Victoria International Airport (YYJ)

• Please log in to reply
7636 replies to this topic

#6681 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 04 April 2023 - 03:32 PM

^

They don't have A220s, they operate 320s.

Fact check aside, it's not a bad idea.

Toronto to Vancouver/Calgary are super oversaturated.

Makes way more sense to deploy the aircraft where they can make money.

When they are ready to serve the route, maybe Flair or someone else will have given up.

#6682 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 04 April 2023 - 03:34 PM

Lynx Air celebrates one year

Meanwhile, Calgary-based Lynx Air will celebrate one year of flying on Friday. Since its initial flight to Vancouver, it has welcomed more than 620,000 passengers and is ramping up to 250 flights a week for the summer.

While Calgary remains its biggest hub, the airline also has a second hub in Toronto, with flights across Canada and to sun destinations.

Its latest expansion includes Montreal and Fredericton as destinations. Merren McArthur, president and CEO of Lynx, said there is significant opportunity in Eastern Canada with a lack of ultra low-cost carriers in the region.

Its fleet is set to grow from six Boeing 737 Max airplanes to 10 by the end of 2023, and orders have been confirmed for another 36 to be delivered by the end of 2028.

“There’s plenty of room to grow,” said McArthur. “The low-cost carrier model is the most profitable airline model in the world right now. So we’re feeling very positive about it.”

https://calgaryheral...mer-lynx-growth

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 April 2023 - 03:35 PM.

#6683 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 609 posts

Posted 13 April 2023 - 11:15 AM

Some WestJet news, again keeping its focus on the west...... but after deep looking, nothing NEW for YYJ other than adding 2 times a week service to YWG over the summer, only cause Flair did.....

https://canadianavia...st-growth-plan/

#6684 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 609 posts

Posted 19 April 2023 - 03:24 PM

Well, this is interesting .....

https://canadianavia...-air-in-canada/

• Nparker likes this

#6685 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 19 April 2023 - 11:20 PM

“A March 11 flight from Kelowna to Toronto averted catastrophe when the Air Canada Airbus A321 had to abort a landing at Pearson due to a landing gear malfunction, with limited fuel burning away and urgency growing by the minute.”

https://dailyhive.co...5bx7b5hqLYypuRg

The back up is just a lever they pull and let gravity do the work? Seems too simple.

#6686 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 20 April 2023 - 08:15 PM

^Well it's a little more than that, but it is definitely not "catastrophic" but a headline about alternate gear selection method wouldn't sell papers.

Edited by LJ, 20 April 2023 - 08:16 PM.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#6687 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 21 April 2023 - 03:16 AM

Police are investigating a gold heist at Toronto Pearson International Airport, a location often used to ship gold mined in the province of Ontario.

Canadian officials say more than C$20m ($15m; £12m) of gold and valuables were stolen on Monday 17 April.

The "high-value" aircraft container arrived at the airport in the evening and was transported to a cargo holding facility.

Police believe that is where the heist took place.

The theft could mark one of the bigger heists in Canadian history, including the 2011 and 2012 Great Canadian Maple Syrup Heist, when 3,000 tonnes of syrup valued at $18.7m were stolen from a storage facility in Quebec.

Peel Regional Police inspector Stephen Duivesteyn said their team is investigating "all avenues" and described Monday's incident as "isolated" and "rare".

He said the aircraft container was about 5 sq ft in size, but declined to say how much it weighed.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 April 2023 - 03:17 AM.

#6688 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 609 posts

Posted 21 April 2023 - 02:00 PM

More Flair Air service changes, reductions and cancelations ( YYJ included )

https://www.aerorout...eng/230419-f8ca

#6689 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 22 April 2023 - 02:29 AM

I don't recall ever seeing 9 weekly YYJ-YEG flights in their schedule.

Edit: I think that might be a misprint. Believe the previous schedule was daily to Edmonton. So the only change impacting YYJ is dropping the Tuesday & Saturday Edmonton flights. There were some flight time changes as well, the Calgary flights have moved to late afternoon instead of late evening. 

Edited by vortoozo, 22 April 2023 - 02:41 AM.

