Non-City of Victoria projects with no threads

• Please log in to reply
1450 replies to this topic

#1081 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 12 December 2019 - 09:43 AM

An interesting proposal in Sidney for workforce rental housing at 2140 Skylark Lane. 3-storeys containing 12 units, each unit has a storage locker and a parking space. In a residential neighbourhood that is tucked between the highway, the airport, and the industrial park.

Drawing here: http://www.sidney.ca...ne_Drawings.pdf

Lots of discussion on this one at the Council meeting on Monday. In the end, Council endorsed the staff recommendation to require the applicant to arrange an open house event with staff in attendance. Note that this event will not be the Public Hearing.

• Nparker likes this

#1082 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 02:23 PM

Have we seen this image of 3839 Quadra before?

• newbie_01 likes this

#1083 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 16 December 2019 - 02:45 PM

^ I haven't seen the rendering, just the elevations from the application

Speaking of Abstract, I don't think there has been any mention of their Quadra@Palmer project. Replaces single-family homes at 3839, 3851, and 3861 Quadra Street. 6 storeys, 78 strata apartments, underground parking. They'll go through hell over the height I imagine, as the older apartments in the vicinity are 4-5 storeys. The drawings are here: https://www.saanich....jan3119elev.pdf

#1084 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,051 posts

Posted 23 December 2019 - 05:43 AM

The owner of a Sidney property plans to sell it after council denied an application for a three-storey mixed use development on Sidney’s westside.

It called for six bachelor suites, four one-bedrooms and one two-bedroom suite.

19907335_web1_residential_development-12

Rob Pringle, senior architectural technologist at Joe Newell Architect, said the owner of 2140 Skylark Lane plans to sell the lot after councillors meeting as committee of the whole voted down the project by a vote of 4-3. The development advertised as affordable housing called for 12 units, including two live-work units on the ground floor.

Mayor Cliff McNeil-Smith joined Couns. Scott Garnett, Terri O’Keeffe, Chad Rintoul in voting against the application. Couns. Sara Duncan, Barbara Fallot and Peter Wainwright opposed denial.

https://www.vicnews....rhood-concerns/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 December 2019 - 05:49 AM.

#1085 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 07 January 2020 - 10:13 AM

No application or rendering yet, but apparently there's a five lot consolidation on Quadra where a 4-storey apartment and commerical building plus 8 townhouses is proposed. 4089 Quadra which is the Taber music school. Not 100% sure on the other four properties involved.

Application is in for this one (4087/4089 Quadra, 944 Nicholson), unfortunately only elevations and site plans, no perspectives. Victoria Design Group is the architect, the applicants are Ad Lib Holdings Ltd., Dave Paulson, and Linda Gould. 

Proposal is for 22 apartments units in three storeys above a single storey commercial base, which would include new digs for the Taber Music School. The earlier townhouse concept appears to have been dropped from the proposal, and the consolidation is now only three lots, resulting in an odd L-shape.

Currently:

Capture.PNG

Edited by Jackerbie, 07 January 2020 - 10:14 AM.

#1086 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 10:21 AM

Fingers crossed that they maintain the (rare for Saanich) neighbourhood commercial format with minimal setbacks and don't do the strip mall thing.

Edit: and now I'm looking at Jackerbie's links and trying to figure out what the Quadra Street side would be like.

Edited by aastra, 07 January 2020 - 10:24 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#1087 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 07 January 2020 - 11:08 AM

^ A relatively small presence on Quadra, though with almost no setback*. There's a landscaped plaza proposed, with piano-inspired details. Here are the landscape plans

*Unfortunately, it doesn't look like Saanich is taking this opportunity to relocate the sidewalk. Instead, there will be a very wide grass boulevard between the sidewalk and the building, instead of between the sidewalk and the road. Hopefully this is corrected, as they are taking a road dedication...

Capture.PNG

• newbie_01 likes this

#1088 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,051 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 05:04 AM

Starlight Village

somehow i do not think they used a professional marketing team for their copy.

ABOUT STARLIGHT VILLAGE

Starlight Village is the ideal alternative to condo living.  These affordable single entry level homes were designed with living and comfort in mind.  Enjoy cooking for yourself or friends in this upgraded kitchen which includes, quartz and stainless steel appliance package. You are sure to have space and comfort in the vaulted living and dining area. All homes are equipped with heat pump systems. You will never be too hot or too cold again.  Step outside to your fully fenced private backyard.  Come visit us at Starlight Village. We are just as excited as you are to call it home.

https://starlightvil...edium=community

the first sentence is ok but then it goes downhill from there.

"single entry level homes" - ?  so they are entry level homes and there is only one or in singles or they are one-level homes with only a single entry?

glad they designed them with living in mind.

cooking for yourself! new concept indeed.  with that extra vaulted space.  to cook.  

heat pump ok.  never be too hot or too cold again?  is that a common issue with housing these days?  and they have overcome that?

there are also no photos or renderings of the homes.  there are floorplans.  and it says there will be a showhome by november.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 January 2020 - 05:12 AM.

