Victoria International Airport (YYJ)

• Please log in to reply
7575 replies to this topic

#6761 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 580 posts

Posted 30 May 2023 - 07:13 PM

Jazz is extremely short on crews.

They've been pulling back the schedule on a rolling basis.

Currently in June, unless you leave before 10am, you're looking at a 3 hour + connection at YVR just to get to many regional BC cities like Kelowna, Prince George, etc. The same flight scheduling cuts impacting YYJ are impacting the other airports too.

For a flight to Kelowna next month initially I booked a connection of an hour. Then, a Kelowna flight got cut which resulted in a 2 hour connection. About a month ago, the 7:25pm flight out of YYJ got cut so they put me on the 6pm, with a 3 hour 15 minute connection.

Certainly there weren't 13 daily fights to YVR last summer, though. The schedule we have now I believe still has more frequency than last year.

They are very short, my connection at Jazz ( a senior pilot ) said look for changes coming with aircraft use-age and more mainline taking over trans boarder runs from Jazz.

YLW has CRJ 900 service several times a day now to YVR, a 45 min hop replacing Dash 8  ( plus seasonal 737Max during ski season )

Kinda curious, does PCA's non stop flight to YLW not work for you, or Ecore?

My type-o, I meant to say, 2 years ago, before COVID, there was on avg ~ 13 flts a day to YVR on AC Express ( Jazz ) 

Edited by Missed Approach, 30 May 2023 - 07:15 PM.

#6762 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 30 May 2023 - 10:15 PM

Kinda curious, does PCA's non stop flight to YLW not work for you, or Ecore?

Pasco's last flight is around 4pm. I don't finish work in time for that.

I booked with Aeroplan miles, and get an included bag because of my Aeroplan credit card. If the schedule had been as it is now, I would likely saved the miles for something else and booked WS on the outbound. It was a reasonable use of miles with a one hour connection, not so appealing with 3 hours +.

• Missed Approach likes this

#6763 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 580 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 08:34 AM

This was posted by Aero Routes 

No YYJ related changes or cuts, but very interesting seeing where AC mainline and Jazz are changing things up across the border from coast to coast

https://www.aerorout...230530-acnw23us

#6764 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 09:57 AM

^ The loss of the Calgary - Vegas and Calgary - Phoenix routes during the winter will impact a number of locals. Looks like they are forfeiting those routes to Westjet.  

#6765 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 580 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 10:24 AM

^ The loss of the Calgary - Vegas and Calgary - Phoenix routes during the winter will impact a number of locals. Looks like they are forfeiting those routes to Westjet.  

WestJet has trimmed some of those routes too from YYC. It's the Flair and Lynx taking a cut, but I see Flair is also cutting some US and Mexico routes too in the fall from reports on www.aeroroutes.com site. 

#6766 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 01:43 PM

Flair and Lynx may be good options if you live in Calgary but they are not reliable enough to rely on for any connections.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#6767 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 05:56 PM

Don't forget, AC removed YYJ-YYC. Doubt anyone would double connect to begin with, so I don't see how this would impact locals.

Vancouver - Phoenix actually gets a second daily, so in this case that would be a net benefit to someone local.

#6768 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 03 June 2023 - 11:49 PM

Air Canada’s forthcoming fleet of Airbus A321XLR jets will coddle North American and trans-Atlantic passengers in 14 private lie-flat business class suites, which will also reflect a fresh, warmer and even more Canadian take on the airline’s ‘look and feel’.

We’ve ordered 30 A321XLRs and those aircraft will allow us to serve destinations across the Atlantic as well as within North and Central America,” Mark Nasr, Air Canada’s Executive Vice President Marketing and Digital, tells Executive Traveller.

“We're currently expecting our A321XLRs starting in 2025 so we’re working right now on a brand new Signature Class product for the XLRs.”

https://www.executiv...-business-class

These XLRs are interesting.  They can fly Vancouver to London.   11 hours or 4,700 miles.

screenshot-aircraft.airbus.com-2023.06.04-03_52_05.png

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 June 2023 - 11:53 PM.

#6769 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 04 June 2023 - 06:05 AM

I recently flew London to Vancouver in 9.5 hours.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#6770 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 04 June 2023 - 06:19 AM

I recently flew London to Vancouver in 9.5 hours.

Yes.  I was just pointing out that this has the range (previously unknown for a narrow body jet).  It too would likely get you there in 9.5 hours.

Airbus reported 4,603 orders for the A321 family at the end of November 2022. The A321XLR version will provide the capability to serve transatlantic flights into central Europe from New York. It can also accomplish long hauls from the US to Latin America. With its economic advantage, the sizable order book for the aircraft is understandable.

