Photo

Non-City of Victoria projects with no threads

• Please log in to reply
1449 replies to this topic

#1101 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 10:33 PM

Yeah I used to live near this project site (my parents' old house). Aside from parks and churches, there's few attractions except the coffee place on Tyndall and the gas station at Mckenzie. If I recall right there was a concept long ago for doing a small strip mall on Tyndall next to where the soccer fields are, but houses got built instead.

As far as I know there's still the empty lot outlined in the attached image. I used to cut through there on my way to and from school at Lambrick Park, way back in the day. 

Attached Images

• empty lot.png

#1102 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 29 January 2020 - 01:45 PM

Abstract's application for 992 Gorge Road West is in. No perspectives or rendering for this project, though. No change from the Citifed profile (148 condos, 18 townhouses).

Site plan: https://www.saanich....rge20191224.pdf

Elevations: https://www.saanich....0191224elev.pdf

Landscape plan: https://www.saanich....0191224land.pdf

EDIT: Abstract must have made almost a dozen rezoning applications between November and now, Saanich's development tracker is absolutely full of them. Big changes coming to the Shelbourne and Quadra corridors, it looks like!

Edited by Jackerbie, 29 January 2020 - 01:53 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#1103 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,013 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 05:32 AM

The housing crisis in Greater Victoria will continue, but the anti-development signs planted in front of Oak Bay homes have been removed. At least for now.

Last week the Oak Bay United Church congregation voted to step back and will not move forward with its latest proposal for a rental housing development that would have put between 36 to 68 housing units within 250 metres of Oak Bay Village.

https://www.vicnews....ny-development/

dodged a massive bullet here.  imagine those 36 to 68 housing units within a 1/4 km of the village.  

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 15 February 2020 - 05:32 AM.

• E2V likes this

#1104 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 07:54 AM

Should we note this as cancelled?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1105 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 08:00 AM

We should note this as NIMBY-ed.

#1106 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 12:23 PM

Looks like there is finally a proposal for the lot that has sat vacant after the previous heritage house burned down:

https://aryze.ca/pro...-foul-bay-road/

The fire was 4 years ago. 

Interesting bit - one of the previous owners was originally arrested on suspicion of arson:

https://www.timescol...roved-1.7000080

Another interesting bit - only found out about the proposed development after a legal notice was published in the Feb 12 Victoria News re removing a covenant on the property. In a quick search, couldn't find that notice online. 

#1107 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 12:26 PM

Oops - looks like I put my previous post in the wrong thread. Meant to post in City of Victoria. 

Suggestions on how to move it?

#1108 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 03:16 PM

Oops - looks like I put my previous post in the wrong thread. Meant to post in City of Victoria. Suggestions on how to move it?

Grease the palms of the right VV administrator.

• Redd42 likes this

#1109 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 03:23 PM

Think there might even be a thread on this house as I remember discussion about it when it burnt down.

#1110 tiger11

tiger11
  • 163 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 06:40 PM

I addition to all the other recent applications, Abstract also recently acquired a site on Carey Road.

• Mike K. likes this

#1111 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 27 February 2020 - 08:41 AM

NIMBYism/"fear of height" rears its ugly head along Shelbourne.

...A key feature of the developers’ bid for six storeys on Shelbourne Street is their offer to donate a strip of land, 3.65 [meters] wide, intended to be used as a bike lane, a boulevard and a sidewalk...Damant said that six storeys on Shelbourne is an “appropriate scale.”...Nearby resident Jim Johnson, of Stockton Crescent, said, “It’s the six storeys that I have a problem with. … It doesn’t fit there.”...

https://vibrantvicto...threads/page-56

And of course, won't somebody please think of the children.

...Other people are worried about an increase in vehicle traffic in a neighbourhood where children play in the streets...

#1112 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 27 February 2020 - 08:49 AM

#!@@$!!&*%(!!  Seriously?   Do these people with kids want to make sure their kids have to leave the CRD because there is not enough housing?    And who in their right mind ever thought Shelbourne would not be going to six stories?   I could have told you that 35 years ago when I first moved here that Shelbourne was going to eventually be lined medium height apartment buildings or condos in the future.

• Nparker likes this

#1113 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 27 February 2020 - 08:54 AM

I just hope the day never comes when kids can't play on Shelbourne Street because traffic is too heavy.

• Nparker likes this

#1114 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 27 February 2020 - 10:12 AM

#!@@$!!&*%(!!  Seriously?   Do these people with kids want to make sure their kids have to leave the CRD because there is not enough housing?    And who in their right mind ever thought Shelbourne would not be going to six stories?   I could have told you that 35 years ago when I first moved here that Shelbourne was going to eventually be lined medium height apartment buildings or condos in the future.

Shelbourne Valley Action Plan, which was just adopted in May 2017, indicates maximum building heights of 4 storeys for the majority of Shelbourne, including the site at Stockton Crescent. You can disagree all you want with the contents of the Plan, but it's poor form to adopt a maximum building height and then ignore it three years later. Note that the boxed number indicates the maximum number of storeys in the Plan.

Capture.PNG

#1115 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 27 February 2020 - 10:26 AM

Shelbourne Valley Action Plan, which was just adopted in May 2017, indicates maximum building heights of 4 storeys for the majority of Shelbourne...

Incredibly short-sighted (no pun intended).

#1116 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 27 February 2020 - 10:27 AM

I'm hearing two visions in this discussion:

1. Those who want a rhythm of taller village clusters with smaller heights in between
  2. Those who want a consistent density corridor all the way

Both are viable and both have their pros and cons but saying one is better than the other is wrong. Saanich has decided to go with the first.

#1117 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 27 February 2020 - 11:02 AM

When was the last time a new 2-3 storey condo building was built in Victoria?  1989?

#1118 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 27 February 2020 - 11:05 AM

Jigsaw on Fort, circa 2001?

#1119 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 27 February 2020 - 11:19 AM

There are plenty in the neighbourhoods.

#1120 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 27 February 2020 - 11:20 AM

When was the last time a new 2-3 storey condo building was built in Victoria?  1989?

Those 2-3 storey blocks have a townhouse designation. The intent of the plan is to have a higher density corridor along Shelbourne that gradually transitions down to the existing single-family neighbourhoods on either side. Nodes of taller buildings are planned at village centres and important intersections to provide variety.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users