Victoria International Airport (YYJ)

• Please log in to reply
7641 replies to this topic

#5781 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 08 March 2022 - 03:38 PM

^ does it go to SEATAC or to Lake Washington?

#5782 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 08 March 2022 - 03:40 PM

Lake Union. They'll connect you to LW or SEATAC, though.

• Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5783 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,083 posts

Posted 08 March 2022 - 04:13 PM

^ does it go to SEATAC or to Lake Washington?

The tricky part is landing at SeaTac with those (wheel-less) pontoons.

• Nparker, Matt R. and lanforod like this

#5784 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 08 March 2022 - 04:21 PM

Lake Union. They'll connect you to LW or SEATAC, though.

Sadly, no more shuttle to SEA.

Shuttles between SEA and the Seaplane terminals are not expected to return.  

https://www.kenmorea...ou-fly/find-us/

#5785 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 08 March 2022 - 08:53 PM

Oh no! That’s too bad.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5786 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 08 March 2022 - 10:08 PM

Oh no! That’s too bad.

Honestly, I don't know how much use it would have seen.

I have considered it in the past, but the uncertainty of weather / flight delays & limited flight schedules kept me away. Your Kenmore flight gets fogged out, no realistic alternative to catch your flight from SEA. Or coming back, if your flight into SEA gets delayed, Kenmore won't wait and you're likely staying overnight.

The one time where it made sense for me to fly out of Seattle I took the Clipper and stayed at an airport hotel. If Clipper is cancelled due to weather they make alternative arrangements to get you there - eg they charter a coach and take you via the Coho or BC Ferries. No similar arrangement on Kenmore.

• Mike K. likes this

#5787 FogPub

FogPub
  • 982 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 March 2022 - 12:26 AM

Sadly, no more shuttle to SEA.

https://www.kenmorea...ou-fly/find-us/

I'm not sure how close it passes to where Kenmore docks down there, or whether there's a convenient station, but the rapid-transit line runs to SeaTac now.  Fast and cheap if you can get to it from the Kenmore dock.

#5788 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 09 March 2022 - 03:25 PM

^ I actually checked that. You do need to transfer via a bus.

#5789 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 09 March 2022 - 05:53 PM

How often are you really going to find a flight that's so much cheaper out of Seattle, that you can add $500 r/t for Kenmore and still end up ahead? And is that really worth your time? Plus the weather issue and limited schedule? 

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#5790 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 09 March 2022 - 05:54 PM

The Kenmore flight is great if you are going to Seattle, or planning on spending some time there on part of a larger trip. But realistically I think it's mostly people coming to Victoria from Seattle.

• Missed Approach and Victoria Watcher like this

#5791 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,083 posts

Posted 09 March 2022 - 05:57 PM

The Kenmore flight is great if you are going to Seattle, or planning on spending some time there on part of a larger trip. But realistically I think it's mostly people coming to Victoria from Seattle.

Agree, and a great time.

#5792 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 611 posts

Posted 09 March 2022 - 08:55 PM

Well stats for YYJ & YLW ( Kelowna ) have been posted awhile ago, yet YQB ( Quebec City ) hasn't for the year ending 2021.

YYJ posted just 673,748 enplaned passengers while YLW came in 200K more with 829,804.

A lot of those passengers are oil and gas destined workers.

YLW also has 5 more regular domestic and 1 more international destinations served non stop than YYJ. 

YBQ hasn't posted any numbers since 2020 but also include terminal and general aviation numbers, meaning FBO passengers enplanes. FBO is where biz and private aircraft arrived and depart from.  

So YYJ remains in 11th or slipping more each year towards 12th place in Canada 

#5793 Kilo95

Kilo95
  • 264 posts

Posted 10 March 2022 - 06:30 AM

Well stats for YYJ & YLW ( Kelowna ) have been posted awhile ago, yet YQB ( Quebec City ) hasn't for the year ending 2021.

YYJ posted just 673,748 enplaned passengers while YLW came in 200K more with 829,804.

A lot of those passengers are oil and gas destined workers.

YLW also has 5 more regular domestic and 1 more international destinations served non stop than YYJ. 

YBQ hasn't posted any numbers since 2020 but also include terminal and general aviation numbers, meaning FBO passengers enplanes. FBO is where biz and private aircraft arrived and depart from.  

So YYJ remains in 11th or slipping more each year towards 12th place in Canada 

I miss the days of the DL and UA connections into SEA and SFO :( The SFO connection was particularly useful, but I understand the economics of re-deploying the aircraft elsewhere. Not that it's onerous to connect in YVR given the USCBP Pre-Clearance facilities, but it was nice to have more options than just Air Canada, WestJet, or Alaska. 

I think for the foreseeable future we'll see the continued funnelling of flights into YVR (AC) and YYC (WS). It makes more sense for the airlines to draw people into their large hubs, at least with current passenger numbers. I don't see things rebounding significantly until the testing requirements are lifted on the Canadian side. Sure, it's one thing to get a test before your trip to the states or elsewhere... but there's still that lingering "what if I test positive on the way home?" that is holding some back from making cross border trips. 

Edited by Kilo95, 10 March 2022 - 06:33 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#5794 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 10 March 2022 - 10:11 AM

^

Don't forget that Alaska codeshares with American on the route. So we also have access to single ticketing & connections to American's network.

• Nparker likes this

#5795 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 10 March 2022 - 11:12 AM

I think for the foreseeable future we'll see the continued funnelling of flights into YVR (AC) and YYC (WS). It makes more sense for the airlines to draw people into their large hubs, at least with current passenger numbers. I don't see things rebounding significantly until the testing requirements are lifted on the Canadian side. Sure, it's one thing to get a test before your trip to the states or elsewhere... but there's still that lingering "what if I test positive on the way home?" that is holding some back from making cross border trips. 

True although from what I am hearing from buddies who are travelling is that fake or self-administered tests are now commonplace in most popular destinations.

#5796 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 938 posts

Posted 10 March 2022 - 12:03 PM

True although from what I am hearing from buddies who are travelling is that fake or self-administered tests are now commonplace in most popular destinations.

Don't forget that anyone can also get randomly selected to conduct a COVID test after they cross the border into Canada. Friend of mine got selected last week — even though he had already uploaded proof of triple-vaccination on ArriveCAN and had proof of a negative antigen test 24 hours before crossing into Canada — and we wasted three hours dealing with LifeLabs, who had to watch him swab his nose via Microsoft Teams. He was back in the USA before LifeLabs had the results.

It's that kind of BS that stops some from travelling ... and helps explain why anger against useless restrictions is spreading.

Edited by Jacques Cadé, 10 March 2022 - 12:04 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#5797 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 10 March 2022 - 12:06 PM

Totally. It’s a farce now.

Now watch as passports are ended to make sure visiting Americans keep BC bars busy.

Know it all.

#5798 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 10 March 2022 - 12:23 PM

...Now watch as passports are ended to make sure visiting Americans keep BC bars busy.

And so that Albertans spend some of their petro bucks on Canada's left coast.

But it's all about the science.

#5799 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 10 March 2022 - 12:50 PM

There we go. Vax passport over April 8th.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#5800 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 10 March 2022 - 01:46 PM

There we go. Vax passport over April 8th.

Just before the first cruise ship?!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users