 

The first jet flight I was old enough to remember was the same one, only in 1970.

Edited by FogPub, 03 November 2020 - 10:46 PM.

• AllseeingEye likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users