Photo

Victoria International Airport (YYJ)

• Please log in to reply
7637 replies to this topic

#6721 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 28 April 2023 - 03:43 PM

Interesting that they're a 1-stop. Would customs be done in Orcas Island or upon final destination? 

Orcas Island no doubt. It looks like they have a customs office.

#6722 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 28 April 2023 - 07:56 PM

I wonder why we never developed a more comprehensive air transport system here in BC. People will drive for 4-5 hours to Tofino, for instance. There are flights, but they’re limited and expensive, and few people choose that option.

Tofino is a nightmare for sched flights - weather can get really crappy out there...

• Mike K. likes this
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#6723 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 28 April 2023 - 08:54 PM

When was the AIF reduced?

Fewer passengers since COVID, not that the fee itself was reduced.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6724 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 610 posts

Posted 02 May 2023 - 10:42 PM

Annual Public General Meeting and Consultative Committee

2023 Annual Public General Meeting

Date:  Thursday, May 11 , 2023. Time:  7:00 p.m.

Location:  Mary Winspear Centre, 2243 Beacon Avenue, Sidney, BC

The event is RSVP tho, which after 3 yrs of on line and open to submitted questions from the public, this is the first time they have NOT had a open door policy at the AGM. I feel they are gate keeping when RSVP is required before coming. 

#6725 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 11 May 2023 - 11:24 AM

Lynx is offering 75 cent flights to Calgary June 1st to 30th. Discount code is “mom”.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6726 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 11 May 2023 - 12:34 PM

Nothing really new here, same price on Flair without a promo code for many days this month and nearly all of next month. And Flair flies daily, whereas Lynx is 3x per week. Works out to $24.01 after AIF, fees and GST on Flair, and $24.02 on Lynx with the promo code or $24.28 on Lynx without the promo code.

I'm flying to Calgary tomorrow evening. The Lynx and Flair flights are within 40 minutes of each other. Lynx has had a lot of reliability problems on the Victoria route lately so I ended up just buying one ticket on each. I'll take whichever starts boarding first. Have the largest possible "Personal item" bag that fits within the guidelines and is big enough to get me through the weekend, so no extra fees for baggage etc.

• Missed Approach likes this

#6727 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 610 posts

Posted 11 May 2023 - 02:16 PM

I feel like Lynx is in full panic mode to fill seats to so investors see bums in seats on these routes and seat sales are working.

IF this is a last straw attempt, I don't see them around at YYJ for many more months. Load factors are still very low out of YYJ lately. 

Edited by Missed Approach, 11 May 2023 - 02:30 PM.

#6728 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 11 May 2023 - 02:54 PM

I feel like Lynx is in full panic mode to fill seats to so investors see bums in seats on these routes and seat sales are working.

IF this is a last straw attempt, I don't see them around at YYJ for many more months. Load factors are still very low out of YYJ lately. 

That's been their normal pricing, the current sale is network wide and they have frequent/regular sales.

When I bought the seat a month ago it was $5 base fare, $28 all in.

Like Flair they hope you purchase the add ons. They certainly don't make money with $1/$5 base fares.

The prices do yield up once more seats are sold. But if you look at Flair, even tomorrow's flight is still $25 all in (actually $24.01), I guess they round up on the rate calendar. A few dates with higher pricing but not many.

I've been preaching how unsustainable this business model is for a while on this thread, this is a perfect example.

Capture.PNG

#6729 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 11 May 2023 - 02:56 PM

Here's Lynx for comparison - no promo code since the "mom" sale is just for June.

Capture2.PNG

#6730 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,083 posts

Posted 11 May 2023 - 03:05 PM

What is a “mom”? Don’t they mean a birthing person?

https://montreal.ctv...rents-1.6393858

https://toronto.ctvn...icism-1.6391209

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 11 May 2023 - 03:07 PM.

#6731 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 15 May 2023 - 02:51 PM

Update re: my weekend trip to Calgary.

I had purchased a $28 fare on Lynx, and then after seeing several of the flights severely delayed over the past few weeks purchased a $24 fare on Flair operating 40 minutes later as insurance.

Both flights operated approx 15 minutes late, so I took the originally booked Lynx flight which was the first one to go. It was approx 30% full. Flair flight was maybe 35% full judging by the seat map when I checked in.

