Empress hotel reno

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#81 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 12:37 PM

I like everything that has happened at the Empress since Bosa took over. It's just that simple.  

Last night at a Christmas dinner, a long-time Empress staffer joined us.  They said that the food and beverage numbers are way down this year, and lots of staff has been cut back as a result.  People are not really warming up to the new lounge.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#82 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 12:56 PM

Last night at a Christmas dinner, a long-time Empress staffer joined us.  They said that the food and beverage numbers are way down this year, and lots of staff has been cut back as a result.  People are not really warming up to the new lounge.

Bottom line is that the 'old' Empress had nostalgia and people paid for that. If you want to rely then on a good but uninspiring bistro then there are 50 other options within a 3 block radius and many of them serve better food and are less expensive.

• Nparker and tedward like this

#83 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 01:18 PM

...a long-time Empress staffer,,,said that the food and beverage numbers are way down this year, and lots of staff has been cut back as a result...

I am all for progress and change in this city(as I believe a majority of my posts suggest, but I still think closing the Bengal Lounge and not replacing it with some sort of other public dining venue was a mistake. The BG was always busy this time of year. The hotel has to be feeling the effects of that.

#84 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 01:32 PM

I've been once. It's great that they've put a lot of effort into modernizing the place but I'm not sure if I'm they're target market any more.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#85 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 01:39 PM

... I'm not sure if I'm their target market any more.

I don't believe attracting locals is part of the Empress' business plan anymore (i.e. changes to the "Friends of the Empress" program). I guess time will tell if there is sufficient tourist volume to make their chosen plan viable.

#86 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 01:44 PM

I don't believe attracting locals is part of the Empress' business plan anymore (i.e. changes to the "Friends of the Empress" program). I guess time will tell if there is sufficient tourist volume to make their chosen plan viable.

Agreed but how many tourists eat at the hotel they are staying at? My general impression of the dining experience at ANY hotel is that it is lackluster and overpriced and thus I seek out local options.

• thundergun likes this

#87 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 01:48 PM

It's great to have a lounge for a drink, for sure, but you're right, few will stick to their hotel day in and day out to eat.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#88 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 01:52 PM

...My general impression of the dining experience at ANY hotel is that it is lackluster and overpriced and thus I seek out local options.

Even more reason to try and attract locals to the hotel's dining establishments.

• tedward likes this

#89 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 02:26 PM

I think that will be a huge improvement to the underwhelming "new" lobby.

The new lobby isn't open yet, is it?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#90 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 02:30 PM

The new lobby isn't open yet, is it?

I suspect Jill means the "1994 new" lobby.

• Jill and sdwright.vic like this

#91 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 02:36 PM

That addition was built before 1994, wasn't it?

#92 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 02:40 PM

Within a year or two of that time.

#93 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 04:04 PM

We always used to go to the Bengal Lounge for a nice lunch, esp. at Christmas. It was one of the few times we actually got dressed up. The buffet was a good choice for someone with an allergy. It's doubtful we'll go anywhere this year. And I think the new furniture in the Empress is downright horrible. Years ago we would go to Kiplings in the basement, but it doesn't seem there's anywhere you can even go for a simple cup of coffee. We need something like Cafe Central in Vienna.

#94 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 04:10 PM

It was built in 1989

#95 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 04:12 PM

5 years not 1 or 2

I am extremely pleased to announce that the Ivy has been removed from there as well as the rest of the building.

Ivy is for old places in Europe not here.

#96 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 04:25 PM

It was built in 1989

It makes little difference if the "new" lobby was added in 1989 or 1994; either way, it was a somewhat ill-conceived addition to the hotel. I am interested to see if the current renovations make this part of the Empress more appealing than it has been for the past 22 - or 27 - years.

And many people like the ivy. I believe a less invasive species is going to be allowed to grow back on the hotel when the current renovations are complete.

...During the restoration, the more invasive English ivy will be removed permanently...Only the Boston ivy, the kind that turns red during the autumn, will be permitted to grow back...

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.qf8Q7VlV.dpuf

#97 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 05:38 PM

It makes little difference if the "new" lobby was added in 1989 or 1994;

It does make a difference thats why it was brought up.

I think you were not yet born in 89 so was just posting so you knew the actual year.

#98 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 05:40 PM

....I think you were not yet born in 89 so was just posting so you knew the actual year.

Bless you. You just made my year.

• aastra, Hotel Mike and HB like this

#99 GabriolaGirl

GabriolaGirl
  • 205 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 06:17 PM

ps: now bring back the Bengal Lounge and all will be forgiven.  -_-

I agree.  And the FOE.

• Nparker likes this

#100 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 10:21 AM

Empress is doing some local radio advertising.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users