Photo

Empress hotel reno

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#61 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 08:12 AM

Some south of the border promotion for the dowager of the Inner Harbour. 

https://youtu.be/-vyecMjgivM

#62 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,604 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 11:00 AM

I wonder if they got rid of the rats since I worked there. ....

As for the reno, I have to admit that the moose head on he front desk is a nice touch :)

When did you work there and in which department manuel? Is that a talking moose-head, one that speaks "gooood Eenglish?" :)

When I was there 1983-5 working my way through UVic the big issue was the indestructible cockroach population that infested the old main kitchen. For fun staff would chase them down and pour melted candle wax on them - then scrape up the wax at the end of their shift hours later and sure enough the little buggers would scurry off completely no worse for wear....

#63 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 12:54 PM

...Is that a talking moose-head, one that speaks "gooood Eenglish?" :)....

He learned it from a buuuk.

• AllseeingEye likes this

#64 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 01:37 PM

When did you work there and in which department manuel? Is that a talking moose-head, one that speaks "gooood Eenglish?" :)

When I was there 1983-5 working my way through UVic the big issue was the indestructible cockroach population that infested the old main kitchen. For fun staff would chase them down and pour melted candle wax on them - then scrape up the wax at the end of their shift hours later and sure enough the little buggers would scurry off completely no worse for wear....

It's no secret to most in the industry that we have a pretty serious rodent and cockroach problem in town.  It's contained, and will never be defeated.  But nobody is all that worse off for it I don't think.

• Matt R. likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#65 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,604 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 02:03 PM

It's no secret to most in the industry that we have a pretty serious rodent and cockroach problem in town.  It's contained, and will never be defeated.  But nobody is all that worse off for it I don't think.

Still it was weird if not somewhat disconcerting to see one of those industrial litre-sized mayonnaise containers filled to the brim with 'defunct' cockroaches meanwhile not 50 feet away on the other side of a wall people were happily and blissfully enjoying their expensive meal, heh. As you say its very likely much more common than most consumers care to admit.

Was sitting inside Bridges bar/restaurant on Granville Island a few years ago in summer when they literally roll the west facing wall back and link the inside part of the bar to the outside patio. G-I is infamous for its rats and sure enough in spite of the joint being stuffed with probably 300 humans, presumably because of the aroma of food in came waltzing papa, mama and a bunch of baby rats not the least bit timid nor afraid - never saw so many people get so vocal, so excited and jump so high so fast in my life.

#66 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 09:05 PM

Now that the tourist season is over the $40 Million reno is resuming.

The temp fencing is now up and soon the scaffolding will return.

I sure hope they continue purging the hotel of the remaining Ivy on the 1989 addition where the lobby is

#67 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,555 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 07:29 AM

I was talking to one of the guys involved and they anticipate another seven or eight months of work.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#68 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 07:34 AM

Yes that is accurate they are somewhere near the halfway point. The plan was to stop everything in June so as not to disrupt the tourist season then carry on again Oct to June 2017

#69 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 06 October 2016 - 10:08 AM

I sure hope they continue purging the hotel of the remaining Ivy on the 1989 addition where the lobby is

I seem to recall that earlier news items mentioned that the ivy on the "new" lobby was a different species and was not only going to stay but be introduced to the renovated section as it was less damaging.

The building looks wrong without ivy to me. :)

• Nparker likes this

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#70 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 07:23 PM

Any idea if the skating rink is returning?

#71 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 07:46 PM

it didnt last year and highly unlikely this year due to the ongoing renovations...this year will be cold so some of the farmers fields will freeze

• 57WestHills likes this

#72 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 08:09 PM

it didnt last year and highly unlikely this year due to the ongoing renovations...

My thoughts as well. Funny, one of my co-workers asked me this exact question earlier today.

#73 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 06 October 2016 - 08:36 PM

it didnt last year and highly unlikely this year due to the ongoing renovations...this year will be cold so some of the farmers fields will freeze

La Nina apparently was a bust, so we are more likely to have a normal, mild winter. Still, I wouldn't be surprised to get a cold snap, it's been a while for one those.

#74 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,555 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 07:35 AM

We could do with a nice chill for a couple of weeks.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#75 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 07:23 PM

I'm surprised that as the front of the hotel looks so bare and stark without some plantlife that they didn't put up planters full of flowers on that long balcony over the front entrance. Many hotels have that in Europe and it certainly improves the appearance.

• zoomer likes this

#76 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 08:16 AM

Bare and stark to some is clean and crisp to others!
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#77 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 10:10 AM

Wow, they're making some substantial changes to the lobby by removing a huge chunk of the mezzanine - that's going to open it up and make it feel really spacious.  Putting a gigantic 6m wide, 1,300 kg chandelier in the middle will make it even more Trump like luxurious.

I grabbed a couple of frames from the time-lapse that's part of the TC article - and there's still more mezzanine to remove.  http://www.timescolo...ation-1.2404240

Empress lobby before.png

Empress lobby current.png

Edited by Gary H, 03 November 2016 - 11:06 AM.

• 57WestHills likes this

#78 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 10:49 AM

I'm a little surprised not to have seen any discussions about this on yet on VV .

porte.JPG
http://www.timescolo...s-off-1.4007168

I like it. The main entrance needs to be grander. It's not as though a "porte cochere" isn't already an element of the hotel

porte2.JPG

ps: now bring back the Bengal Lounge and all will be forgiven.  -_-

• todd and 57WestHills like this

#79 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 12:16 PM

I think that will be a huge improvement to the underwhelming "new" lobby.

#80 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 12:33 PM

I like everything that has happened at the Empress since Bosa took over. It's just that simple.  

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users