Photo

Victoria International Airport (YYJ)

• Please log in to reply
7635 replies to this topic

#6641 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 608 posts

Posted 20 March 2023 - 10:10 PM

That’s true, but there are multiple Dash 8 flights to Vancouver from Comox, plus the smaller Coastal flights from Campbell River, and multiple flights from Nanaimo.

Keep in mind, YQQ does have direct service to Calgary and Edmonton and WJ trialing direct YYZ once a week service this summer. Nanaimo also has Calgary and Edmonton service with AC doing a couple days a week to YYZ.

Both Nanaimo and Comox WJ service to Vancouver has been replaced with WestJet Link Saab 340's, so just 33 seats

Edited by Missed Approach, 20 March 2023 - 10:12 PM.

#6642 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 21 March 2023 - 05:10 AM

Yes, they are just like Kelowna, punching well above their weight.

You could have one Dash 8 departing Comox for YYJ as a catchall from the central Island, feeding into our flights. It’s just not happening, but geography isn’t a deterrent in that regard, ‘the way its always been done’ is more so the reason.

We shall see, I guess. A new CEO might have some tricks up his sleeve.
  • Missed Approach likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6643 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 608 posts

Posted 22 March 2023 - 11:39 AM

I for one am looking forward to a new CEO.   ( I once heard someone call YYJ the Oak Bay of Canadian airports )  :whyme:

Maybe James Bogusz would come back to YYJ from YQR, his energy and personality in front of the TV and any interaction I had with him when I worked there, was so positive and so happy to be at work.

Geoff's idea of marketing, is they will come if they want. And flying cars are coming soon, over and over in every presentation he makes.

• Nparker and lanforod like this

#6644 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 22 March 2023 - 12:03 PM

James Bogusz returning to Victoria would be a real, real plus for YYJ. He would make a great CEO here.
  • Missed Approach likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6645 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 608 posts

Posted 23 March 2023 - 03:25 PM

Returning to in-person meeting after 3 years.

Annual Public General Meeting and Consultative Committee

2023 Annual Public General Meeting

Date:  Thursday, May 11 , 2023  Time:  7:00 p.m.

Location:  Mary Winspear Centre, 2243 Beacon Avenue, Sidney, BC

Please click here to RSVP your attendance at the Annual Public General Meeting.

2023 Airport Consultative Committee Meeting Schedule and Agendas
Fall Airport Consultative Committee Meeting

Date:  Tuesday, October 17, 2023
Time:  1:30 p.m.

#6646 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,995 posts

Posted 25 March 2023 - 10:02 AM

Now we’re talking.

United Airlines seeks to launch commercial flying taxi service in Chicago within 2 years

Electric vertical takeoff and landing (eVTOL) aircraft taxi service projected to cost about as much as an Uber Black trip from Vertiport Chicago to O'Hare International Airport

https://www.foxbusin...chicago-2-years

C9F9826E-EE07-41E4-9888-66F739DC8724.jpeg

Archer's Midnight aircraft will be able to carry up to four United customers at a time, transporting them as far as 100 miles at speeds as fast as 150 miles per hour.

Ideal for Victoria to Vancouver.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 March 2023 - 10:06 AM.

#6647 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 25 March 2023 - 11:06 AM

^ 4 people at a time might take a while!

#6648 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,995 posts

Posted 25 March 2023 - 11:07 AM

Once they get rid of the onboard pilot it’ll be economical. There should be at best one pilot for each 5 machines. “Flying” them from the command centre.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 March 2023 - 11:09 AM.

#6649 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 608 posts

Posted 26 March 2023 - 03:06 PM

Lynx I guess is sticking around this summer, even after leaving this week with just 27 passengers on their YYC flight

Lynx Air expansion in the west and east this summer.

https://canadianavia...on-and-kelowna/

#6650 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 26 March 2023 - 03:45 PM

Lynx has worse reviews than Flair and is more expensive. Pretty tough to pull customers that way.
Both of them suck due to only having late evening flights.

#6651 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 26 March 2023 - 09:42 PM

Lynx has worse reviews than Flair and is more expensive. Pretty tough to pull customers that way.
Both of them suck due to only having late evening flights.

Those flight times are great for me. Full day of work on Friday, hop on a plane. Back Sunday evening.