Unfortunately, Boeing has no offering that competes with the A321neo for long-range narrow-body operations. The table above shows that United’s 757-200s cost over 24% more than JetBlue’s A321NX. The 737 MAX family lacks the range for most transatlantic operations and lacks the A321 payload.

https://airinsight.c... understandable.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 June 2023 - 06:22 AM.

#6771 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,240 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 04 June 2023 - 06:20 AM

Yeah was about to say. That’s should get you to Rome.

#6772 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 04 June 2023 - 06:38 AM

That means, they can also fly YYJ to London.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6773 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 04 June 2023 - 06:52 AM

That means, they can also fly YYJ to London.

They can also fly Nanaimo to Manchester.

Hold on one minute!

In the case of the A321neo, taking off with ~100 tons requires approximately 2800 m ( 9000 ft ) of runway at sea level.

https://www.airliner...c.php?t=1427599

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 June 2023 - 06:53 AM.

• Matt R. likes this

#6774 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 04 June 2023 - 06:54 AM

That sounds like a threat.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6775 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 04 June 2023 - 06:55 AM

They can also fly Nanaimo to Manchester.

Hold on one minute!

In the case of the A321neo, taking off with ~100 tons requires approximately 2800 m ( 9000 ft ) of runway at sea level.

https://www.airliner...c.php?t=1427599

No no no. That’s not right. They can operate with much, much lower runway lengths.

Know it all.

#6776 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 04 June 2023 - 07:04 AM

Good thing Mike is not in charge of the airport.

"Thanks for all gathering here today, ladies and gentlemen, to see the first narrow-body jet flight to England.  Now let's all watch as this plane takes off toward and over Sidney!"   :thumbsup:

*** sound of the plane crossing the Pat By Highway, wheels still on the ground ***  300 foot fireball rises over debris ***

"Beautiful, thanks for coming out.  Pro tip: those heading to the ferry might want to take West Saanich.  Transport Canada staff and dignitaries in attendance here, we have great hotels at Mt. Newton for your extended, unexpected stay"

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 June 2023 - 07:11 AM.

#6777 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 04 June 2023 - 07:07 AM

I was hoping there would be one logical response in your link, and there was. Look:

Minimum takeoff field lengths are usually set by Vmcg considerations so the important parameters are takeoff thrust, vertical tail area, and aft body length. For weights below the Vmcg critical level, TOFL is virtually constant.

https://www.boeing.c...esources/boeing ... 2lr3er.pdf

See Figures 3.3.1-20. Note that for the same takeoff conditions, the 777-300ER has a lower minimum TOFL compared to the 777-200LR at the same takeoff weight, showing the effect of aft body length.

Generally, minimum TOFL's will be in the 4000' to 5000' range.

Know it all.

#6778 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 04 June 2023 - 07:08 AM

Ya, I know.  But if it's got the fuel for that far it might not be in the typical range (4000-5000).  We shall see.

#6779 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 04 June 2023 - 11:50 AM

Coming down Johnson now
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#6780 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 06 June 2023 - 11:02 AM

From YYJ:

Uber, the largest rideshare company in Canada, has launched its service at Victoria International Airport (YYJ), giving travellers another safe, affordable, and reliable transportation option at their fingertips.

“Just in time for a busy summer season, we are excited to bring rideshare to more British Columbians. Residents and visitors coming through YYJ now have a safe, affordable, and reliable option to help get them where they need to go, when they need to,” said Michael van Hemmen, General Manager of Uber Canada. “And for those with a safe driving record, a flexible opportunity to earn money on their own time. We’d like to thank the city governments in both cities, the province, and Victoria Airport Authority for their support in bringing ridesharing to Victoria and Kelowna.”

“The airport is pleased to welcome Uber,” said Geoff Dickson, Victoria Airport Authority President and CEO. “It’s been a long journey for Uber to operate in Greater Victoria. With air travel continuing to rebound at YYJ, we welcome the addition of this popular ground transportation option for our travellers.”

Uber’s Victoria-area service extends to Greater Victoria, from Langford to downtown Victoria and out to the Saanich Peninsula including the Swartz Bay ferry terminal.

Travellers just need to download the Uber – Request a ride app to their mobile device and sign up as a rider to begin.

At YYJ, passengers will find designated rideshare pick-up stalls along the curb in the Short Term parking lot. For drop-off, rideshare vehicles will use the same drop-off areas that taxis and other vehicles use.
  • DavidSchell likes this

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users

GaryOak, vortoozo