• Please log in to reply
7625 replies to this topic

#81 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 03:00 PM

Here's the AC Embraer's executive class:

I guess it's replacing the trusty old 737, which I see Air Canada phased out in 2004. I remember taking it from Victoria to Vancouver.

Air Canada:

[The 737 was] the only jet airliner operating daily from an 1,100-metre (3,609 foot) runway - in all kinds of weather.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#82 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 09:38 PM

The extension will almost certainly be toward the hiway not Pat Bay.

The airport already owns the property. The problem with the housing in close proximity limits the amount of approach lighting you can have, there
will be abbreviated approach lites on the east end with full lighting on the west end, which would make that your preferential runway in reduced visibility or night conditions.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#83 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 12:49 PM

When I am travelling I usually fly out of Vancouver or Seattle, and take the ferry over pre-flight. I do this because about 10 years ago I checked into the price of a plane out and discovered it was way cheaper to get over to Van or Seattle airport then it was to get to Vic airport from downtown then fly over. I wonder if that has changed?
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#84 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 02:08 PM

Years ago I took a regional plane from Port Angeles to Seattle and then on to my destination after changing planes. That way you eliminate that tedious trip up the peninsula.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#85 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 02:18 PM

It is getting close in price. I mean if you take the PCL than that 43 dollars a person from downtown but the time is also quite a commitment and it only works for flights that are leaving after lunch. Also if you have to stay over in Vancouver on the way or the way back than it is definitley cheaper to fly out of Victoria. I figure if it is 200 or less of a difference than I might as well fly out of Victoria, if it is more than it is worth it.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#86 bcradio

bcradio
  • 121 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 05:31 PM

The ACA294 (the E190) departs Victoria for Vancouver, but then goes on to Winnipeg. It might make more efficient use of ramp space to have it parked in Victoria for a few hours at night rather than Vancouver.

Some shots of Air Canada 294 departing Victoria last month.

#87 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 05:39 PM

The ACA294 (the E190) departs Victoria for Vancouver, but then goes on to Winnipeg. It might make more efficient use of ramp space to have it parked in Victoria for a few hours at night rather than Vancouver.

Some shots of Air Canada 294 departing Victoria last month.

My understanding is that at low altitude, like Vic-Van the turbo props are much more efficient than jets.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#88 bcradio

bcradio
  • 121 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 06:11 PM

That's true, but this jet arrives in Victoria late night from Toronto. There's already an A320 at YYJ bound for Toronto already, so this guy does the Vancouver-Winnipeg run in the am. Doesn't look like the best use of resources, but in the big picture is likely makes sense.

My understanding is that at low altitude, like Vic-Van the turbo props are much more efficient than jets.

#89 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 06:43 AM

My friend who flies one of these says that they are extremely efficient and with the higher capacity most likely a very profitable hop. Good call on the apron space BCRadio and thanks for the pics!

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#90 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 07:08 AM

Nanaimo hopes for flight link to Victoria

CanWest News Service
Published: Wednesday, August 29, 2007

The City of Nanaimo is hoping to spur the seaplane business to tackle a new route to Victoria -- if they can prove there is a market.

For the next month, a consumer survey will be posted on the city's website (http://www.nanaimo.ca) to assess whether people are willing to pay for a harbour to harbour flight from Nanaimo to Victoria.

Economic development officer Marilyn Hutchinson says she has had several people express an interest in the service.

Many Nanaimo residents travel to Victoria daily for business trips or for medical treatment, she said.

The survey results will be compiled in a report and sent to the float plane businesses in Nanaimo.

"Transportation is so important for all the communities on Vancouver Island," Hutchinson said. "We hope to have some real positive interest."

Seair Seaplanes manager Brian Potentier says he fields up to a dozen requests a week for the service.

"There are people looking for that, whether they would pay more, I don't know."

The distance between Victoria and Nanaimo is nearly double to that from the Harbour City to Vancouver, which would likely have an impact on rates, he said.

Randy Wright of Harbour Air Seaplanes said it could cost between $100 and $120 for the trip.

"Aircrafts are expensive pieces of machinery," he said.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#91 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 09:42 AM

It costs $120 for a one-way flight to Coal Harbour from the Inner Harbour on West Coast Air, so what's the big deal?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#92 hungryryno

hungryryno
  • 79 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 12:29 PM

Last April my family took a trip to Southern California, and on the return trip our AC A319 dpearted LAX at around 5pm to Vancouver. The same plane then came over to Victoria. We found it hilarious because this was not a direct with a stopover flight. We all got off went thought customs as it was the end of this flight for all, then went back to the same plane to come to Victoria.