#6652 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,995 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 05:51 PM

WestJet flight (2017):

Too Close! Airplane Nearly Lands on HOTEL!

Imagine sitting in your #hotel room on a tropical island, casually looking out through your window and seeing the landing lights from a #Boeing 737 which is coming straight for you at an altitude of only 50 feet over the sea! This might sound like a #movie scene but it actually happened on the island of Sint Maarten a few years back and the fascinating story of what lead up to this, is what I will be covering today so stay tuned.

VIDEO:

https://youtu.be/218DQqAVkoQ

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 March 2023 - 05:58 PM.

#6653 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 608 posts

Posted 31 March 2023 - 04:22 PM

Could YYJ fall yet again from place 11, and become the 12th busiest airport in Canada ?  ........ pretty close.

Was curious to how things at YXX, (Abbotsford International), differed from YYJ after a friend traveled to Mexico on airline points, and departed from YVR and returned via YXX

YXX is well served by WestJet, WestJet Encore, Flair and Swoop  and to multiple sun destinations 

Between Flair and Swoop, both operate several times per week, flights to Mazatlán, PVR, SJD and even LAS in the USA.

For an area, ( Langley to Chilliwack ) I Est about 600,000 ppl feeding YXX, I still can't get over how YYJ only has once a week service to only 2 Mexican destinations 

In 2022, YXX was able to hit 990,000 and change, up from 550,00 in 2021. YYJ came up 1.4 in 2022 while YLW hit 1.7  

#6654 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 02 April 2023 - 04:14 AM

This is not sustainable.

Capture.PNG

#6655 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 02 April 2023 - 04:19 AM

Capture.PNG

#6656 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,995 posts

Posted 02 April 2023 - 04:21 AM

Not sustainable, but oooooh so good for the consumer.   :wave:

Keeps the big airlines on their toes too.

screenshot-www.westjet.com-2023.04.02-08_35_13.png

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 02 April 2023 - 04:35 AM.

#6657 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 02 April 2023 - 10:42 AM

The Lynx and Flair fares presume that you have no luggage (carry-on or checked). Add that in (to match the basic Westjet offering) and you are more expensive than Westjet!

You are also assuming that Flair will still be around to honour your flight!

#6658 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 02 April 2023 - 12:42 PM

The Lynx and Flair fares presume that you have no luggage (carry-on or checked). Add that in (to match the basic Westjet offering) and you are more expensive than Westjet!

You are also assuming that Flair will still be around to honour your flight!

The $2 and $3 base fares barely cover the credit card transaction fees that the airlines must pay on the full amount, including the taxes and airport AIFs. Sure, the traveller might pay for seat selection or a bag, but they also might not.

If someone buys a $25 flight on Lynx, do you really think they'll be looking to shell out $60+ on a carry on bag? Chances are they'll do everything they can to fit within the personal item allowance (6” x 13” x 17”). You can bring a small backpack at no extra charge.

Flair's carry on fees are more reasonable, but again a small backpack fits within the personal item guidelines and isn't charged. 

Yup, Westjet's predatory pricing will surely hasten Flair's demise. Pay $30 more for a choice of flight times, better reliability, carry on if you need it, etc... Slam dunk for most. Then Flair dies and instantly Westjet is back to $200+ pricing on the Edmonton route.

Edited by vortoozo, 02 April 2023 - 12:45 PM.

#6659 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,995 posts

Posted 02 April 2023 - 12:51 PM

The $2 and $3 base fares barely cover the credit card transaction fees that the airlines must pay on the full amount, including the taxes and airport AIFs. 

I LOVE it, like how Amazon lost money for their first 20 years.   :farmer:

I know, vortoozo, you cheer for higher prices.  The consumer does not.  Never has, never will.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 02 April 2023 - 12:53 PM.

• Matt R. likes this

#6660 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 02 April 2023 - 01:56 PM

I LOVE it, like how Amazon lost money for their first 20 years.   :farmer:

I know, vortoozo, you cheer for higher prices.  The consumer does not.  Never has, never will.

Flair does not have the pockets to lose money for 20 years.

If their business model is not sustainable, then they disappear and market prices increase significantly. We've seen it over and over again.

Cheering for low prices that last a year or two is hardly consumer-friendly in the long run. Best case scenario is that Flair sticks around to keep the rest of the market in check. But to do that, they can't be offering $2 flights.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users