Photo

Non-City of Victoria projects with no threads

• Please log in to reply
1450 replies to this topic

#761 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,761 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 12:37 PM

...I believe this is this a revival of this project: http://vibrantvictor...oreys-canceled/

Earlier renderings suggested a much more attractive project.

• sdwright.vic likes this

#762 FirstTimeHomeCrier

FirstTimeHomeCrier
  • 357 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 01:00 PM

Stumbled on a new project coming to esquimalt

http://www.corvettelanding.com

Introducing The Corvette Landing, the Newest Modular Construction project in Greater Victoria. The building utalizing an off-site construction method and an innovative design strategy
There are renderings on the site

"Washer/Dryer in select residences."

Nobody wants to pay new-build prices and have shared laundry.

• VicHockeyFan, Nparker and Love the rock like this

#763 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,761 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 11:40 AM

Here's an interesting proposal: 

...Cameo, a mixed-use project by Alberta-based Casman Properties...will reinvent the corner of Sidney Avenue and Third Street, across from the Town of Sidney’s Municipal Hall, will sport as many as 50 condominiums built over commercial space that will feature a new and improved Star Cinema...

http://www.timescolo...osal-1.23095774

• Jackerbie likes this

#764 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 16 November 2017 - 12:37 PM

^ Great to see the ol' Star Cinema staying in Sidney!

• Rob Randall and Nparker like this

#765 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 08:00 PM

Came in the mail

Attached Images

• 848E2231-8F55-48F3-BFBE-DD0573952F18.jpeg

#766 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 08:38 PM

Cool, thank you!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#767 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 05:40 PM

https://www.saanichn...ng-development/

Council unanimously postponed the proposed project on N. Dairy behind Hillside Mall. Multiple concerns were cited, including insufficient surface parking (due to not going underground due to costs) and height (a shocking four *gasps* floors).

#768 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 05:57 PM

^thats absolutely hilarious. That tiny little building would get passed without a second thought in Langford.. Nanaimo.. courtenay.. Campbell river.. literally any other city. “Height and massing concerts” in what world?!?
  • Nparker likes this

#769 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 06:03 PM

It’s across from the freaking mall parking lot, it’s not in the middle of Broadmead. Wtf.
  • sebberry likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#770 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,761 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 06:04 PM

...Council unanimously postponed the proposed project on N. Dairy behind Hillside Mall. Multiple concerns were cited, including insufficient surface parking (due to not going underground due to costs) and height (a shocking four *gasps* floors).

Remind me again of the so-called housing crisis in our region?

• sebberry likes this

#771 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 06:05 PM

I actually agree with Saanich council. We should be aiming for better than surface parking.

#772 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 06:20 PM

I actually agree with Saanich council. We should be aiming for better than surface parking.

In that case they would have to go taller so that’s clearly not the issue
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

#773 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 06:39 PM

Agree on that point, surface parking is not an efficient use of space when more housing is needed. Abstract did cite concerns about the cost of going below grade, so I dunno. As for height, the building just to the east is already three floors, but the roofline is less impactful. Some revision to this proposal to soften the appearance of the fourth floor may be needed.

#774 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,761 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 06:43 PM

...Some revision to this proposal to soften the appearance of the fourth floor may be needed.

Only in the CRD would this ever be necessary.  :whyme:

#775 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 06:49 PM

Agree on that point, surface parking is not an efficient use of space when more housing is needed. 

Tell that to UVic.  They have more surface parking sq. footage than education building footprint sq. footage, despite the fact that every student has a "free" bus pass.

screenshot-www.google.ca-2017-12-08-18-50-35-455.png

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 08 December 2017 - 06:54 PM.

• Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#776 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,761 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 07:02 PM

...Council unanimously postponed the proposed project on N. Dairy behind Hillside Mall. Multiple concerns were cited, including insufficient surface parking...and height (a shocking four *gasps* floors).

I can certainly see why Saanich Council wouldn't want to set a precedent in the Hillside area with a hulking 4-storey building with expansive surface parking...it would entirely ruin the character of the neighbourhood.  :whyme:

s & nd.JPG

Edited by Nparker, 08 December 2017 - 07:37 PM.

#777 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,761 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 07:37 PM

I am having trouble understanding Saanich's sudden concern regarding 4-storey buildings and surface parking in the Hillside/North Dairy area.

Capture2.JPG

#778 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 07:51 PM

The rule seems to be: new & half-decently attractive 4-story apartments with small footprints are bad, whereas old & bland 4-story apartments with very large footprints are not bad. Repetition of the same design across multiple buildings is also a plus re: existing developments.

#779 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 10:53 PM

Those apartments won't need surface parking once the buildings fill up with people who don't have cars but have bicycles, which will come in handy once North Dairy becomes a dedicated 'cross town cycle path*.

I saw the design by VHF

#780 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 11:19 PM

Tell that to UVic.  They have more surface parking sq. footage than education building footprint sq. footage, despite the fact that every student has a "free" bus pass.

Two points. One, UVic has not added new surface parking in a long time, and in fact have been steadily reducing it to build new infrastructure. It’s one of the reasons why they built a multi level parkade. They have no plans for any new surface parking, and most of their surface parking was built at a time when surface parking was encouraged. And second, the U-Pass is not free, it’s just heavily subsidized on account of the amount of customers it brings to BC Transit. But UVic students specifically pay for it in their tuition fees.

So the whole “tell that to UVic” notion is a little silly, considering how they are actively reducing their surface parking in favour of more buildings and high density parking, which is kind of exactly what everyone should be doing.
  • Jackerbie likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users