We found it interesting to that a flight from Vancouver to Los Angeles cost the exact same as Victoria to Vancouver to Los Angeles, so the connecting flight from here to YVR was free!

#93 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 01:42 PM

^You went through customs then got back on the same plane? You could have stashed a kilo of cocaine under your seat cushion.

#94 rchauhan

rchauhan
  • 70 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 04:30 PM

Nov 9, 2007 11:06am

The Master Plan for Victoria International Airport will guide the development of the airport over the next 20-year period 2005 - 2025.

We invite you to read our Draft Master Plan Executive Summary and provide any comments you may have to us at feedback@victoriaairport.com. A Public Consulation Open House is also planned for November 21st from 7:00 - 9:00 pm at Mary Winspear - Sanscha Hall in Sidney.

The Draft Master Plan Executive Summary can be read at http://www.victoriaa...ed 8Nov2007.pdf

#95 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 11:38 PM

Interesting piece of news in the Business Examiner, by Steve Weatherbe: Lengthen it and they will come (11/04/07).

The plan is to stretch Victoria’s runway and draw European flights

“If we build they will come,” says Terry Stewart, the Victoria Airport Authority’s director of operations and development, of plans afoot to extend the airport’s 7,000-ft. landing strip another 1,500 feet.

Long enough, says Stewart, for Boeing 767s or 787s to take off with 250-260 passengers and enough fuel to get to Europe.

“We could fly two or three planeloads to London out of here a week,” says Stewart. “If we make the field big enough, some airlines will see their opportunity.”

The idea is in the conceptual stage now, part of the renewing of the authority’s 20-year master plan. Public input is being sought, and a business case will follow.

Stewart says the extension will cost around $20 million. Funding support will be sought from provincial and federal governments, with the authority kicking in from its own sources: concessions, property rents, and the airport tax.

No land purchases will be necessary says Stewart. “Our footprint is big enough to accommodate this.”

What has held Victoria back so far is that it sits in the shadow of two air “superhubs,” he adds: Seattle and Vancouver. But they are getting crowded, and Victoria is getting big enough to fill bigger planes.

“Right now people are taking Horizon to Seattle and Jazz to Vancouver and switching planes,” he says, as well as BC Ferries to Vancouver.

A European-Victoria link can only enhance business and tourism traffic. BE

That's fine, and I'd love direct flights from Victoria to London. But I would also just add that direct flights from Victoria to San Jose airport in CA would do wonders for enhancing the high tech business climate on Southern Vancouver Island/ Greater Victoria -- which is something to focus on, given that high tech has overtaken tourism in economic terms.

BTW, does anyone know how to find Steve Weatherbe's editorials in Business Examiner, now that the website has a new (re)design? I was looking for it, as it was a pretty good one, but damned if it's on line... ??
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#96 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 09:49 AM

I commend the airport's leaders for having the drive to get things done. They're always on the ball and do whatever it takes to ensure the airport gets what it needs and does what its passengers want it to do. Too bad the airport board doesn't run the tourism board ;)

Btw, it would appear that the runway will be extended in both directions although I do not understand why they're extending it to fit slightly larger aircraft and not accommodate the largest passenger aircraft (747s, Airbus A340s, etc). It would make sense to get it done once and for all like Kelowna is interested in doing.

#97 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 10:50 AM

^ Not sure but truly the large aircraft are going to less and less cities anyways. The report was interesting but they should be moving forward on the extension now. Especially with our tourist numbers about to drop due to the dollar we need ways for people from other places to get here easily.

Also I like Ms. B's suggestion. Do we have any SF - Vic direct flights currently? Perhaps those would be more popular right off the bat rather than San Jose but of course I am just guessing. Currently to SF when I have flown I have gone on Horizon to Seattle and then changed planes.

The terminal expansion inthe drawings is quite impressive I must say and Aastra would get his wish with numerous jetways so people would not always be walking in the rain.

Still there needs to be easier access to the airport by transit and from the highway.

#98 rchauhan

rchauhan
  • 70 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 12:53 PM

Nope. There are no SF - Vic direct flights at the moment.

#99 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 01:04 PM

Apparently lots of passengers head for LA from Victoria but they need to transfer in either Seattle or Vancouver. So I would imagine a direct flight between the two will be coming down the pipes sooner or later.

IMO, before Victoria starts looking at flights to Europe or Asia it should build a strong regional and cross-border network. I think more benefit for locals would come from stronger regional routes than an international route that someone may use once or perhaps twice every few years. Tourists are going to fly into the major cities, anyways, so offering direct flights with tourists in mind is bogus.

#100 rchauhan

rchauhan
  • 70 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 01:08 PM

Here is a list of the current airlines and destinations from Victoria International: http://en.wikipedia....nd_destinations

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users