A few places where Lynx stands out:

If you don't purchase a seat, Lynx' algorithm that assigns you a seat seems to be more customer friendly. People were assigned seats spread out throughout the cabin, mainly in windows or aisles. Flair's system appears to be set up to penalize people who don't pay to select seats. I was assigned a middle seat in the third last row when I checked in for the Flair flight, and noticed a whole cluster of seats on the seat map at the back of the cabin, presumably from others that didn't pre purchase seats. Despite many rows being empty. The flight attendants on Lynx also encouraged people to move about the cabin to any row other than the exit rows, if they desired. But due to the light load and how spread out we were, I didn't notice anyone move.

Lynx also offers a complimentary water service (from bottled water). Nothing else available to purchase. IIRC from last time I took Flair, everything on Flair is paid - while they have more options, you have to shell out your credit card for anything including water. On a short route like Victoria - Calgary, Lynx has the advantage here.

My return flight was from Edmonton and on Westjet. I did notice, however, that the Lynx flight from Victoria to Calgary was operating about an hour and a half late last night, and the Flair flight was about 3 hours late. Looks like they're still both working through their reliability issues.

#6732 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 15 May 2023 - 07:56 PM

Don’t you get dinged for not showing up to your flight?

Know it all.

#6733 LJ

LJ
  • 12,746 posts

Posted 15 May 2023 - 08:00 PM

No, they only care if you checked baggage and don't show up for your flight.

• Mike K. likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#6734 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 15 May 2023 - 11:10 PM

Don’t you get dinged for not showing up to your flight?

I lost my $24. If I had a return flight on the same ticket, I would have lost that too. But I didn't.

#6735 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 15 May 2023 - 11:17 PM

WestJet pilots on Monday issued a 72-hour strike notice to the airline’s management and the federal government, starting a final countdown for walkouts as contract talks drag on.

Pilots are now poised to begin strike action at 3 a.m. ET (1 a.m. MT) Friday unless a deal is reached, the union said.
In a statement this week, the Calgary-based airline said its pilots are among the best paid in Canada, but that a contract on par with those recently secured by some U.S. pilot groups would be financially unworkable and put the company’s future at risk.

“This expectation is not reasonable and is impeding the WestJet Group’s ability to reach an agreement in advance of the upcoming long weekend.,” the company said in a statement Monday night.

In response to the strike notice, the airline issued lockout notice.

WestJet pilots issue 72-hour strike notice after failing to reach deal, airline announces lockout | Globalnews.ca

A Westjet strike will have a disproportionate impact on airports like YYJ where WS has a high proportion of flights.

If travelling on Westjet during the long weekend it might be wise to seek a refund now and make plans on another airline before fares increase and seats sell out. Westjet is offering free cancellations/changes currently for flights from today through May 21st: Guest Updates | WestJet official site

#6736 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 610 posts

Posted 16 May 2023 - 09:34 AM

A lot of mis information out there today about this, not including is this strike action is by the mainline pilots, not Encore.

I mentioned this to a media outlet this morning, and was told they are the same thing. 

If this does happen, and I'm pretty sure it will, for a few days. Look out Flair and Lynx .... dust off those spare seats .... yikes!

#6737 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 16 May 2023 - 09:50 AM

^ The union rep was on Global this morning and stated that Encore would NOT be affected.

#6738 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 610 posts

Posted 16 May 2023 - 09:58 AM

^ The union rep was on Global this morning and stated that Encore would NOT be affected.

Yes, some are getting it right, others think West Jet is ALL West Jet in this situation and FB is exploding with passengers freaking out. 

I know Encore is only operating to YVR and YLW right now, and over the winter covered many of the flights to YYC and YEG. I don't know if they would pick up on those routes but also respect the picket lines, if the main line carrier pilots do walk lines.

#6739 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 16 May 2023 - 11:46 AM

Yes, some are getting it right, others think West Jet is ALL West Jet in this situation and FB is exploding with passengers freaking out. 

I know Encore is only operating to YVR and YLW right now, and over the winter covered many of the flights to YYC and YEG. I don't know if they would pick up on those routes but also respect the picket lines, if the main line carrier pilots do walk lines.

Encore is short on crews, they don't have capacity to pick up additional flights and still fly their existing schedule.

#6740 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 16 May 2023 - 01:44 PM

Look out Flair and Lynx .... dust off those spare seats .... yikes!

That didn't take long :)

Capture.PNG

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users