Photo

Victoria International Airport (YYJ)

• Please log in to reply
7631 replies to this topic

#5521 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 10:08 AM

^ Are there *that* many people in YVR that want to go to Istanbul?  Is it a hub for eastern Europe or the Med?

When I think of Turkey, I think of half-naked, sweaty, rotund men, wearing a fez, beating the heck out of your back while you lie face-down on a marble slab in a steam-filled room!

Edited by North Shore, 04 May 2021 - 10:10 AM.

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#5522 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 10:45 AM

^ Are there *that* many people in YVR that want to go to Istanbul?  Is it a hub for eastern Europe or the Med?

When I think of Turkey, I think of half-naked, sweaty, rotund men, wearing a fez, beating the heck out of your back while you lie face-down on a marble slab in a steam-filled room!

Turkish Airlines is known for it's expansive network. You can connect through Istanbul to a number of destinations that would overwise be an extra stop.

They are a Star Alliance carrier so have connectivity with AC on this side.

#5523 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 04 May 2021 - 11:28 AM

^ Are there *that* many people in YVR that want to go to Istanbul? Is it a hub for eastern Europe or the Med?

Istanbul just opened a new airport in 2018. The old airport was one of the busiest in Europe.

#5524 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 12:36 PM

Luxury. I used to dream of being beaten by a fat sweaty man. /s

#5525 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 07:43 PM

Istanbul is a great city to be a tourist in, Blue Mosque, Grand Bazaar. Cappadocia, Topkapi castle etc.

• Mike K. and Matt R. like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#5526 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,924 posts

Posted 07 May 2021 - 02:44 PM

Air Canada's chief executive is calling on the federal government to eliminate the mandatory hotel quarantine and implement a reopening plan that will allow international travel to and from Canada.

Michael Rousseau, Air Canada's chief executive officer, urged Ottawa to act and introduce a reopening plan, "because air transport is a central pillar in the nation's infrastructure."

"It is time to develop and communicate a reopening plan for international travel to and from Canada. After 14 months of restrictions, Canadians who we know are eager to travel want and deserve clear guidelines," Rousseau told analysts on a conference call on Friday following the release of first-quarter results.

https://ca.finance.y...-160010504.html

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 May 2021 - 02:44 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#5527 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 07 May 2021 - 02:47 PM

Nothing wrong with a plan. But it boggles my mind that some people think it is sensible for a location that isn't allowing indoor dining to allow incoming flights filled with passengers travelling for a non-essential purpose.

#5528 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 07 May 2021 - 02:52 PM

If one accepts the premise there's a logical reason to ban indoor dining.

#5529 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,924 posts

Posted 07 May 2021 - 02:53 PM

Nothing wrong with a plan. But it boggles my mind that some people think it is sensible for a location that isn't allowing indoor dining to allow incoming flights filled with passengers travelling for a non-essential purpose.

28 million Canadians live in jurisdictions that do not even allow outdoor dining.  and that might go up tonight depending on what Manitoba announces at 4pm today.  Quebec has a 9:30pm daily curfew and Ontario is under a stay-at-home order 24/7.  Nova Scotian families must designate one shopper - you can't even grocery shop with other family members.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 May 2021 - 02:59 PM.

• Matt R. likes this

#5530 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,924 posts

Posted 07 May 2021 - 03:10 PM

28 million Canadians live in jurisdictions that do not even allow outdoor dining.  and that might go up tonight depending on what Manitoba announces at 4pm today.  Quebec has a 9:30pm daily curfew and Ontario is under a stay-at-home order 24/7.  Nova Scotian families must designate one shopper - you can't even grocery shop with other family members.

and there we go.

make it 29 million.

Restaurants, bars, patios closed to in-person dining as of Sunday under strict new Manitoba health orders

https://www.cbc.ca/n...itoba-1.6017754

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 May 2021 - 03:11 PM.

#5531 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 May 2021 - 10:26 PM

I don't understand why international air travel has been allowed for any non-absolutely-essential reason* for the last entire year.  Closed borders should mean closed borders, full stop; and if international travel had been properly shut down since about last April our case counts across the country would likely have been lower all along, and with much less concern about variants coming from elsewhere.

* - business trips of any kind don't count as essential, nor do vacations (yes, politicians, that means you too).

#5532 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,924 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 03:18 PM

Unconfirmed reports on social media suggest there has been a shooting at the airport.

CTV News has reached out to YVR and Richmond RCMP for more information.

https://bc.ctvnews.c...ittermanualpost

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 09 May 2021 - 03:18 PM.

#5533 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,924 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 05:49 PM

A man has been shot and killed near the domestic departure terminal at the Vancouver International Airport on Sunday (May 8) afternoon.

The roads in and out of Richmond were briefly closed just before 4 p.m. Sunday (May 9) as a result of a police incident.

A video on social shows a victim on the ground being attended to by paramedics and shot gun shells on the ground. Another video, posted shortly after 3 p.m., shows people hiding from a suspected shooter.

https://www.vicnews....d-to-avoid-yvr/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 09 May 2021 - 05:49 PM.

#5534 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 07:35 PM

^The police chased a car fleeing the scene, got him stopped in Richmond where the guy shot at police and escaped.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#5535 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,924 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 08:04 AM

Six years ago, Surrey RCMP warned people to steer clear of gangster Karman Grewal after he and his friends were shot at but refused to cooperate with police.

On Sunday, Grewal, who was associated to the United Nations gang, was gunned down in a brazen public execution at Vancouver International Airport.

https://nationalpost...99-cbfda0bf2884

Sources told Postmedia that sometimes those involved in organized crime arrange meetings at the airport as it is considered safe territory

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 10 May 2021 - 08:04 AM.

• Matt R. likes this

#5536 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 06:48 PM

^ Gosh, what a crying shame.

Parasites upon society.  I didn't spare any thoughts for the poor Covid virus when I got my inoculation 'shot' - why should I be worried when society gets its virus shot?

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#5537 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 606 posts

Posted 12 May 2021 - 10:45 PM

Annual Public General Meeting - Virtual

Please join the the Victoria Airport Authority for a virtual Annual Public General Meeting on:

Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 1:30 PM (PDT)

Agenda

2020 Annual Report (To be posted May 13, 2021)
Due to COVID-19 restrictions on public gatherings, this year's meeting will be live streamed.  Please click on the image below to register.

www.victoriaairport.com

#5538 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,924 posts

Posted 13 May 2021 - 06:49 AM

Two small airplanes collided in midair Wednesday near Denver, leaving one aircraft nearly ripped in half and forcing the pilot of the other to deploy a parachute attached to the plane to land safely. Remarkably, no one was injured, officials said.

Both planes were getting ready to land at a small regional airport in a Denver suburb when they collided mid-morning, according to the National Transportation Safety Board and South Metro Fire Rescue.

https://www.foxnews....ver-no-injuries

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 May 2021 - 06:49 AM.

#5539 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 606 posts

Posted 15 May 2021 - 12:26 PM

VAA - 2021 AGM

https://www.youtube....h?v=xWLVOfUINOc

• Mike K. likes this

#5540 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 15 May 2021 - 04:50 PM

Anything notable, MA?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users