#1089 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 13 January 2020 - 02:15 PM

Have we seen this one before? 4080 Gordon Head Road, corner of Gordon Head and Feltham Road. Four-storey apartment building with 76 units and one CRU at the corner, plus six three-storey buildings containing 23 townhouses. No idea about unit sizes or tenure.

Ekistics Architecture for Abstract Developments.

Site plans: https://www.saanich....ead20191227.pdf

Elevations: https://www.saanich....0191227elev.pdf

Landscape plans: https://www.saanich....0191227land.pdf

#1090 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 02:19 PM

Starlight Village

somehow i do not think they used a professional marketing team for their copy.

ABOUT STARLIGHT VILLAGE

Starlight Village is the ideal alternative to condo living.  These affordable single entry level homes were designed with living and comfort in mind.  Enjoy cooking for yourself or friends in this upgraded kitchen which includes, quartz and stainless steel appliance package. You are sure to have space and comfort in the vaulted living and dining area. All homes are equipped with heat pump systems. You will never be too hot or too cold again.  Step outside to your fully fenced private backyard.  Come visit us at Starlight Village. We are just as excited as you are to call it home.

https://starlightvil...edium=community

the first sentence is ok but then it goes downhill from there.

"single entry level homes" - ?  so they are entry level homes and there is only one or in singles or they are one-level homes with only a single entry?

glad they designed them with living in mind.

cooking for yourself! new concept indeed.  with that extra vaulted space.  to cook.  

heat pump ok.  never be too hot or too cold again?  is that a common issue with housing these days?  and they have overcome that?

there are also no photos or renderings of the homes.  there are floorplans.  and it says there will be a showhome by november.

Is this some kind of 99 year lease deal?  It is on the reservation is it not?

#1091 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,051 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 02:23 PM

yes lease.

#1092 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 10:49 AM

Have we seen this one before? 4080 Gordon Head Road, corner of Gordon Head and Feltham Road. Four-storey apartment building with 76 units and one CRU at the corner, plus six three-storey buildings containing 23 townhouses. No idea about unit sizes or tenure.

Ekistics Architecture for Abstract Developments.

Site plans: https://www.saanich....ead20191227.pdf

Elevations: https://www.saanich....0191227elev.pdf

Landscape plans: https://www.saanich....0191227land.pdf

I've long wondered if that empty lot would ever be built on. Interesting prospect, apartment buildings are few in that part of GH.

Attached Images

• Annotation 2020-01-14 104628.png

#1093 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,346 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 14 January 2020 - 03:19 PM

That one going to need rezoning? If so I see a big uproar

#1094 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,051 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 03:34 PM

it actually has little immediate neighbours.  but sure there will be some opposition.

#1095 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,761 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 03:39 PM

It couldn't be a true CRD project without some opposition.

#1096 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 14 January 2020 - 03:40 PM

That one going to need rezoning? If so I see a big uproar

Yes, rezoning and development permit.

The Local Area Plan was prepared in 1997, and identifies the property as having potential for single-family subdivision. It is not identified for "future multi-family." This will be one to watch!

#1097 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,051 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 03:46 PM

it sounds like condos.  i think abstract might make a case for aging gordon headers that want to stay in the neighburhood.  not that it is close to any amenities.  except the chevron.  gordon head has to be the largest densist area in the whole city with almost zero commericial.

i mean it's all sfd but nothing on crazy huge lots except maybe the waterfront.  it's quite something. the area bounded by mckenzie and shelbourne/mt. doug and the water is over half the size of oak bay.  add in 10 mp and mt. doug park and it is the size of oak bay.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 14 January 2020 - 03:53 PM.

#1098 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 05:44 PM

I used to live on Longview Drive just a block away from this proposal. Gordon Head needs more projects like these at prominent intersections, especially ones that include commercial. It's a nice area to walk around but there never was really anything to walk to besides maybe the beach and the one coffee shop at Tyndall and San Juan. Just a big sea of single family homes and a few parks. For that reason I could never live in GH again.

I've always wished there was a "small urban village" at Tyndall and San Juan, given the central location within GH, bus access and the fact that there's already 2-3 businesses there. There's so much empty space at the St Dunstan Anglican Church at that intersection and to me it's just crying out for redevelopment. A few 3-4 storey apartments with commercial would be great, and give GH residents something to walk to.

• Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#1099 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,051 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 06:07 PM

indeed.  i suppose you can only have so many coffee shops though.

#1100 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 06:15 PM

indeed.  i suppose you can only have so many coffee shops though.

Certainly. It'd be nice to be able to walk to a small grocery store, liquor store, pub, hairdresser, restaurant, etc. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)