• Missed Approach likes this

#6690 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 23 April 2023 - 10:33 AM

I guess they saw my complaint about the timing of those Calgary flights lol
  • Nparker likes this

#6691 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 609 posts

Posted 23 April 2023 - 01:14 PM

I don't recall ever seeing 9 weekly YYJ-YEG flights in their schedule.

Edit: I think that might be a misprint. Believe the previous schedule was daily to Edmonton. So the only change impacting YYJ is dropping the Tuesday & Saturday Edmonton flights. There were some flight time changes as well, the Calgary flights have moved to late afternoon instead of late evening. 

You're right, there wasn't planned 9 weekly..... at the peak of the summer I think I saw 8  weekly.

Lynx today is already 6 hours late, now departing to YYC at 0045 hrs Monday morning .......

#6692 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 23 April 2023 - 05:16 PM

You're right, there wasn't planned 9 weekly..... at the peak of the summer I think I saw 8  weekly.

Lynx today is already 6 hours late, now departing to YYC at 0045 hrs Monday morning .......

3.5 hours late, scheduled departure time is 9:15pm.

#6693 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 24 April 2023 - 08:37 AM

Either way, 95% of connections will be missed and will likely result in the passenger having to purchase a new ticket as other airlines are under no obligation to re-book the flight.

Discount airlines are great if you are booking point to point and don't mind being a few hours (a day) late. 

Edited by spanky123, 24 April 2023 - 08:37 AM.

#6694 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 24 April 2023 - 08:39 AM

Either way, 95% of connections will be missed and will likely result in the passenger having to purchase a new ticket as other airlines are under no obligation to re-book the flight.

Lynx / Flair do not sell connecting flights.

I doubt anyone would purchase a separate connection either given the perceived reliability concerns with these carriers and scheduled arrival time of nearly midnight. There's not really much to connect to at that time.

#6695 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 24 April 2023 - 09:43 AM

We're a massive country. In Europe these airlines might make more sense than they ever will here, maybe?
  • vortoozo likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6696 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 24 April 2023 - 11:40 AM

Lynx / Flair do not sell connecting flights.

I doubt anyone would purchase a separate connection either given the perceived reliability concerns with these carriers and scheduled arrival time of nearly midnight. There's not really much to connect to at that time.

That was my point. If the flight is late and you were planning to connect somewhere else you are SOL

#6697 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 24 April 2023 - 12:38 PM

That was my point. If the flight is late and you were planning to connect somewhere else you are SOL

There are no logical connections at that time of night. The last flight to leave YYC is at 1am, and this one arrives just before midnight. Booking something on a separate ticket you'd want to leave 2 hours between flights, especially if checked luggage is involved. I guarantee you there was no one on the delayed flight that missed a connection.

#6698 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 24 April 2023 - 12:57 PM

Like i said a while back, these late evening flights into Calgary are just lousy for multiple reasons. Morning is better, shift to late afternoon they apparently are doing is at least an improvement.
The only reason late night is okay is for business travelers going point to point, but Lynx and Flair are leaving too many possible customers aside going that late. 

• Missed Approach likes this

#6699 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 609 posts

Posted 24 April 2023 - 01:06 PM

Yes, 3 hours, blindly hit the 6 when aiming for the 3 on the number pad.

Flair has contracted JetLines to help their network this summer, operating the YWG <> YYZ route daily with a leased A320 from JetLines.

#6700 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 24 April 2023 - 04:58 PM

Like i said a while back, these late evening flights into Calgary are just lousy for multiple reasons. Morning is better, shift to late afternoon they apparently are doing is at least an improvement.
The only reason late night is okay is for business travelers going point to point, but Lynx and Flair are leaving too many possible customers aside going that late. 

Everyone travelling on those carriers is flying point to point. I suspect not many are business travellers.

The evening flights are great for people looking for a quick weekend getaway, on either side. I'm booked on the Lynx flight in a few weeks for precisely that reason. I'm going again later in June, and for price reasons I booked the earlier Flair flight, but I'm going to have to leave work early that day to make it work. That's not always feasible.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users